S1 -- Automatic changes to image size and compression?

Old July 18th 04, 06:44 AM
WhaleShark

Default S1 -- Automatic changes to image size and compression?

Renee wrote:

Hi,

I hope some of my fellow shooters might be able to help me understand
this phenomenon. I can't seem to figure it out:

The camera resolution has been set to L 2048 x 1536, superfine, which
is never manually changed. Yet some of my photos have changed by
themselves to M2 1024 x 768, superfine. In a couple of cases the
images changed to 1707 x 1280, which doesn't even show up on the
resolution chart in the Canon manual.

I can't seem to find a common cause for the changes. I'm using all
different modes such as indoor, outdoor, program, fast shutter, stitch
assist and landscape.

I also noticed that the compression shifts from superfine to fine when
I put the camera in landscape mode. It goes back to superfine when I
put it in program mode.

Has anyone else experienced automatic image size and compression
changes? Does anyone have an idea why this is happening?

Mine seems to have needed setting in auto and the manual modes
seperately. Also, when I remove and reinstall the CF, it gets reset to
L1 again.

--

QUIPd 1.02: (50 of 679)
- If you had to identify, in one word, the reason why the

My photo albums: http://www.pbase.com/sny
Old July 18th 04, 05:23 PM
Dave Martindale

(Renee) writes:

The camera resolution has been set to L 2048 x 1536, superfine, which
is never manually changed. Yet some of my photos have changed by
themselves to M2 1024 x 768, superfine. In a couple of cases the
images changed to 1707 x 1280, which doesn't even show up on the
resolution chart in the Canon manual.

I can't seem to find a common cause for the changes. I'm using all
different modes such as indoor, outdoor, program, fast shutter, stitch
assist and landscape.

Canon cameras remember several different sets of shooting parameters
that can be different between different "blocks" of shooting modes.
For example, you can set one image size and compression level in Auto,
then switch to P and set a different size or compression level. From
then on, Auto continues to use the first set of values, while P
continues to use the second set of values. This also applies to things
like exposure compensation.

If you always want to shoot Large/Superfine, you need to go through
*all* possible shooting modes and make sure they are all set to L/SF.
Once you've set this, you can change modes without resolution changing.

On the other hand, if you deliberately want different settings in
different modes, you need to check all of the shooting mode icons
whenever you change mode to make sure they're the way you want.

I also noticed that the compression shifts from superfine to fine when
I put the camera in landscape mode. It goes back to superfine when I
put it in program mode.

Program mode definitely has different settings than the "creative" modes
on all the Canons I've used.

Has anyone else experienced automatic image size and compression
changes? Does anyone have an idea why this is happening?

I've never had them change automatically - just change back to settings
that I hadn't used for a while.

Dave