best lens on a P&S?

Old May 27th 07, 04:26 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Dr. Joel M. Hoffman

Default best lens on a P&S?

I'm trying to decide if it's worth getting a P&S to complement my
Canon 30D, for those times when I can't or don't want to bring along a
heavy expensive camera.

But I'm demanding.

So I'm wondering if there are any small P&S cameras out there with
really good optics. The pictures will never make it past 8x10, so I
don't need a lot of res. And I'll be using the camera outside, so
flash low/light isn't an issue.

The PowerShot S1 is tempting, but my guess is that the optics are only
mediocre.

Can someone recommend a P&S with really good optics? A true pocket
sized camera would be great, if the picture quality is high enough.

Many thanks.

-Joel

Free Bible and Mishna printouts in Hebrew: http://liturgy.lashon.net/
Old May 27th 07, 04:33 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Mike Russell

"Dr. Joel M. Hoffman" wrote in message

I'm trying to decide if it's worth getting a P&S to complement my
Canon 30D, for those times when I can't or don't want to bring along a
heavy expensive camera.

But I'm demanding.

So I'm wondering if there are any small P&S cameras out there with
really good optics. The pictures will never make it past 8x10, so I
don't need a lot of res. And I'll be using the camera outside, so
flash low/light isn't an issue.

The PowerShot S1 is tempting, but my guess is that the optics are only
mediocre.

Can someone recommend a P&S with really good optics? A true pocket
sized camera would be great, if the picture quality is high enough.

Joel - I would look at the sample images at www.imaging-resource.com .
Before buying my most recent P&S (a Nikon 8700) I downloaded the house image
and printed it to make sure it had enough rez for my purposes.
--
Mike Russell
www.curvemeister.com

Old May 27th 07, 04:48 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
dennis@home

"Dr. Joel M. Hoffman" wrote in message

I'm trying to decide if it's worth getting a P&S to complement my
Canon 30D, for those times when I can't or don't want to bring along a
heavy expensive camera.

If its a second camera it may be worth sacrificing a bit of quality for
something useful like it being waterproof.
I take my optio wp with me whatever the weather. It is unaffected by rain,
sand, etc.

Old May 27th 07, 05:10 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Dr. Joel M. Hoffman

If its a second camera it may be worth sacrificing a bit of quality for
something useful like it being waterproof.
I take my optio wp with me whatever the weather. It is unaffected by rain,
sand, etc.

An interesting thought. Thanks. (It seems the W30 is an updated
version of the same camera. Yes?)

Can anyone comment on the quality of the lens and other optics?
There's little point in having a great little camera that doesn't take
good pictures.

Thanks.

-Joel

EXIF data for any image or web page: http://exif.posted-online.com

Old May 27th 07, 05:22 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Haydon

I too am looking for a compact for the same reasons as you (something that
shoots in RAW, manual settings, good lens, so am interested to hear any
replies.

You mentioned that you are tempted by a Powershot S1, so I looked on the net
to see what it looked like. It doesn't look that 'compact'. I personally
would prefer to take a 20D/30D for the difference in size you would save.

Old May 27th 07, 08:53 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
ASAAR

On Sun, 27 May 2007 14:06:21 -0500, SelfImporantName trying to once
more fly in under the RADAR wrote:

Can someone recommend a P&S with really good optics? A true pocket
sized camera would be great, if the picture quality is high enough.

Many thanks.

Canon Powershot S3 IS with CHDK

New name, but the same old sock puppet. The S3 IS is a decent
camera, but in no way is it pocket sized.

Old May 27th 07, 09:34 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
jean

I bought a Canon G6 as a second camera, but I am thinking of getting a
Drebel 400 instead (I have a 30D). The G6 has all kinds of features, can
even do RAW but it lacks in speed compared to a DSLR. It is too big to
carry in a pocket too so that cuts down in usefullness, it takes noisy
pictures as soon as the ISO setting is past 100. If I am to carry a fairly
large camera, it may as well do things right so a 400XTi with a 28mm f1.8
which is like a "normal" lens on a 35mm camera would be a nice carry along.
I have a small 5Mp Nikon 5200 as a pocket camera, in great conditions, it
will give a correct picture, but I don't expect much from it.

Jean

Old May 27th 07, 10:07 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Frank ess

jean wrote:
[...]

My Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX1 has a LEICA label on the lens, and:
DC VARIO-ELMARIT 1:2.8-4.9/6.3-25.2 ASPH

If you can stand a little noise, sometimes even at 80 ISO, the image
quality is very good.

At least 10,000 examples:
http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=lx1&w=all

One mo
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/178/4...5042f4ec_o.jpg

I don't know about the LX2, although I've heard it isn't necessarily a
step forward in spite of its 10MP rating.

--
Frank ess

Old May 28th 07, 03:44 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
m II

Frank ess wrote:

jean wrote:
[...]

That's like a restaurant reviewer saying that except for the mouse
droppings, the food was quite good.

Leica should be more careful about what sensors/firmware people stick
behind their lenses.

mike

Old May 28th 07, 03:56 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

Free Bible and Mishna printouts in Hebrew: http://liturgy.lashon.net/

Best P&S [daylight 2nd] is the Sigma DP1:

http://www.sigma-dp1.com/

Just wait a bit please, out soon.

Most of the others are much the same, with special mention for FinePix
"F" series with its premium sensor

Cheers

M/P