Minolta Maxxum 7D Samples up...

Old September 28th 04, 06:51 PM
Brian C. Baird

Default Minolta Maxxum 7D Samples up...

....on Dpreview.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0409/04...lta7dsamps.asp

Not a rigorous test of the anti-shake technology, but it certainly seems
to work.
--
http://www.pbase.com/bcbaird/
Old September 28th 04, 06:56 PM
PhotoMan

"Brian C. Baird" wrote in message
.. .
...on Dpreview.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0409/04...lta7dsamps.asp

Not a rigorous test of the anti-shake technology, but it certainly seems
to work.
--
http://www.pbase.com/bcbaird/

I wonder how KM will like seeing the first samples include photos of Olympus
cars and Canon signs? ;-)

Old September 28th 04, 08:45 PM
Alan Browne

Brian C. Baird wrote:

...on Dpreview.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0409/04...lta7dsamps.asp

Not a rigorous test of the anti-shake technology, but it certainly seems
to work.

Crappy phots, generally. Not a fault of the cameras as much as the photog
rushing to get these... although the last one (Benz) does have a lot of good
detail in it).

Cheers,
Alan

Old September 28th 04, 10:07 PM
Alan Browne

Brian C. Baird wrote:

I think they're giving Phil about 5-10 minutes to go out and shoot
samples. His main concern was shooting with longer shutter times to
test the CCD-based image stabilization. So the photos are boring, but
shooting a stop or so below the "handheld rule of thumb" seems to work
ok.

I do realize that, however K-M would do better to find Phil's eager assistant
(assumtion that there is one) and give him the camera for 24 hours than to get
quick and dirty results. Note that the treatment dpreview gave the first EOS
1Ds MkII (sample images) was no better than this set.

Old September 28th 04, 10:33 PM
Joseph Kewfi

K-M would do better to find Phil's eager assistant (assumtion that there
is one) and give him the camera for 24 hours than to get quick and dirty
results.

The reason why Alan, is because consumers interested in this class of camera
(7D) are only partially interested in photography and mainly interested in
technical wow factor e.g Bret Douglas 20D.

Old September 29th 04, 02:30 AM
Alan Browne

Joseph Kewfi wrote:

K-M would do better to find Phil's eager assistant (assumtion that there

is one) and give him the camera for 24 hours than to get quick and dirty
results.

The reason why Alan, is because consumers interested in this class of camera
(7D) are only partially interested in photography and mainly interested in
technical wow factor e.g Bret Douglas 20D.

I'm not sure if you were around here a couple years ago when the subject of
digital was truly contentious (compared to now where it is really people jumping
over as circumstances permit).

At the time we all calculated our jump off points. For me, I brazenly computed
my jump off point at 15 Mpix and full frame.

In the meantime various people of course made the jump to digital. We have seen
great photos (including sevweral from Bret) made on cropped 6 Mpix cameras. I
have seen numerous high quality prints at 8x12" (and larger) from such cameras.
There is little need to wait for 15 Mpix... 6 Mpix is 'just there', and I hope
to see K-M go a bit further in the near future (8 Mpix would be nice, 10 better).

I love my slides, but half or more could be digital and I'd be just as happy.

Cheers,
Alan
Old September 29th 04, 05:38 AM
Skip M

Brian C. Baird wrote:

I think they're giving Phil about 5-10 minutes to go out and shoot
samples. His main concern was shooting with longer shutter times to
test the CCD-based image stabilization. So the photos are boring, but
shooting a stop or so below the "handheld rule of thumb" seems to work
ok.

I do realize that, however K-M would do better to find Phil's eager

assistant
(assumtion that there is one) and give him the camera for 24 hours than

get
quick and dirty results. Note that the treatment dpreview gave the

first
EOS
1Ds MkII (sample images) was no better than this set.

I beg to differ, Joseph. This class of camera seems to attract those whose
interest in photography is just now starting to take off. The lower level,
"entry" or "consumer" (although these cameras are really the "consumer'
bodies!) are too limited in some manner, especially if they are digital.
Film itself overcame some of the limitations that these people are finding
with digital, like sensor size, noise, suchlike. Also this level of camera
has faster AF, and sometimes more accurate, too.
There are a lot of reasons the purchasers of this class of camera is more
than just partially interested in photography.

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

Old September 30th 04, 12:56 AM
mcl

The first picture taken at 75mm and a shutter speed of 1/15 brings up a
question.
The lens factor using this digital pushes the focal length of the lens to
about 110mm.
May I assume the old rule of thumb that you should use a shutter speed of at
least 1/focal length is also affected by the lens factor. This means the
picture was taken at almost 3 stops slower than what should be used. That's
impressive assuming my assumption is true.