More Brooklyn Camera Dealer Pictures

Old October 20th 05, 02:22 AM
Don Wiss

Default More Brooklyn Camera Dealer Pictures

These were taken over the past few weeks. Unfortunately I was only able to
get out on Sundays, and on days of the week that were Jewish holidays. So
some have their shutters pulled down. I will try to retake them when I get
a chance. (I was out taking pictures today, but again it was a Jewish
holiday.)

Pictures numbered 186-212 are new. If you just want to see the new ones
click on Number in the table heading. Then scroll down.

I have been spending a lot of time searching through the NY State corporate
entity database. Many pictures now have notes on what I've found.
Unfortunately the database cannot be searched by person's name or address.
So I don't know the entity name for many of my pictures. Then a few call
themselves a corporation, but I couldn't find them. So I removed the Inc
they were using. One non-camera dealer using two Inc's I e-mailed asking
what their corporate names really were. They did not reply.

This database was very handy. The Camera Source, Inc., d.b.a.
tcscamera.com, thecamerassource.com, put a lot of effort into hiding who
they really are. I found something to tip me off that it was really CCI,
but then the entity database had them right at CCI's address. Of course,
now that I disclose my use of the entity database all over my web page, for
their next company they will use some other address. So I will keep how I
was tipped off secret.

The link to the pictures: http://donwiss.com/pictures/BrooklynStores/

This is my only announcement. People are welcome to pass this on to other
forums.

Don www.donwiss.com (e-mail link at home page bottom).
Old October 20th 05, 05:03 AM
Mark²

Don Wiss wrote:

The link to the pictures: http://donwiss.com/pictures/BrooklynStores/

This is my only announcement. People are welcome to pass this on to
other forums.

Don www.donwiss.com (e-mail link at home page bottom).

I appreciate your continued dedication to this very interesting series, and
I'm sure many newbies (and "old-bies) are quite enlightened by your little
"investigative" work.

I have a suggestion, though I hesitate to even mention it since you've
already put SO much work/time into this...

....But here it is.

-Would it be difficult to perhaps have a "Big 10" list (or some such
number), which could lead people directly to the most commonly-found sellers
in the photo rags? I think this would make it an extra useful reference for
those wanting to see the very shops they might be considering ordering from.

I'm think shops like Abe's, Beach, and any number of other more prevalent
advertisers.

What-a-ya-think?

Again...It's your time and your effort...

If you didn't mind, I'd be happy to use some of my pbase web-space to post
some of these if you were interested, though I don't know if that would
help.

....Just thinkin--

Thanks again,

M2

Old October 20th 05, 09:07 AM
Don Wiss

"Mark²" mjmorgan(lowest even number wrote:

Don Wiss wrote:

The link to the pictures: http://donwiss.com/pictures/BrooklynStores/

-Would it be difficult to perhaps have a "Big 10" list (or some such
number), which could lead people directly to the most commonly-found sellers
in the photo rags? I think this would make it an extra useful reference for
those wanting to see the very shops they might be considering ordering from.

No. I don't want to pass any judgement on these outfits. All dealers I can
find here in Brooklyn get equal treatment and are listed alphabetically.

I'm think shops like Abe's, Beach, and any number of other more prevalent
advertisers.

Beach isn't in Brooklyn. I don't know who's a bigger advertiser. I find
these people by searching for Brooklyn on various databases. So I have no
idea who is advertising where.

Speaking of Abe's. The corporate entity has a home address listed. So I
took a picture of it yesterday. But no reason to put it up, as I know their
place of business.

Don www.donwiss.com (e-mail link at home page bottom).
Old October 20th 05, 04:20 PM
John

"Don Wiss" wrote in message
These were taken over the past few weeks. Unfortunately I was only able to
get out on Sundays, and on days of the week that were Jewish holidays. So
some have their shutters pulled down. I will try to retake them when I get
a chance. (I was out taking pictures today, but again it was a Jewish
holiday.)

Curious, anyone know why so many of these NY camera shops are run by Jewish
folks? Looking on line, I see many of them observe the holidays..Just
wondering what the connection is?
Thanks!
John

Old October 20th 05, 10:42 PM
Stacey

John wrote:

"Don Wiss" wrote in message
These were taken over the past few weeks. Unfortunately I was only able
to get out on Sundays, and on days of the week that were Jewish holidays.
So some have their shutters pulled down. I will try to retake them when I
get a chance. (I was out taking pictures today, but again it was a Jewish
holiday.)

Curious, anyone know why so many of these NY camera shops are run by
Jewish
folks? Looking on line, I see many of them observe the holidays..Just
wondering what the connection is?

And now let the flames begin, you do realize you're an anti-semetic bigot
for noticing this don't you? :-)

--

Stacey
Old October 21st 05, 12:58 AM
Don Wiss

On Thu, 20 Oct 2005, John wrote:

Curious, anyone know why so many of these NY camera shops are run by Jewish
folks? Looking on line, I see many of them observe the holidays..Just
wondering what the connection is?

Probably as a lot of them live in Brooklyn, and people that set up
businesses tend to set them up near where they live.

Don www.donwiss.com (e-mail link at home page bottom).
Old October 21st 05, 01:01 AM
Don Wiss

Don Wiss wrote:

The link to the pictures: http://donwiss.com/pictures/BrooklynStores/

If you didn't mind, I'd be happy to use some of my pbase web-space to post
some of these if you were interested, though I don't know if that would
help.

I don't like people taking pictures off my site. But as you have probably
noticed, I keep my deep links the same. So you are welcome to create a page
that deep links to specific vendors that you want to highlight.

Don www.donwiss.com (e-mail link at home page bottom).
Old October 21st 05, 01:04 AM
Rich

On Thu, 20 Oct 2005 10:20:08 -0500, "John"
wrote:

"Don Wiss" wrote in message
.. .
These were taken over the past few weeks. Unfortunately I was only able to
get out on Sundays, and on days of the week that were Jewish holidays. So
some have their shutters pulled down. I will try to retake them when I get
a chance. (I was out taking pictures today, but again it was a Jewish
holiday.)

Curious, anyone know why so many of these NY camera shops are run by Jewish
folks? Looking on line, I see many of them observe the holidays..Just
wondering what the connection is?
Thanks!
John

Probably like the jewellery and rag trade, it was easier to get into
early on than was banking, finance, etc, for obvious reasons.
As to why so many of New York dealers are so "highly" regarded;
Competition and a huge market attracted the scum as well as the cream.
-Rich
Old October 21st 05, 01:38 AM
Don Wiss

On Thu, 20 Oct 2005 20:04:32 -0400, Rich wrote:

On Thu, 20 Oct 2005, John wrote:

Curious, anyone know why so many of these NY camera shops are run by Jewish
folks? Looking on line, I see many of them observe the holidays..Just
wondering what the connection is?

Probably like the jewellery and rag trade, it was easier to get into
early on than was banking, finance, etc, for obvious reasons.

I don't know about easier, but there has been a long history of Jews being
merchants. So it doesn't surprise me that many have picked up on selling
over the web.

Don www.donwiss.com (e-mail link at home page bottom).
Old October 21st 05, 08:48 AM
Malcolm Stewart

"Don Wiss" wrote in message
These were taken over the past few weeks. Unfortunately I was only able to
get out on Sundays, and on days of the week that were Jewish holidays. So
some have their shutters pulled down. I will try to retake them when I get
a chance. (I was out taking pictures today, but again it was a Jewish
holiday.)

Pictures numbered 186-212 are new. If you just want to see the new ones
click on Number in the table heading. Then scroll down.

Some interesting snaps.
Seems like someone's benefiting from a "free enterprise" and low regulation
culture. Could explain why prices in the US are so much more competitive
than in Europe - about which lots of us moan.

--
M Stewart
Milton Keynes, UK