Nikon D70 Firmware Update Install Question

Old July 4th 04, 09:22 PM
Don F

Default Nikon D70 Firmware Update Install Question

The Nikon firmware update installation FAQ warns the user not to use a
Lexar jumpshot card reader. I have used the Lexar jumpshot card reader with
absolutely no problem for years.
The transfer of the update file takes place *outside* of the camera. If
the update file is in the root directory (verified) of the CF card as
required, what difference does it make how it got there? Formatting take
place inside the camera ... data is data. Does the jumpshot driver alter
the card in any way?
I can't think of a possible reason for not using the jumpshot but I am
sure Nikon didn't issue this warning just to be difficult. I don't want to
buy a card reader just for an occasional update when the one I have is
trouble free.
Any ideas?
TIA
Don F

Old July 4th 04, 11:52 PM
John

"Don F" wrote in message
[...]

Not sure why Nikon would specify this, but is there a reason you DON'T want
to follow the instructions as printed (i.e., copy the files to the CF card
while mounted IN the camera, then do the upgrade from there)? Seems to me
that is easier than transferring the files to the card in the card reader,
THEN mounting the card in the camera, etc.

- John

PS - I did the upgrade yesterday and ran into a slight glitch. If I copied
both the A and B firmware updates to the card at the same time, the camera
would only see the B update and never offer to let me update the A side at
all. I eventually wound up copying only the A update first, performing the
update, then copying only the B update and performing the update, which was
successful.

Old July 5th 04, 12:17 AM
Private Person

"John" wrote in message
m...

PS - I did the upgrade yesterday and ran into a slight glitch. If I

copied
both the A and B firmware updates to the card at the same time, the camera
would only see the B update and never offer to let me update the A side at
all. I eventually wound up copying only the A update first, performing

the
update, then copying only the B update and performing the update, which

was
successful.

Actually, if you go to Nikons web page explaining how to do the update, it
specifically says to transfer one-at-a-time and do each seperately. I
followed the
on-line instructions and the update worked fine.

Marc

Old July 5th 04, 12:22 AM
Nanthan chang

Hi,

Before you do the install, check out the D70 forum on dpreview.com. (do a
search under firmware) It seems that a few people "fried" their cameras, by
turning off the camera when the LCD said Done, but the camera top LCD said
PG UP (progress updating?). It seems the back LCD "done" shows up too
early and you can make the camera inoperable if you jump the gun.

to make matters worse, depending on the country, it seems that it may or may
not be under warrenty?

"John" wrote in message
m...

Old July 5th 04, 12:31 AM
John

"Private Person" wrote in message

"John" wrote in message
m...

PS - I did the upgrade yesterday and ran into a slight glitch. If I

copied
both the A and B firmware updates to the card at the same time, the
camera
would only see the B update and never offer to let me update the A side
at
all. I eventually wound up copying only the A update first, performing

the
update, then copying only the B update and performing the update, which

was
successful.

Actually, if you go to Nikons web page explaining how to do the update, it
specifically says to transfer one-at-a-time and do each seperately. I
followed the
on-line instructions and the update worked fine.

Marc

You are so right! I swear I read through the instructions SEVERAL times and
completely missed this part (though it's in bold and repeated several
times). Don't I feel dumb!

- John