RPD Question on Nikon 5700 Battery Usage

Old September 13th 04, 05:22 PM
Hunt

Default RPD Question on Nikon 5700 Battery Usage

Hello to the group. I've got a question concerning my Nikon 5700 and battery
usage: with the OEM rechargeable battery, I could usually do about 25 RAW
images, before the indicator began moving and about 50 RAW images on a full
charge, while the indicator slowly crept down. Sometime back, I added the MB-
E5700 base mounted battery pack. I had initial problems with the NI-Mh
batteries from the photo shop. I do not recall their brand now. With a full
charge, they would not power up the camera. The shop replaced them with
Camedia batteries by Olympus, which worked well, with one problem. On a fresh
charge, I get about 2 RAW images, before the camera's battery indicator
immediately falls to 1/4 charge. I can still shoot about 50 more RAW images,
and have never run the batteries completely out, but the indicator really
doesn't give me any idea of the actual state of the batteries. It doesn't seem
to ever move from that 1/4 charge position. This can be very disconcerting, as
I never know when the camera will just go dead. As I said, I have not fired
until the batteries ARE dead, and always carry a complete set (six) fully
charged spares, plus six non-rechargeables, just in case.

Does anybody have any experience with the MB-E5700? Does anybody have any
experience with the Camedia (Oly) rechargeables? Any thoughts on battery
brand, or charger brands? So far, this has not created any problems, except
for the fear, that I will suddenly run out of "juice," kinda' like driving an
automobile with a gas gauge constantly stuck on 1/4 tank on a dark, lonely
road.

Also, these exposures are without the built-in flash. When using Nikon SB-80x,
there seems to be no change in the indicator - still 1/4 battery life after 2
exposures and there it stays.

Thanks for your input,
Hunt

Old September 13th 04, 07:22 PM
Frank ess

Hunt wrote:
[...]

It's possible you have one of the earlier MB-E5700s. They had a defect
that rendered many rechargables useless. That may be contributing to the
shortcomings you note. Later models have no problem. I understand Nikon
will eventually exchange for a recent one if you persist.

A few days ago I did a couple dozen RAWs on a fully charged set of
Panasonic 2100MAh cells on a CP8700 and the little battery display still
shows "full".

--
Frank ess

Old September 14th 04, 02:15 AM
Hunt

In article , says...

Hunt wrote:
[...]

Frank,

Thanks. Actually, I had been thinking about everything BUT the MB-E5700. I'll
stop by my camera shop on Wed. and talk to the salesman. Since I've been an
NPS member, since the 70's I suppose that I could go that route, however, NPS
ain't what it used to be. I appreciate the response, and will pursue a
replacement - one way, or the other. BTW, how did you get this info? I've done
a bunch of searching and have looked at every Nikon site for something to help
me, with NO LUCK, what so ever.

Appreciated,
Hunt

Old September 14th 04, 04:50 AM
Hunt

In article , says...

Hunt wrote:
In article ,

says...

snip

Frank,

Thanks. Actually, I had been thinking about everything BUT the
MB-E5700. I'll stop by my camera shop on Wed. and talk to the
salesman. Since I've been an NPS member, since the 70's I suppose
that I could go that route, however, NPS ain't what it used to be. I
appreciate the response, and will pursue a replacement - one way, or
the other. BTW, how did you get this info? I've done a bunch of
searching and have looked at every Nikon site for something to help
me, with NO LUCK, what so ever.

Appreciated,
Hunt

I heard of it through one or another of the Yahoo! Nikon groups, if I
remember correctly. Of course there is no guarantee of that: within the
past few days I revisited a Web site whereon one of the victims has
numerous photos of the offending battery compartment projection (that
kept certain brands of cell from making perfect contact-short nipples)
to see his update. Now I can't remember how I got there, nor the name of
the fellow who put it there.

A year or so there were a number of posts about the problem and its
resolution in some online place I was reading. But I can't find those
either.

But it is out there. I promise.

--
Frank ess

Thanks for thinking. I have tried searching with about every keyword combo I
can, and only find new and used MB-E5700's. I was looking for ammo for making
my appeal. Maybe a call to NPS will yield some results - like, "5700 is NOT a
pro camera, so you are on your own, sport... "

If you find a URL, I'd greatly appreciate it. If I had a set of serial #'s, or
something, I'd try for a replacement. In a worst case, I'll just buy a new
one, provided that my camera shop will guarantee that it is "new and improved
.."

Hunt

Old September 14th 04, 06:22 AM
16point2mm

On 13 Sep 2004 16:22:00 GMT, (Hunt) wrote:

Does anybody have any experience with the MB-E5700? Does anybody have any
experience with the Camedia (Oly) rechargeables? Any thoughts on battery
brand, or charger brands?

No experience with either the MB-E5700 or the Olympus batteries, but
I did manage to find a dealer for replacement, non-OEM Nikon
batteries. The lithium battery that ships with the 5700 is a very
pathetic 650mAh. I picked up a pair of 1200mAh replacements for $14
ea. I think it was through a company called "Blue Nook" or something
similar. I ordered my filter set through them as well (although they
don't carry the filter adapters). In the standard charger that ships
with the camera, it takes less than an hour to bring each of these to
full charge. Most of my shoots these days are still in .jpg's but I
average about 250-300 shots, without the flash, on a single battery.

Aside from your MB-E5700 most likely being faulty, I'd be concerned
with using anything other than a lithium battery in this camera. I
know these packs are supposed to be designed for the different
chemical compositions, and the electricity produced would be the same
at the output regardless, but it always makes me twitchy to use cells
that the camera weren't designed to take. I used to shoot with a
Canon A40, and I could get about 30 shots off with a set of 4-AA
alkiline cells. With 4-AA Ni-Cd's, though, I could shoot for a couple
of days straight without issue. What I always found odd, though, is
that the camera shipped with a starter set of alkalines, yet the
manual, burried a few pages in, in small print no less, stated that
only Ni-Cd's should ever be used. Go figure!

Anyway, hope this sheds some light on the situation.

Old September 14th 04, 04:46 PM
Hunt

says...

On 14 Sep 2004 03:50:12 GMT, in rec.photo.digital
(Hunt)
wrote:

Thanks for thinking. I have tried searching with about every keyword combo I
can, and only find new and used MB-E5700's. I was looking for ammo for

making
my appeal. Maybe a call to NPS will yield some results - like, "5700 is NOT

pro camera, so you are on your own, sport... "

If you find a URL, I'd greatly appreciate it. If I had a set of serial #'s,

or
something, I'd try for a replacement. In a worst case, I'll just buy a new
one, provided that my camera shop will guarantee that it is "new and

improved

Possibly mine?
http://edwardgruf.com/Digital_Photog...5700_nits.html
_________________________________________________ _______
Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 )
See images taken with my CP-990 and 5700 at
http://EdwardGRuf.com

Wow Ed, thanks for the work. Do you happen to have any record of the contacts
you made at Nikon, i.e. e-dresses, names? I'd like to not reinvent the wheel
on this one if possible, especially since you have put so very much effort
into it already. In the meantime, I'll haunt the camera shops looking for
batteries with long positive nubs!

Thanks ever so much,
Hunt

(For any correspondence, please use , by removing the "D")

Old September 14th 04, 04:50 PM
Hunt

says...

On 13 Sep 2004 16:22:00 GMT,
(Hunt) wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the feedback. It seems that Ed Ruf might have located the problem
specific to my MB and the batteries. My first set probably were shorter on the
positive end, than the Oly's, but the Oly's are still too short for the MB. I
will also look into the in-camera batteries that you mentioned, though I
really like the camera's balance with the MB attached, and of course, like the
idea of the extra power - that I'm supposed to get - from the MB's batteries.

Hunt