A Photography forum. PhotoBanter.com

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » PhotoBanter.com forum » Digital Photography » Digital Photography
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Drone Flying in Controlled Airspace

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old June 16th 20, 05:54 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]
external usenet poster

Default Drone Flying in Controlled Airspace

With my new Mavic Air 2 comes a whole new learning curve for me to climb regarding what I can, and cannot do within the FAA rules. Since I have some controlled airspace in my local area, I have been examining what is required if I want to do some aerial photography closer to those controlled areas. (I am also seriously considering FAA Part 107 certification).

Currently as an FAA Recreational flyer if I take off from, or fly into controlled airspace, near an airport for example. I will get a warning on my controller. I can then get Low Altitude Authorization for various sectors around the airport (400 ft., 200 ft. & 100 ft.). That is available as an automated clearance (LAANC) after submission of flight plan via the drone controller, you are sent a confirmation number via SMS. Then you can continue flying in the controlled area responsibly.

Here is what the controlled airspace around Paso Robles Municipal Airport (PRB) looks like with the various low altitude flight levels shown:

https://photos.smugmug.com/Air-2-Work/i-tNSL97d/0/4dffb377/4K/screenshot_430-4K.jpg

--
Regards,
Savageduck