$1000 choices

Old April 27th 07, 01:41 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Jackson Bryan

Default $1000 choices

So you have $1000 to blow today and you don't have to spend all of it if you
don't want to....what digital camera would you buy?

I don't care what it's to be used for, just what camera you fancy blowing
the money on.

JB

Old April 27th 07, 02:08 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ron Recer

"Jackson Bryan" wrote in message
So you have $1000 to blow today and you don't have to spend all of it if
you don't want to....what digital camera would you buy?

I don't care what it's to be used for, just what camera you fancy blowing
the money on.

JB

I would save up and get a real camera! g

Ron

Old April 27th 07, 02:20 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
David Dyer-Bennet

Jackson Bryan wrote:
So you have $1000 to blow today and you don't have to spend all of it if you
don't want to....what digital camera would you buy?

I don't care what it's to be used for, just what camera you fancy blowing
the money on.

Not enough money, sorry. There isn't anything I particular lust after
in that range. (That I don't already own).

I guess I'd get the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 lens (which costs less than half
that), since that's the only thing I can remember on the list for less
than $1000.

Hmmm; I guess I'd add in one of the Zigview video viewfinder
attachments, that still fits well within the budget. That's actually a
good place to spend some mad money, since I have no idea how useful I'd
actually find it.

And maybe the KatzEye screen in my D200 ($150 installed).
Old April 27th 07, 04:25 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
ray

On Fri, 27 Apr 2007 01:41:28 +0100, Jackson Bryan wrote:

So you have $1000 to blow today and you don't have to spend all of it if you
don't want to....what digital camera would you buy?

I don't care what it's to be used for, just what camera you fancy blowing
the money on.

JB

Personally - a Sony Alpha - partly because I already have a Minolta 35mm
slr and several lenses.

Old April 27th 07, 01:57 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Michael Meissner

"Jackson Bryan" writes:

So you have $1000 to blow today and you don't have to spend all of it if you
don't want to....what digital camera would you buy?

I don't care what it's to be used for, just what camera you fancy blowing
the money on.

Well, I'm currently in negotiations with my wife to buy the Olympus E-510 and
the 2 kit lenses, to complement the E-1 and 4 medium level lenses that I
already own, but I may get just the E-510 without the lenses and save $200.
However, if I didn't have any Olympus gear, and $1k was all I could spend, it
changes the equation somewhat.

--
Michael Meissner
email:
Old April 27th 07, 02:07 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Dr. Joel M. Hoffman

So you have $1000 to blow today and you don't have to spend all of it if you
don't want to....what digital camera would you buy?

$1,000 is just a bit too little. I'd spend $1,200 and get the Canon
XTi with the 17-85 IS USM lens. (I see little point in getting the
XTi if you're going to put the standard kit lens on it.)

If you really have to keep it under $1K, get a P&S.

-Joel

EXIF data for any image or web page: http://exif.posted-online.com

Old April 27th 07, 08:28 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
ASAAR

On Fri, 27 Apr 2007 13:07:51 GMT, Dr. Joel M. Hoffman wrote:

So you have $1000 to blow today and you don't have to spend all of it
if you don't want to....what digital camera would you buy?

$1,000 is just a bit too little. I'd spend $1,200 and get the Canon
XTi with the 17-85 IS USM lens. (I see little point in getting the
XTi if you're going to put the standard kit lens on it.)

If you really have to keep it under $1K, get a P&S.

That's a little condescending don'tcha think? Maybe it speaks to
the fatter wallets that may be common among doctors, but you can
still spend well under $1000 and get a fine camera/lens combination,
more capable than any P&S I'm aware of. One such is Nikon's D50
with 18-70mm lens, which is/was available for less than $750.
Eventually the D40 should be available without the included 18-55mm
kit lens, and then it too should be available with the 18-70mm lens
for about the same $750.

There may be even better deals for good camera/lens combos from
Pentax and Olympus. Not so from Canon I think, unless you get a
used EOS 3xxD body. I agree with your point that the XTi with
standard kit lens isn't a stellar combination, but it seems that you
added the 17-85mm IS USM lens (which breaks the OP's budget) in
order to be able to recommend a Canon solution. Heck, Nikon's D40
and 18-200 VR lens could have been recommended, and they would sell
for about the same price as the XTi and 18-85mm IS USM combo. Either
combo has advantages and disadvantages not shared by the other, and
either could be a reasonable response to someone really considering
spending real money do avoid making an foolish choice by (as you
noted) getting a not very well regarded kit lens. But you/we don't
have to worry about keeping the OP from "blowing it" since JB's
question seems more a "thought experiment" or a fantasy (if not a
benign troll ). This should be pretty obvious from :

Old April 27th 07, 10:53 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Charles[_2_]

"Jackson Bryan" wrote in message
So you have $1000 to blow today and you don't have to spend all of it if
you don't want to....what digital camera would you buy?

I don't care what it's to be used for, just what camera you fancy blowing
the money on.

The fact that what it is to be used for is irrelevant, makes your query
irrelevant.

Go to BestBuy and show them your $1000 bill and state that the use of the
camera is irrelevant and they will be more than happy to sell you something.

Old April 28th 07, 07:00 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill Funk

wrote:

So you have $1000 to blow today and you don't have to spend all of it if you
don't want to....what digital camera would you buy?

I don't care what it's to be used for, just what camera you fancy blowing
the money on.

JB

If you're a neophyte, you'll need to be a lot more specific.
There is no "best" camera, just like there's no "best" car, or pen, or
computer, or color. There's only what's best *for you*.
And without knowing more about you (and especially what you want the
camera for), we can't even begin to tell you what may be best for you.

The View on Disney-owned ABC dropped Rosie
O'Donnell, even after she agreed to stop
talking about George Bush. The president
has no leverage over ABC. Disney is not a
defense contractor, unless you count the
war rationales we buy from Fantasyland.
Old April 28th 07, 09:34 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Jackson Bryan

wrote:

So you have $1000 to blow today and you don't have to spend all of it if
you
don't want to....what digital camera would you buy?

I don't care what it's to be used for, just what camera you fancy blowing
the money on.

JB

If you're a neophyte, you'll need to be a lot more specific.
There is no "best" camera, just like there's no "best" car, or pen, or
computer, or color. There's only what's best *for you*.
And without knowing more about you (and especially what you want the
camera for), we can't even begin to tell you what may be best for you.

Precisely why I asked what you'd buy for you, not what you'd buy for me.

JB

SLR choices Bolshoy Huy Digital Photography 10 November 23rd 05 03:34 PM
SLR choices Jim Digital Photography 0 November 23rd 05 04:18 AM
SLR choices Mr.Bolshoy Huy 35mm Photo Equipment 22 March 17th 05 05:45 PM
P&S choices Mr.Bolshoy Huy Digital Photography 0 March 8th 05 03:58 AM
Choices, choices stuart.cameron Digital Photography 1 June 28th 04 10:29 AM