SLRs banned at Olympics

Old August 10th 08, 09:29 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Cal I Fornicate

Default SLRs banned at Olympics

Atheist Chaplain wrote:
"Cal I Fornicate" wrote in message
Cynicor wrote:
Chris H wrote:
Paul Bartram writes
"SMS" wrote

"http://www.geeksugar.com/1842850"

I guess there's finally an advantage to a P&S!

What an authoritative website *that* is! If you go to the British
Journal of Photography site
http://www.bjphoto.co.uk/public/show...ml?page=808276
it makes it a little clearer - the Chinese are talking about visitors
(spectators) rather than accredited photographers in the media areas.

Just like ANY music concert. (Usually NO photos at all) and many
other events.

Not at all. I've been welcomed into many a concert with SLR in tow. I
shot four bands just this past Thursday. http://trupin.smugmug.com/music

Yes at all. With exception of open air charity even style concerts it
has been years since they allowed flash photography or even cameras at
concerts. Bands playing at clubs are not concerts.

Well I recently went to see a major concert at the Sydney Acer Arena
(Gwen Stefani)with my Daughter, so I can say quite catagoricaly that
flash photography is alive and well, No one was stopping it and I had to
laugh at all these P&S cameras in the back rows with the flash oging
off.

Oh?

Gwen Stefani?

Sydney Acer Arena???

Sorry for the confusion, I was talking about real bands and real venues.

Now that I think of it, my grandmother went to that event. Did you bump
into her? She has grey hair and pictures of Elvis taped to her walker.

Cal
Old August 10th 08, 09:38 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Cal I Fornicate

David J Taylor wrote:
tony cooper wrote:
On Sat, 09 Aug 2008 16:03:34 -0400, Alan Browne
wrote:

tony cooper wrote:
On Sat, 09 Aug 2008 17:05:45 GMT, "David J Taylor"
more annoying to see a lot of the athletes trying to be
photographers with their video cameras rather than parading for
their country and sport?
My God, what is wrong with young athletes, who worked very hard to
be there, to want to capture those moments?
Given the 42,000 cameras focused on them, they would have been better
served to set the DVR at home and let it record the moment for them.

The athletes that I saw taking pictures were mostly taking pictures of
other athletes; many having someone else take a picture of them with
other athletes. When else would some track competitor have a chance
to have his or her picture taken with Kobe Bryant or Roger Federer?

When they did take pictures of the crowd, they were recording a
personal moment in their lives. Why would anyone want to deny them
this?

Using just the US athletes, there were - what? - 600-some of them.
What are chances for any one of them, with the exceptions of the
"names" (like Bryant), to be able to spot themselves or their training
mates in the official footage?

One of the things I like most about the Opening Night ceremonies is
seeing how thrilled and excited the athletes are in the infield after
their country marches in. I like that they mingle with the athletes
from other nations.

The Olympic experience for most of those athletes will be over in one
heat or one round. They'll be done in a matter of seconds or minutes.
Let them enjoy what they have.

After the parade, infield, they had plenty of chance to mingle with fellow
athletes from their own and perhaps other countries, and take photos of
each other then. I did feel that while they were actually on parade
putting their cameras away would have looked better, and allowed them to
enjoy the experience better (rather than struggling to find out how to
turn off the flash!).

David

Why would they want to turn off their flash? They were close to each
other and fill flash would have been approriate.

Idiot!

Cal
Old August 10th 08, 09:40 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
David J Taylor[_5_]

Cal I Fornicate wrote:
[]
Why would they want to turn off their flash? They were close to each
other and fill flash would have been approriate.

Idiot!

Cal

You know perfectly well what I mean - they were fiddling with their
cameras rather than enjoying the event.

A lot of photos were directed from the athletes towards the crowd, perhaps
towards their national leaders, and for such photos flash would almost
certainly have been inappropriate. Judging by the amount of lighting, it
may also have been better to take in-field photos with the flash off.

David

Old August 10th 08, 09:42 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Chris Malcolm[_2_]

That80sGuy wrote:
In message , "Paul
Bartram" p.bartram AT OR NEAR mysoul.com.au done wrote:

guess that makes sense - who, having paid megabucks for a ticket, wants
some dweeb in the row behind poking a 400mm lens over your shoulder and
going calunk calunk calunk

Who, having paid megabucks for a ticket, wants to be prohibited from
bringing their 400mm lens?

Guess people will have to settle for firing
their little built-in flashes at a stadium an industrial strobe wouldn't
have any effect on!

Exactly. Those thousands of worthless flashes are more distracting than a
few folks who have the proper equipment to capture decent images.

They handed out lots of light sticks etc. for the audience to wave
just to make the seated part of the arena look more visually
interesting in TV shots. Perhaps they forbade DSLRs but not P&S
cameras because they wanted to encourage the sparkling flickering
effect of those tiny little flashes firing all over the place. It's
like a kind of luminous applause.

--
Chris Malcolm DoD #205
[

Old August 10th 08, 12:27 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Atheist Chaplain[_3_]

Cynicor wrote:
Chris H wrote:
[...]

define "real"
and I noticed you avoided anything to do with the issue at hand, rather your
hoping that pointing over there and shouting "Photo shopped" will divert
everyone away from the fact that your original assertion, that no one is
allowed to use flash photography in a concert is just plain wrong :-)
Nice try but no Cigar :-)

--
God made me an atheist. Who are you to question his wisdom?

Old August 10th 08, 07:46 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alfred Molon[_4_]

In article , SMS says...

Yeah, I watched last night, and it was pretty annoying to see all those
clueless people with their P&S flashes going off.

If all those flashes went off in exactly the same instant, they would be
sufficient to illuminate the entire stadium.
--

Alfred Molon
Old August 10th 08, 09:37 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
John McWilliams

Alfred Molon wrote:
In article , SMS says...

Yeah, I watched last night, and it was pretty annoying to see all those
clueless people with their P&S flashes going off.

If all those flashes went off in exactly the same instant, they would be
sufficient to illuminate the entire stadium.

Really? 90,000 flashes that can reach, say 30 feet can now reach 3,000?
I hope we hear from an engineer/physicist, cause it's not additive, but
I dunno how bundling light works.

--
john mcwilliams
Old August 10th 08, 09:39 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
John McWilliams

David J Taylor wrote:
Richard wrote:
[]
The ONLY reason the U.S. isn't (unlike with Russia in 1980) is
because they owe the Chinese trillions in loan dollars and half the
U.S. economy is based on cheap, Chinese rubbish.

So which DSLR cameras are made in the US?

Hah!

You gotta admire the grasp of global economics, though, right???

--
john mcwilliams