Do people still actually use Amigas?

Old February 9th 05, 12:11 PM
Ventzislav Tzvetkov

Default Do people still actually use Amigas?

On 9 Feb 2005 03:07:10 -0800, "Kevin McMurtrie wrote:

Do people still actually use Amigas?

Yes. Visit http://www.amigaworld.net or http://www.amiga.org,
http://www.amiga-news.de for more recent discussions and news.
There are still people using only Amigas, including me. In fact I use
nothing else than Amiga for my computer related tasks.

Why are there so many active
groups for computers that have not been made in so many years.

Some people are used to these computers and switching to other platforms
will cost them bigger effort than to stay with the platform and use
their old hardware and/or software. Nostalgia is also a factor.
Sentimental reasons. Alternative computing is gaining popularity as
well. Hobbyists are also appealed by the old hardware. It's much easier
to hack A500/A1000/A4000 with some desired features, than hacking the
latest PC mobo's which consist of only 4 chips doing everything. Also
there are new generation Amigas based on the PPC architecture, and the
AmigaOS 4, for PPC equiped Amigas (AmigaOne and classic Amigas with PPC
accelerator boards), have been released as developer's prerelease.

Serious
questions.

These serious questions will be knocked down by the regual trolls pretty
soon. Be aware....3...2...1...0..there they go....

--
http://drhirudo.hit.bg

Old February 9th 05, 12:21 PM
Ventzislav Tzvetkov

Sorry if my previous message is offtopic to rec.photo.digital and
rec.photo.equipment.35mm. I noticed that the author set a follow-up to
these newsgroups after sending it. And I see similar message about the
Atari. Again sorry. Will be more careful in the future.

--
http://drhirudo.hit.bg

Old February 9th 05, 01:27 PM
JJ \(UK\)

"Kevin McMurtrie "
wrote in message
oups.com...
Do people still actually use Amigas? Why are there so many active
groups for computers that have not been made in so many years. Serious
questions.

I still have a souped up A1200 but it's not seen the light of day for years.
However, I do use WinUAE on my PCs to take advantage of the meaty graphics
card (compared to the Amiga's graphics at least) with Cinema 4D.

To me the Amiga represents the biggest wasted opportunity by the computer
industry. Largely thanks to Commodores' short sightedness. Shame.

JJ (UK)

Old February 9th 05, 02:23 PM
jean

A side note, I have a C-LTD RTC (Real Time Clock) for an A1000 to give away,
if anyone still uses or know someone still using an A1000 I will send it to
them, all I ask is for postage to be paid.

send mail to jeandr at bigfoot dot com

Jean

PS I had a nice collection of Amigas (A1000, A2000, A3000) but sadly the PC
had more features when networks came on the scene and the old Amiga was then
left on the shelf. I gave all my old hardware and software to a local
computer museum.