Coolpix 4500 VS 990?

Old December 5th 03, 11:56 PM
Melissa

"David J Taylor" -this-bit doth
postedeth:

"Melissa" wrote in message
If you had the choice of a refurbed 4500 or 990 for under $400, which

would
you get?

If I had existing AA-sized batteries and some CF cards, I would get the
990. But possibly not at that price.

My mistake, checking Ebay it appears the used 990's go for around $200.

Can you use NIMH batteries in them? Would that work well? Alkalines are WAY
too expensive.

--
Yours In Liberty, Melissa - Colorado, U.S.A.

"Guns Defend Life & Liberty" license plate frame
http://www.cafeshops.com/melissa_photo

Would like to make friends in the west Denver area with similar interests &
values. - Shaolin-based Martial arts, Writing, Rock music, Sci-Fi, Chess,
Libertarian, Objectivist, RKBA, guns & Shooting, polyamory.

Old December 6th 03, 12:02 AM
Melissa

These guys are claiming to sell new 4500's for $350 and I had one
bookmarked that sold within 1 day, of course. But is this for real?
They have a 98.6% feedback rating with over 1000 deals.

Old December 6th 03, 12:15 AM
Don Coon

Do an advanced search on Ebay (Nikon 4500) with the Completed Auctions box
checked and you'll see that this is not that far out of line. Also set the
minimum price to 200 to ignore a bunch of noise.

&

Old December 6th 03, 01:03 AM
(Pete Cresswell)

RE/
Can you use NIMH batteries in them? Would that work well? Alkalines are WAY
too expensive.

Not "can", "have to".... My 990 will drain a set of alkalines very quickly.

You want two or three sets of NiMh's and a decent charger like one of Maha's.
--
PeteCresswell
Old December 6th 03, 11:33 AM
David J Taylor

My mistake, checking Ebay it appears the used 990's go for around $200.

Can you use NIMH batteries in them? Would that work well? Alkalines are

WAY
too expensive.

Oh, yes. Everyone uses AA-sized NiMH in the 990.

The swivel design allows you to have a lot of flexibility in picture
taking, allowing you to place the camera on a flat surface and point the
lens at the subject. This way, exposures up to 1 second (of building
interiors for example) come out pin-sharp. Another use we've found (my
wife and I have 990s, I recently upgraded to a 5700) is at conferences -
interiors again where the exposure might be 1/4 second. You can put the
camera on your desk or table, and point it sideways to get candid photos
of other delegates! Be sure the flash is disabled, of course.

There are two things to look out for on the 990 - some people manage to
break the battery door cover, and the rotary mode switch does need the
occasional drop of switch cleaner.

At $200 it's a wonderful bargain, which will provide you with high-quality
pictures and lots of fun!

Cheers,
David

Old December 7th 03, 02:16 AM
Melissa

"Don Coon" doth postedeth:

Do an advanced search on Ebay (Nikon 4500) with the Completed Auctions

box
checked and you'll see that this is not that far out of line. Also set

the
minimum price to 200 to ignore a bunch of noise.

Keep in mind that most of those are used or refurbs. Add "new" to that
search and see what I mean.

Old December 7th 03, 04:03 AM
Maurice Tremblay

"David J Taylor" -this-bit wrote in message ...
[...]

Take care in Canada!!! my 990 is at nikon for repairs..... for 10 month now!!!
Old December 7th 03, 04:18 AM
Don Coon

"Melissa" wrote in message
"Don Coon" doth postedeth:

Do an advanced search on Ebay (Nikon 4500) with the Completed Auctions

box
checked and you'll see that this is not that far out of line. Also set

the
minimum price to 200 to ignore a bunch of noise.

Keep in mind that most of those are used or refurbs. Add "new" to that
search and see what I mean.

Nothing wrong with factory refurbished cameras based on my experience.