Canon Digital Rebel XT & Flash

Old August 17th 06, 04:53 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
PH

Default Canon Digital Rebel XT & Flash

I have an old solartec st320 flash which is not dedicated to the Rebel XT.
Is there any mode or setting on the camera that would work with this flash?
The flash has a multiple burst mode of 3, 6, or 10 plus other features. I
would need a hot shoe adapter to connect the flash but before buying it I
hoped to find out if it was compatible at all.

Old August 17th 06, 07:11 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
C J Southern

First thing to check is the trigger voltage - some of the old flashes are
easily capable of frying a Rebel XT (250v max)

Old August 17th 06, 01:23 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
PH

It does have a manual mode. The voltage has to be checked. It takes 4 AA
batteries at a total voltage of 6v however that might not be the total
output.
Does anyone have a link to where I can find flash and camera settings when
in manual mode. Thanks

"Bill" wrote in message
.. .
PH wrote:

I have an old solartec st320 flash which is not dedicated to the Rebel XT.
Is there any mode or setting on the camera that would work with this
flash?

I'm not familiar with the brand, but if it doesn't have a manual mode,
you probably can't use it effectively.

Old August 17th 06, 09:27 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Fred Anonymous

"PH" wrote in message
It does have a manual mode. The voltage has to be checked. It takes 4 AA
batteries at a total voltage of 6v however that might not be the total
output.
Does anyone have a link to where I can find flash and camera settings when
in manual mode. Thanks

"Bill" wrote in message
.. .
PH wrote:

I have an old solartec st320 flash which is not dedicated to the Rebel

XT.
Is there any mode or setting on the camera that would work with this
flash?

I'm not familiar with the brand, but if it doesn't have a manual mode,
you probably can't use it effectively.

Hmmm .. none of my older Canon flash (300TL, ML3, 420EZ) would work with my
Rebel XT..
Had to buy a 430EX - but it is a lovely flashgun.

Try http://www.weinproducts.com/safesyncs.htm for connecting a flashgun
safely to the camera (protecting against high trigger coltages).
http://www.botzilla.com/photo/strobeVolts.html lists trigger voltages but
doesn't include the Solartec.

Regards, Ian.

Old August 17th 06, 09:57 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Todd H.

"Fred Anonymous" writes:

Hmmm .. none of my older Canon flash (300TL, ML3, 420EZ) would work with my
Rebel XT..
Had to buy a 430EX - but it is a lovely flashgun.

Ian, curious... would the 420EZ though work in dumb flash mode
though--just dumping full power?

I know my 430EZ would work that way (fairely useless) on my G2 (which
is an EX series mount). I never botheed trying the EZ on the 300D
though.

--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/