Scanning 35mm negs and slides

Old October 24th 17, 02:26 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
newshound

Default Scanning 35mm negs and slides

I have an ancient (and almost unused) Dimage Scan Dual IV which I
believe was well rated in its day. Is it still worth taking the trouble
to try to get it working on Win 10 (I also have a Macbook Pro and a Unix
box)? No current drivers from Minolta/Konica I understand, should I
invest in VueScan, or something else?

Or would it be easier just to buy something more recent? Not looking to
spend "professional" money, but not bargain basement either.
Old October 24th 17, 02:59 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

In article ,
newshound wrote:

I have an ancient (and almost unused) Dimage Scan Dual IV which I
believe was well rated in its day. Is it still worth taking the trouble
to try to get it working on Win 10 (I also have a Macbook Pro and a Unix
box)? No current drivers from Minolta/Konica I understand, should I
invest in VueScan, or something else?

Or would it be easier just to buy something more recent? Not looking to
spend "professional" money, but not bargain basement either.

Download Vuescan and check if you like the results. The download is free
and fully functional besides clearly visible "watermarks".
--
teleportation kills
Old October 24th 17, 08:33 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne

On 2017-10-24 09:26, newshound wrote:
I have an ancient (and almost unused) Dimage Scan Dual IV which I
believe was well rated in its day. Is it still worth taking the trouble
to try to get it working on Win 10 (I also have a Macbook Pro and a Unix
box)? No current drivers from Minolta/Konica I understand, should I
invest in VueScan, or something else?

Or would it be easier just to buy something more recent? Not looking to
spend "professional" money, but not bargain basement either.

I'd get it up and running, but I'm funny that way. That scanner was a
late model, the last from Minolta being the 5400 (and 5400 II). I had
the 5400 and it was excellent. (Sold it and bought a Nikon 9000ED).

Is VueScan worth it? Sure. Currently it's about US$90. Question is:
can you get equivalent (or better) scans of the photos of interest for
less cost (and hassle).
Old October 25th 17, 11:34 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
newshound

On 2017-10-24 09:26, newshound wrote:
I have an ancient (and almost unused) Dimage Scan Dual IV which I
believe was well rated in its day. Is it still worth taking the
trouble to try to get it working on Win 10 (I also have a Macbook Pro
and a Unix box)? No current drivers from Minolta/Konica I understand,
should I invest in VueScan, or something else?

Or would it be easier just to buy something more recent? Not looking
to spend "professional" money, but not bargain basement either.

I'd get it up and running, but I'm funny that way.ツ* That scanner was a
late model, the last from Minolta being the 5400 (and 5400 II).ツ* I had
the 5400 and it was excellent.ツ* (Sold it and bought a Nikon 9000ED).

Is VueScan worth it?ツ* Sure.ツ* Currently it's about US$90.ツ* Question is:
can you get equivalent (or better) scans of the photos of interest for
less cost (and hassle).

Thanks both for the advice on VueScan. I've been burned before with
trialware that has great reviews on-line, takes an age to get setup and
working, turns out to have the feature I wanted to test crippled, and
only then declares its true cost.

I'll give it a try.
Old October 25th 17, 11:57 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

On 2017-10-24 09:26, newshound wrote:
[...]

I've paid for and use the pro version. You don't need to pay to try. You
need to pay to get scans without watermarks. I've described my workflow
in another thread some time ago... You can find two samples in the
gallery of my blog:

http://wp.me/P3strj-2m
--
teleportation kills
Old October 25th 17, 12:55 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
newshound

On 2017-10-24 09:26, newshound wrote:
I have an ancient (and almost unused) Dimage Scan Dual IV which I
believe was well rated in its day. Is it still worth taking the
trouble to try to get it working on Win 10 (I also have a Macbook Pro
and a Unix box)? No current drivers from Minolta/Konica I understand,
should I invest in VueScan, or something else?

Or would it be easier just to buy something more recent? Not looking
to spend "professional" money, but not bargain basement either.

I'd get it up and running, but I'm funny that way.テつ* That scanner was a
late model, the last from Minolta being the 5400 (and 5400 II).テつ* I had
the 5400 and it was excellent.テつ* (Sold it and bought a Nikon 9000ED).

Is VueScan worth it?テつ* Sure.テつ* Currently it's about US$90.テつ* Question is:
can you get equivalent (or better) scans of the photos of interest for
less cost (and hassle).

Thanks both for the advice on VueScan. I've been burned before with
trialware that has great reviews on-line, takes an age to get setup and
working, turns out to have the feature I wanted to test crippled, and
only then declares its true cost.

I'll give it a try.

I've paid for and use the pro version. You don't need to pay to try. You
need to pay to get scans without watermarks. I've described my workflow
in another thread some time ago... You can find two samples in the
gallery of my blog:

http://wp.me/P3strj-2m

Thanks. I used to *love* Kodachrome II.
Old October 25th 17, 02:37 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Dimitris Tzortzakakis

ホ」マホケマ 24/10/2017 4:26 ホシホシ, ホソ newshound ホ*ホウマ∃アマ夷オ:
I have an ancient (and almost unused) Dimage Scan Dual IV which I
believe was well rated in its day. Is it still worth taking the trouble
to try to get it working on Win 10 (I also have a Macbook Pro and a Unix
box)? No current drivers from Minolta/Konica I understand, should I
invest in VueScan, or something else?

Or would it be easier just to buy something more recent? Not looking to
spend "professional" money, but not bargain basement either.

I'm not sure about getting it to work on win10, it might as well be
impossible. I have a Rollei scanner, which is standalone and takes an SD
card, and is for B&W, colour negs and slides. I bought it from an online
shop, called e-shop in Greece. It is Rollei DF-S 100 SE and cost me 65
euros in 2015, and produces acceptable results, as long as you have the
patience to clean the negatives, or slides. Getting your dimage to work
in win 10 might be a different kettle of fish.

---
http://www.avg.com

Old October 26th 17, 01:31 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Noons

On 25/10/2017 12:26 @wiz, newshound wrote:

box)? No current drivers from Minolta/Konica I understand, should I
invest in VueScan, or something else?

Most definitely vuescan. I cannot recommend it more highly.
Been using it for over 10 years and it is the best value.

Or would it be easier just to buy something more recent? Not looking to
spend "professional" money, but not bargain basement either.

If you find a more neew recent scanner as good as that one, let us know.

Unfortunately apart from some of the top end Epsons, there is very
little choice nowadays.
Other than something incredibly expensive like the plustek Opticfilm120
- which is that expensive because of the crap software bundled with it.

Mine works heaps better with vuescan than with its horrible bundled
software!
Old October 26th 17, 04:54 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
newshound

On 26/10/2017 13:31, Noons wrote:
On 25/10/2017 12:26 @wiz, newshound wrote:

box)? No current drivers from Minolta/Konica I understand, should I
invest in VueScan, or something else?

Most definitely vuescan.ツ* I cannot recommend it more highly.
Been using it for over 10 years and it is the best value.

Or would it be easier just to buy something more recent? Not looking
to spend "professional" money, but not bargain basement either.

If you find a more neew recent scanner as good as that one, let us know.

Unfortunately apart from some of the top end Epsons, there is very
little choice nowadays.
Other than something incredibly expensive like the plustek Opticfilm120
- which is that expensive because of the crap software bundled with it.

Mine works heaps better with vuescan than with its horrible bundled
software!

Thanks, that's definitely on my list to try, then! Nothing like a couple
of recommendations from actual users!
Old October 26th 17, 10:01 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Peter Jason

On Tue, 24 Oct 2017 15:33:00 -0400, Alan Browne

On 2017-10-24 09:26, newshound wrote:
I have an ancient (and almost unused) Dimage Scan Dual IV which I
believe was well rated in its day. Is it still worth taking the trouble
to try to get it working on Win 10 (I also have a Macbook Pro and a Unix
box)? No current drivers from Minolta/Konica I understand, should I
invest in VueScan, or something else?

Or would it be easier just to buy something more recent? Not looking to
spend "professional" money, but not bargain basement either.

I'd get it up and running, but I'm funny that way. That scanner was a
late model, the last from Minolta being the 5400 (and 5400 II). I had
the 5400 and it was excellent. (Sold it and bought a Nikon 9000ED).

Is VueScan worth it? Sure. Currently it's about US$90. Question is:
can you get equivalent (or better) scans of the photos of interest for
less cost (and hassle).

I have a Dimage scanner but it's slow.
Are there good commercial scanning services for slides, that can
handle a chest full of old slides? Some slides have disintegrating
cardboard surrounds that will have to be cleaned.
Do these commercial scanning services clean the slides too? Some
slides have been stored in the open with emulsion-side up and so have
dust entrained in the emulsion. And there are fingerprints. Can the
soiled surface of the emulsion be scraped off?