Sony Cybershot DSC-W1... Bad Camera...Bad Customer Service by Sony... Read on...

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old June 23rd 04, 12:14 AM
unavailable

Default Sony Cybershot DSC-W1... Bad Camera...Bad Customer Service by Sony... Read on...

I bought a Sony Cybershot DSC-W1 the other day. I tested it out, and the
indoor photos with flash were dismal. I was replacing an Olympus C-3000,
and at 3.2 megapixles, it blew the Sony away in picture quality. Almost
every shot I took with the new Sony W1 was soft, and the white balance was
off, leaving every white wall in my house either yellow or green. I was not
impressed at all.

Worse than that, I contacted Sony's 800 number to ask them a couple of
questions about the camera. I found out that they have NO technical
experience or information whatsoever. They can merely regurgitate what is
already printed in the manual. I tried to ask them if I can use Lithium
batteries in the camera (not the rechargeable type, just the energizer light
blue and silver batteries that are AA lithium batteries made specifically
for digital cameras,) they said no, you can only use Alkaline or the
rechargeable NiMH batteries. When I asked them why, they said they don't
know, and there are no technical resources for them to ask. (Energizer said
they would work, since they are made to work wherever you would normally use
alkaline) but Sony said NO, they won't work strictly because that what was
printed in the manual. I can't figure out why, but the manager of customer
service for Sony said there was nobody to ask the question to at Sony.

The other question I had for them was can I use a Memory Stick Pro Duo in
the camera and they also said no. (I found out later that in the manual it
says you can, but that's not the point.) The point is, they said no you
couldn't use it because it was a "smaller" memory card and it wouldn't fit.
I even tried to "teach" the guy at Sony that the whole purpose of the duo
card is so that you can use it in equipment that takes EITHER size card, and
that you would use it with the adapter in the W1, but he insisted that you
couldn't use it in that camera. What an idiot.

The bottom line is that when you call Olympus' technical support, they have
TECHNICIANS on the other line that are capable and willing to answer your
technical questions, and if they don't know the answer, they will put you on
hold and try to find it out. (I imagine that other companies like Cannon
and Kodak would as well.) Sony on the other hand was UNWILLING to do that.
They could tell you what was in the manual, (and sometimes not even that)
and then tell you they can't help you anymore.

That left a very bad taste in my mouth (what would I do if I actually needed
service on the camera??) and I promptly returned the camera to the store and
bought the new Olympus C-60 for the same price from Sams Club (but 6
megapixles instead of 5.) I tested the Olympus out and already my first
impression is that it is way better than the Sony. I am now very happy.

I just wanted to post this because maybe I can save some of you from making
the same mistake of buying the Sony W1 camera that I did. It is not a good
model, and SONY is NOT a good company to buy a digital camera from if you
would like any kind of customer service or support.

I've always been happy with Sony, and frankly I was shocked at how much
their company has changed recently with it's customer service, but It will
be a while before they will regain my trust again. And I was just about to
go out and buy a Sony 50" LCD Big Screen TV. Now I'm going to consider a
different company.

Just a word to the wise... STAY AWAY FROM SONY.