Cleaning damaged 35mm slides?

Old April 21st 06, 06:54 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

Default Cleaning damaged 35mm slides?

My personal recommendation on all conservation issues is to take out
"insurance" make the best dupe or scan you can afford from each slide before
you attempt to do any cleaning. It may be necessary to remount them but do
nothing to the slides until you have your backups. There may be other
damage (from bad storage or other causes) and cleaning may remove parts of
the image.

--
darkroommike
"Bob St John" wrote in message
Folks,

We had a house fire, and most of my 35mm slides were damaged by water,

dirt,
etc.

What is the best way to clean the slides? While cleaning should I remove

the
film from the slide holders (some paper, some plastic)?

My goal is to clean them up, then scan and digitize them.

Thanks . . .

Bob St. John