Any portable DVD recorders to copy flash media without a PC?

Old December 21st 04, 02:00 AM
Nick

Default Any portable DVD recorders to copy flash media without a PC?

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_...onics_mfr.html

We plan to avoid lugging around a laptop but will still need a way to
offload large quantities of photos on the road.
Something like the item listed above would be better if there was a
version that could record on DVDs.

I to take a 1GB SD memory card on a 5 week vacation to Europe and take
advantage of the movie mode of my camera as much as possible so we will
end up filling the card daily with photos and videos.
A stack of 600-700MB CDs and jewel cases might get pretty bulky, but it
would be a much smaller stack if they were DVDs.

Any company make or plan release of a similar product as the one above
but can record on DVDs instead of CDs?
We expect to end up of over 50GB of data after 5 weeks (mostly video).

Old December 21st 04, 02:19 AM
Lee Hiers, AA4GA

On 20 Dec 2004 18:00:46 -0800, "Nick" wrote:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_...onics_mfr.html

We plan to avoid lugging around a laptop but will still need a way to
offload large quantities of photos on the road.
Something like the item listed above would be better if there was a
version that could record on DVDs.

Go to the addonics website. They do, in fact, offer a DVD version of
the MFR. I purchased one last week, but haven't had a chance to play
with it much, so can't report on how well it does what it's supposed
to do.

HTH,

Lee

--
Lee Hiers, AA4GA
Cornelia, GA
Old December 21st 04, 05:45 AM
Nick

Lee Hiers, AA4GA wrote:
On 20 Dec 2004 18:00:46 -0800, "Nick" wrote:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_...onics_mfr.html

We plan to avoid lugging around a laptop but will still need a way

offload large quantities of photos on the road.
Something like the item listed above would be better if there was a
version that could record on DVDs.

Go to the addonics website. They do, in fact, offer a DVD version of
the MFR. I purchased one last week, but haven't had a chance to play
with it much, so can't report on how well it does what it's supposed
to do.

HTH,

That looks pretty good. I guess I should think about hard drive based
systems too. The only ones I've seen are based on notebook hard drives,
which are very compact, but very expensive per megabyte.
Since even a full-sized PC hard drive is more portable than a big stack
of CDs or DVDs, maybe that would be the best choice for capacity per
dollar. Are there any IDE hard drive based devices for this purpose?

Old December 21st 04, 08:49 AM
Bob Williams

Nick wrote:
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_...onics_mfr.html

We plan to avoid lugging around a laptop but will still need a way to
offload large quantities of photos on the road.
Something like the item listed above would be better if there was a
version that could record on DVDs.

I to take a 1GB SD memory card on a 5 week vacation to Europe and take
advantage of the movie mode of my camera as much as possible so we will
end up filling the card daily with photos and videos.
A stack of 600-700MB CDs and jewel cases might get pretty bulky, but it
would be a much smaller stack if they were DVDs.

Any company make or plan release of a similar product as the one above
but can record on DVDs instead of CDs?
We expect to end up of over 50GB of data after 5 weeks (mostly video).

Your problem is the videos taken with a still camera.
Use a Videocam for Movies and a still camera for still shots.
After all, that is what each device was designed for.
One or two Video cassettes and one or two CDs should get you through
your vacation in fine fashion.
Don't try putting square pegs in round holes, just because you can.
Bob Williams

Old December 21st 04, 11:50 PM
Nick

I'm trying to minimize the bulk of equipment carried around. That's
why I don't want to take a laptop and why I'm not going to carry a
camcorder either.
I'm not planning to record hours and hours of video, but at 2MB per
second, even only 30 minutes of video recorded in short clips over the
course of 5 weeks will add up fast.