What kind of bird is this?

Old April 10th 07, 05:44 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
C J Campbell

Default What kind of bird is this?

On 2007-04-09 13:51:12 -0700, (Dr. Joel M. Hoffman) said:

A bit off topic, but I'll be grateful if someone can help me identify
the bird in the first shot on this page:

http://posted-online.com/NWC/

I think it's an Igret, but I'd like to know for sure. (It's hiding in
the bottom right-hand corner.)

Thanks.

-Joel

I also would say great blue heron. These are a large bird, about 46"
tall. The yellow bill and light colored neck distinguish it from the
much smaller little blue heron. It appears to be a young bird, still
with some immature plumage. The image is too small to accurately guess
the age. I can't see if it has the head plume yet.

Little blue herons have dark necks and look almost black from a
distance, although there is a much lighter calico phase. Great blues
also have a white phase, known as the great white heron or Florida
heron; also an intermediate phase called Wurdemann's heron. However,
this appears to be an immature great blue heron.

They are solitary birds, rather skittish, stalking or still-hunting in
marshes and beaches. They are very successful hunters. They seem to
take flight whenever I show up with a camera. There is one that hunts
every morning at sunrise on our beach, but I can't even approach the
window of the house without him taking off -- and he is usually 50
yards away. He will also depart if eagles, seals, or other large birds
show up. They just don't seem to like company.

--
Waddling Eagle
World Famous Flight Instructor

Old April 10th 07, 06:55 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Dave Devine

Annika1980 wrote:

That's Spike's cousin:
http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/68412685

Any recent sightings of Spike? Haven't seen a pic lately and fear the
worst...

Dave

--
There's a fine line between stupid and clever.
Old April 10th 07, 12:16 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Joseph Meehan

C J Campbell wrote:
On 2007-04-09 13:51:12 -0700, (Dr. Joel M. Hoffman) said:

[...]

And a voice that can break glass. They sure don't sound like they look.

Around my area many have become accustomed to having people close and
tend to allow people a lot closer. When rowing (a single sculling boat) I
often row slowly past maybe 10-15 feet away. They may watch me, but most
stay where they are. They often chose to fly past me no more than 8-10 feet
away from my head. Really neat birds. The fledglings we had a couple of
years ago did not seem to even notice humans. They hopped from boat to boat
with people carrying boats down and loading up on the dock. It took about a
week as I recall before they were all flying and were away from the nest.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Old April 10th 07, 01:27 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Doug Payne[_2_]

Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!) wrote:

Hmm, wasn't aware there is a Little Blue Heron, though I guess I should
have.

It's pretty specific to the southern US, while the Great Blue is
widespread across N. America (and possibly elsewhere).
Old April 10th 07, 02:02 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Dr. Joel M. Hoffman

A bit off topic, but I'll be grateful if someone can help me identify
the bird in the first shot on this page:

http://posted-online.com/NWC/

I think it's an Igret, but I'd like to know for sure. (It's hiding in
the bottom right-hand corner.)

More properly known as a Great Blue Heron, no?

We call them "muddy egrets" in these parts. Beautiful birds.

I like your parts - it means I got the name right!

-Joel

Old April 10th 07, 02:04 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Dr. Joel M. Hoffman

[

http://posted-online.com/NWC/

which shows, apparently, a Great Blue Heron. ]

FWIW, to me it doesn't look anything close to a GBH from what these sites
show:
http://www.birds.cornell.edu/AllAbou...lue_Heron.html
http://www.enature.com/flashcard/sho...dNumber=BD0111
http://www.inhs.uiuc.edu/chf/pub/ifw...lue-heron.html
http://www.nhptv.org/natureworks/littleblueheron.htm

Why do you think it isn't a GREAT Blue Heron when you are showing us
four different pictures of LITTLE Blue Herons? It is definitely a Great
Blue, a magnificent bird.

I think the point was that the Breat Blue Heron and the Little Blue
Heron dont' look at all alike.

-Joel

Old April 10th 07, 02:06 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Dr. Joel M. Hoffman

A bit off topic, but I'll be grateful if someone can help me identify
the bird in the first shot on this page:

http://posted-online.com/NWC/

That's Spike's cousin:
http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/68412685

Nice shot. But I have to say, in my ignorance about birds, that mine
looks grayer that the GBH.

-Joel

Old April 10th 07, 02:08 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Dr. Joel M. Hoffman

A bit off topic, but I'll be grateful if someone can help me identify
the bird in the first shot on this page:

http://posted-online.com/NWC/

I think it's an Igret, but I'd like to know for sure. (It's hiding in
the bottom right-hand corner.)

Thanks.

-Joel

I also would say great blue heron. These are a large bird, about 46"
tall. The yellow bill and light colored neck distinguish it from the
[...]

Thanks for your very detailed reply.

-Joel
Old April 10th 07, 02:39 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
J. Clarke

Dave Devine wrote:
Annika1980 wrote:

That's Spike's cousin:
http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/68412685

Any recent sightings of Spike? Haven't seen a pic lately and fear the
worst...

In the initial thread
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.p...1f9cf1f5fcbcdd
Bret said that the government wildlife people who looked at Spike
decided that it would probably work its way out and that trying to catch
him and remove it would likely do more harm than leaving him
alone--apparently birds do this sort of thing to themselves with some
regularity, there was another photo in the thread of a seagull who had
managed to do the same with a starfish.

Presumably the nail has worked its way out and Spike is now happily
nailless and more or less indistinguishable from any other heron.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Old April 10th 07, 02:48 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Allen

Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!) wrote:
On Mon, 09 Apr 2007 20:22:51 -0500, in rec.photo.digital Allen
wrote:

Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!) wrote:
On Mon, 9 Apr 2007 19:57:10 -0400, in rec.photo.digital "Joseph Meehan"
wrote:

Yes and there is a Little Blue Heron as well, but that one looks like a
Great Blue.
FWIW, to me it doesn't look anything close to a GBH from what these sites
show:
http://www.birds.cornell.edu/AllAbou...lue_Heron.html
http://www.enature.com/flashcard/sho...dNumber=BD0111
http://www.inhs.uiuc.edu/chf/pub/ifw...lue-heron.html
http://www.nhptv.org/natureworks/littleblueheron.htm

Why do you think it isn't a GREAT Blue Heron when you are showing us
four different pictures of LITTLE Blue Herons? It is definitely a Great
Blue, a magnificent bird.

My mistake in reply , not ident. I have many photos of GBH's on my site and
am in fact processing a few as we speak. I quickly read Joseph's message
and misinterpreted as it as saying a LBH looks like a GBH. That is what I
replying to. And I do believe in fact my shots are of a Little Green, not
Blue Heron. It is quite difficult to tell the difference and I and several
folks from the Virginia Institute of Marine Science went around the ident
from these photos several times. If you can provide a reference to the
contrary, I would be interested.

We don't have Little Blues in my area (Austin TX), or at least I've
never seen one. We do have huge numbers of Greats, even in non-flowing
streams with a few puddles 5 or 6 inches deep during periods between
rains, right in the middle of town. We also have a smaller number of
Greens, which certainly look like your pictures--extensive brown on the
neck, shorter neck than Little Blues. I just pulled out a Peterson and
your birds look like his Greens, some adult, some immature. About Great
Blues: I will never forget an experience in West Texas 30 years ago; we
watched perhaps 75 Greats coming in to their roosting places on a lake
well after sunset, with only a dull glow left in the sky. There were no
obvious signs of civilization--no telephone or power lines, no
buildings, no vehicles; it felt eerily like pre-history, reminding of
the creation episode in Fantasia with The Rite of Spring . Great Blues
are among my favorite birds.

And--the pictures on your site are wonderful. How about sharing some
information about your tools and methods? I, and I'm sure many others,
would like to know. As I'm sure you know from experience, birds aren't
exactly the easiest things to photograph.

Allen