Home Made Registration Punch and Carrier?

Old June 5th 08, 01:55 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Nicholas O. Lindan

Default Home Made Registration Punch and Carrier?

wrote in message
Hmmm; maybe you don't know what I mean. The registration pins printers
(used to) use are little metal tabs

The pins (about the size of a pencil eraser) can take several forms:

o pins inserted into, say, a negative carrier
o pins inserted into a registration board
o pins inserted into a support board for use in a vacuum frame
o pins inserted into a printing press
o pins inserted into a bar
o pins that can slide in a bar
o pins spot welded to a little thin metal disk - used loose
o pins spot welded to a small shim-stock metal rectangle,
the rectangle is taped to the table/carrier/whatever

It is the punch that is the big item in all this. If the
system uses round pins then the distance between the punched
holes has to be held constant.

Since nothing can be held constant, the punch usually makes
one round hole and one or more slotted holes so the location
of the second hole(s) isn't so critical. It is possible to
punch a round/slotted hole systems by hand with a pair of
1-hole punches, though not recommended.

Very large films use a central round pin and two slotted pins
along the long side and a round 'tail pin' in a perpendicular
slot in the middle of the opposite edge. The punches for this
work are large and expensive.

Punch systems are ANSI/ISO etc. standard.

In graphic arts the punch registration system is used all the
way from the initial films, through the contacting films and
printing plates and on to the printing press.

There are standard punch systems used for hand-drawn animation
to holds gels in register.

For 4x5 work the standard cheap way to work is with a 2-hole
paper punch and loose pins. The negative carrier has clearance
holes drilled in to it for the pins. For 8x10, a 3-hole punch with
the center punch disabled is a standard solution.

--
Nicholas O. Lindan, Cleveland, Ohio
http://www.darkroomautomation.com/index2.htm

Old June 8th 08, 05:48 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
erie patsellis

john wrote:
"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
.com...
On 6/4/2008 5:43 AM john spake thus:

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
.com...

I'm sure you know that the register pins used in graphic arts are still
readily available and could easily be mounted to just about anything.
All I have found are far too large, in the 30" range.

Hmmm; maybe you don't know what I mean. The registration pins printers
(used to) use are little metal tabs, maybe an inch and a half long by an
inch or so, stainless steel, with a short (1/8" or less) pin attached. The
pin goes in the hole, and the tab gets taped down to the light
table/exposure frame/whatever. Very simple to use, and could definitely be
machined for permanent or semi-permanent attachment to your homemade rig.

Does that help any?

Pins are no problem. It is the build of the jig and the build of the
negative carrier that matches the pin holes.

P.S.: While searching for pictures of pins, I ran across this page which
has a lot of stuff about Saltzman enlargers, registration carriers, etc.,
in case you don't already know about it:
http://www.glennview.com/dkrm2.htm

I know that prick. He doesn't answer his email. I had several thousand
dollars to spend, identified the stuff I was considering, wrote to ask if I
could make an appointment to see the stuff in person and he decided he was
too rich to sell. **** him.

John,

The easiest way is to punch a piece of polyester or mylar with a 3 hole punch, though I
remove the middle punch myself. Insert your pins into the holes, with the tabs away from
the material, tape/glue/VHB (whatever your preferred attachment method)the pins to the
carrier/light table/etc.

It may not be rocket science, or precision machining, but that's how I do it every day
when I strip negatives for plates at work, and it works just fine, though we do have
several of the fancy punches, at home I use the 3 hole punch just fine. (if you need some
tabs, I can probably liberate a couple, or at least find a source that doesn't require you
to buy a dozen/gross/container load at a time)

erie
Old June 9th 08, 03:09 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
John[_16_]

erie patsellis wrote:

John,

The easiest way is to punch a piece of polyester or mylar with a 3 hole
punch, though I remove the middle punch myself. Insert your pins into
the holes, with the tabs away from the material, tape/glue/VHB (whatever
your preferred attachment method)the pins to the carrier/light table/etc.

It may not be rocket science, or precision machining, but that's how I
do it every day when I strip negatives for plates at work, and it works
just fine, though we do have several of the fancy punches, at home I use
the 3 hole punch just fine. (if you need some tabs, I can probably
liberate a couple, or at least find a source that doesn't require you to
buy a dozen/gross/container load at a time)

That's an interesting technique. Thanks very much, Erie. Have you made
any masked enlargements in your 10x10" machine?

John (Pico)
Old June 10th 08, 04:34 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
erie patsellis

I hope to have it set up by the end of summer, damn work and commercial customers keep
getting in the way. I have some space available (about 800 sq. ft.) to me that I can set
up the railroad track in, and get some of my other "treasures" out of storage as well. You
might want to consider it, as I offered before, it's only a 10 hour drive or so....

erie

Old June 12th 08, 01:39 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
John[_16_]

erie patsellis wrote:
I hope to have it set up by the end of summer, damn work and commercial
customers keep getting in the way. I have some space available (about
800 sq. ft.) to me that I can set up the railroad track in, and get some
of my other "treasures" out of storage as well. You might want to
consider it, as I offered before, it's only a 10 hour drive or so....

Ten hours. That is about 24 gallons of gas. See what measures we've come
to? But wait, how many sheets of 8x10 B&W film is that? OMH, I'm getting
so depressed.
Old June 12th 08, 03:55 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
erie patsellis

Naw, don't go there, I've been building 16x20 film holders, pining for the day when I can
shoot "real" film, instead of lith film. (20x24 are next). I can make Eau Claire in about
7 when I visit the grandkids (3 if I fly, but if you think auto gas is expensive, not to
mention tie down fees, etc.)to give you an idea.

On a positive note,and in having at least something to do with r.p.darkroom, I got my W-L
Pro6 processor home last weekend, set up the temps and process times last night and
proceeded to dry run some empty film reels(using water in all the tanks, just in case of
course) 10 runs, time/temp compensation working like a champ, process temps and times
right on the money, good bye hand C41, this is going to be a fun summer, dammit. (not to
mention not having the tech bitch about cross processing to me every time I drop off film.)

So if anybody (or you know anybody) that needs parts for a Wing Lynch mode 4 (except for
heaters, those I'm keeping with a few tanks.) I've got a complete one, tubes, all cards,
etc. that I'm parting out.

erie