photography and the law

Old June 3rd 07, 07:59 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
seoProfessor

Default photography and the law

Whether or not you are a professional photographer, if you use your
camera in public to photograph people, places and things, you may find
the following link useful:

http://www.photolawnews.com/

Old June 3rd 07, 08:17 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
MarkČ

seoProfessor wrote:
Whether or not you are a professional photographer, if you use your
camera in public to photograph people, places and things, you may find
the following link useful:

http://www.photolawnews.com/

Fantastic link. Thank you.
I'm going to print several of those articles and keep them in my photo
bag...for just such a circumstance. This is a very real and serious issue
that photographers so unfortunately face, and it's becoming more and more
common.

Again...thank you.

-MarkČ

www.pbase.com/markuson

Old June 3rd 07, 09:20 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Ryadia[_2_]

"MarkČ" mjmorgan(lowest even number wrote in message
seoProfessor wrote:
Whether or not you are a professional photographer, if you use your
camera in public to photograph people, places and things, you may find
the following link useful:

http://www.photolawnews.com/

Fantastic link. Thank you.
I'm going to print several of those articles and keep them in my photo
bag...for just such a circumstance. This is a very real and serious issue
that photographers so unfortunately face, and it's becoming more and more
common.

Again...thank you.

-MarkČ

www.pbase.com/markuson

You might find a laminated ID card on a neck cord goes a long way towards
discouraging wanna be cops from bothering you. I frequently photograph
installations for an insurance company. Some of these have been near the
airport and at the wharves. Until I began carrying my ID on a string, I
frequently got molested by people with too much power and too little
knowledge of what their job was.

At night I often wear a reflective jacket with the word PHOTOGRAPHER on the
shoulder and the pocket. It has allowed me into areas I should never have
been allowed into. It's not just what the law says but what the
guard/official/whatever thinks is OK.

I strongly suspect those Photographers who get into a confrontation they
can't possibly win, bring it on themselves by trying to argue their rights.
They'd do better to be prepared properly in the first place. More often than
not, a simple phone call and collection of authority at the office or gate,
is all that is needed.
--
Douglas,
Those who can, just do it.

Old June 3rd 07, 07:13 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
bob hickey

"seoProfessor" wrote in message
ups.com...
Whether or not you are a professional photographer, if you use your
camera in public to photograph people, places and things, you may find
the following link useful:

http://www.photolawnews.com/

That's really interesting, but as far as NYC goes, purely academic. I got
stopped constantly when I lived there, and it got me mildly annoyed when
some Levittown loser whose HS GED hasn't dried it's ink yet, is making some
**** up as he goes along, about taking pictures. The whole deal is, cops
can't be sued in NYC. Most people who sue the city catch a deal, $10,000
usually, many years later. Once I even got stopped in "Westbury Gardens"
mainly for using a monopod. I guess they figured I was drawing a bead on a
flower pot. Bob Hickey

Old June 3rd 07, 10:40 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Pudentame

seoProfessor wrote:
[...]

Especially if you need to photograph INSIDE military installations and
defense related manufacturing facilities.

The PAO is your friend. They *WANT* good, friendly photo-journalism. So
call them up and ask how to get access.

How about inside a major defense contractor's manufacturing facility for
jet engines?

All it took was one phone call, and two follow-up emails. PAO rep was
waiting with the credentials, gave me a quick brief on what areas were
sensitive and off limits, escorted me into the plant, introduced me to
the crew actually building the engines and left me there with them to
get some good "action" shots of what actually goes into assembling a jet
engine, pretty much from start to finish.

FWIW, the military engines weren't as photogenic as some of the
high-bypass civilian models.
Old June 4th 07, 06:12 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
William Graham

seoProfessor wrote:
[...]

Yeah....That would be my ticket. - A Playboy spread on, "The girls of
Aircraft Assembly...."