New Leica digital back info....

Old June 26th 04, 07:00 AM
Barney

Default New Leica digital back info....

New info about the Leica digital back...

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0306/03...adigitalr9.asp

I'm told it should have a street date of around Dec 1st.

Barney
Old June 27th 04, 01:47 AM
Ted Azito

The Leica SLRs are still mutants. R Leica optics are not sufficiently
differentiable from pro Japanese glass anyone would buy them except
for-what's the fancy word-size queen entertainment?
Old June 27th 04, 05:01 PM
Barney

Lourens Smak wrote in news:smak-132D88.13574027062004
@news.wanadoo.nl:

Is the date wrong on the website? Don't think so, this info is exactly a
year old.... The back is supposed to be presented on this year's
Photokina in Cologne. (september...)

Sorry, did not know. I thought it was new info. I do however hope to have
some new info soon from the Leica rep I met two days ago. Taking advantage
of a Leica sale, I just bought a R9 with the 90mm lens and the sales person
named Linda asked me to email her to receive some new info about the
digital back. She will get a chance to check it out herself around the
start of July.

About receiving an email from her, I have not as of yet.

Barney
Old June 27th 04, 10:10 PM
Ted Azito

TP snip
All this hostility towards Leica products, all because you cannot
afford to buy them.

How does the logic go?

If you cannot afford them, they cannot be any good?

I could afford to buy them, just not as many: I could swap my 200mm
Medical Nikkor even up for any of several R Leica lenses. Because of
the cam issues, which is even nuttier than the AI Nikkor situation, R
Leica lenses used can be very reasonable. Although you might make a
case for one or two of the pieces on a piece basis, in general,
Nikkors-pro Nikkors-are technically better optics than Leitz glass.
Leitz and Zeiss, as another poster succinctly summarized, use a few
different tradeoffs for subjectively more pleasing results in some
people's opinion. It's not mine. If Leica wanted to "cut heads" they'd
offer their lenses in other mounts, they don't. They're selling
mystique and bull**** to a great extent.

Panavision can very definitely afford German lenses. That they choose
(usually) otherwise speaks volumes.
Old June 27th 04, 10:26 PM
TP

(Ted Azito) wrote:

I could afford to buy them, just not as many

Thank you for proving my point.

Old June 27th 04, 10:28 PM
TP

Lourens Smak wrote:

Is the date wrong on the website? Don't think so, this info is exactly a
year old.... The back is supposed to be presented on this year's
Photokina in Cologne. (september...)

What is new is that Leica dealers in Europe are now accepting advance
orders with a delivery date of December 1, 2004. They have also
announced prices: GBP 3299.00 including 17.5% VAT in the UK and Euro
4500.00 including 18% VAT in Germany.