New High-End Canon Cameras Announced

Old September 17th 08, 03:58 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.dcameras.canon,rec.photo.digital
Stephen Henning

Default New High-End Canon Cameras Announced

Today Canon announced the G10 and SX10 IS as replacements for the G9,
their top end view-finder camera.

The SX10 IS is an ultrazoom going from 28 to 560 mm equiv, 10.3 MP, AA's.
The G10 has a 28 to 140 mm equiv zoom, 12.4 MP, Li-ion Battery.

The both take SD/MMC, have external flash shoe, optical image
stabalization.

The G10 has areal image optical zoom viewfinder as well as a 3" LCD. It
weighs 12.3 oz.

The SX10 has a EVF as well as a 2.5" LCD. It weighs 19.8 oz.

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/co...IndexAct&fcate
goryid=113

or http://tinyurl.com/p2hht

--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to
Cheers, Steve Henning in Reading, PA USA -
Old September 17th 08, 07:03 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.dcameras.canon,rec.photo.digital
ASAAR

On Wed, 17 Sep 2008 10:58:41 -0400, Stephen Henning wrote:

Today Canon announced the G10 and SX10 IS as replacements for the G9,
their top end view-finder camera.

The SX10 IS is an ultrazoom going from 28 to 560 mm equiv, 10.3 MP, AA's.
The G10 has a 28 to 140 mm equiv zoom, 12.4 MP, Li-ion Battery.

According to DPReview's comment on this news item, the SX10's
superior sibling, the SX1 (CMOS sensor, 4fps full resolution
continuous shooting and true 1080p HDTV movies at 30fps) won't be
available in North America. I wonder how well it handles the
"rolling shutter" problem.

Old September 17th 08, 11:17 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.dcameras.canon,rec.photo.digital
measekite

On Wed, 17 Sep 2008 10:58:41 -0400, Stephen Henning wrote:

Today Canon announced the G10 and SX10 IS as replacements for the G9,
their top end view-finder camera.

The SX10 IS is an ultrazoom going from 28 to 560 mm equiv, 10.3 MP, AA's.
The G10 has a 28 to 140 mm equiv zoom, 12.4 MP, Li-ion Battery.

The both take SD/MMC, have external flash shoe, optical image
stabalization.

The G10 has areal image optical zoom viewfinder as well as a 3" LCD. It
weighs 12.3 oz.

The SX10 has a EVF as well as a 2.5" LCD. It weighs 19.8 oz.

If the senor in the SX10 IS is the same size as the one in the S5 IS then
I wonder just what the difference in image quality would be. If the noise
is less due to heavier processing I wonder if the photo is any getter.

Old September 17th 08, 11:19 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.dcameras.canon,rec.photo.digital
measekite

On Wed, 17 Sep 2008 14:03:15 -0400, ASAAR wrote:

On Wed, 17 Sep 2008 10:58:41 -0400, Stephen Henning wrote:

Today Canon announced the G10 and SX10 IS as replacements for the G9,
their top end view-finder camera.

The SX10 IS is an ultrazoom going from 28 to 560 mm equiv, 10.3 MP, AA's.
The G10 has a 28 to 140 mm equiv zoom, 12.4 MP, Li-ion Battery.

According to DPReview's comment on this news item, the SX10's
superior sibling, the SX1 (CMOS sensor, 4fps full resolution
continuous shooting and true 1080p HDTV movies at 30fps) won't be
available in North America. I wonder how well it handles the
"rolling shutter" problem.

Just because it has more features that does not mean it is superior. The
viewfinder on the SX10 is better and that is a biggie in getting the right
sort of photo.
Old September 18th 08, 05:21 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.dcameras.canon,rec.photo.digital
bino

"measekite" wrote in message
On Wed, 17 Sep 2008 10:58:41 -0400, Stephen Henning wrote:

If the senor in the SX10 IS is the same size as the one in the S5 IS then
I wonder just what the difference in image quality would be. If the noise
is less due to heavier processing I wonder if the photo is any getter.

I loves me some getter photos. Mmmmmm...getter.

Old September 18th 08, 04:02 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
irwell

On Thu, 18 Sep 2008 00:21:19 -0400, bino wrote:

"measekite" wrote in message
On Wed, 17 Sep 2008 10:58:41 -0400, Stephen Henning wrote:

If the senor in the SX10 IS is the same size as the one in the S5 IS then
I wonder just what the difference in image quality would be. If the noise
is less due to heavier processing I wonder if the photo is any getter.

I loves me some getter photos. Mmmmmm...getter.

OLd timer electronics folks will know what a 'getter' is.
Old September 20th 08, 06:43 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Andrew MacPherson

(dwight) wrote:

Your S1 is still working?

Yes, probably because I stopped using it regularly two years ago. :-)

Andrew McP

Old September 20th 08, 03:30 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.dcameras.canon,rec.photo.digital
Stephen Henning

In article ,
measekite wrote:

On Wed, 17 Sep 2008 14:03:15 -0400, ASAAR wrote:

On Wed, 17 Sep 2008 10:58:41 -0400, Stephen Henning wrote:

Today Canon announced the G10 and SX10 IS as replacements for the G9,
their top end view-finder camera.

The SX10 IS is an ultrazoom going from 28 to 560 mm equiv, 10.3 MP, AA's.
The G10 has a 28 to 140 mm equiv zoom, 12.4 MP, Li-ion Battery.

According to DPReview's comment on this news item, the SX10's
superior sibling, the SX1 (CMOS sensor, 4fps full resolution
continuous shooting and true 1080p HDTV movies at 30fps) won't be
available in North America. I wonder how well it handles the
"rolling shutter" problem.

Just because it has more features that does not mean it is superior. The
viewfinder on the SX10 is better and that is a biggie in getting the right
sort of photo.

The LCD Monitor is bigger, 2.5inches (was 2 inches). I haven't seen any
information about the Electronic TFT Viewfinder being bigger.