A remote controlled USB camera

Old December 13th 08, 09:34 AM posted to rec.photo.marketplace.digital,rec.photo.digital
Angela Marsh

Default A remote controlled USB camera

I have some pet birds in their own room, next door to my office.

I'd like to put up an AC powered camera in there, that would wirelessly
transmit to a receiver that would go into my computer via USB port.

I'd like to be able to watch, and maybe record videos of their singing and
antics, without interrupting them, by doing this.

I understand X10 stuff is cheap junk, but what is there that won't cost a
lot, yet would still be reliable, that would enable me to do this?

Old December 13th 08, 11:29 AM posted to rec.photo.marketplace.digital,rec.photo.digital
Neil Ellwood

On Sat, 13 Dec 2008 02:34:03 -0600, Angela Marsh wrote:

I have some pet birds in their own room, next door to my office.

I'd like to put up an AC powered camera in there, that would wirelessly
transmit to a receiver that would go into my computer via USB port.

I'd like to be able to watch, and maybe record videos of their singing
and antics, without interrupting them, by doing this.

I understand X10 stuff is cheap junk, but what is there that won't cost
a lot, yet would still be reliable, that would enable me to do this?

Why not get one of the cameras designed for nest boxes?

--
Neil
reverse ra and delete l
Old December 13th 08, 07:48 PM posted to rec.photo.marketplace.digital,rec.photo.digital
DavidM

Angela Marsh wrote:
I have some pet birds in their own room, next door to my office.

I'd like to put up an AC powered camera in there, that would wirelessly
transmit to a receiver that would go into my computer via USB port.

I'd like to be able to watch, and maybe record videos of their singing and
antics, without interrupting them, by doing this.

I understand X10 stuff is cheap junk, but what is there that won't cost a
lot, yet would still be reliable, that would enable me to do this?

Something like this perhaps;

"http://search.stores.ebay.co.uk/fire-shoot-store_usb-receiver_W0QQfciZQ2d1QQfclZ4QQfsnZfireQ5fshootQ20s toreQQfsooZ1QQfsopZ1QQsaselZ526957178QQsofpZ0"

Old December 14th 08, 03:45 AM posted to rec.photo.marketplace.digital,rec.photo.digital
Angela Marsh

Neil Ellwood wrote :

On Sat, 13 Dec 2008 02:34:03 -0600, Angela Marsh wrote:

I have some pet birds in their own room, next door to my office.

I'd like to put up an AC powered camera in there, that would wirelessly
transmit to a receiver that would go into my computer via USB port.

I'd like to be able to watch, and maybe record videos of their singing
and antics, without interrupting them, by doing this.

I understand X10 stuff is cheap junk, but what is there that won't cost
a lot, yet would still be reliable, that would enable me to do this?

Why not get one of the cameras designed for nest boxes?

I'd like to be able to pan around the room. We have 6 birds to watch.

Old December 14th 08, 03:48 AM posted to rec.photo.marketplace.digital,rec.photo.digital
Sarah Houston

DavidM wrote :

Angela Marsh wrote:
I have some pet birds in their own room, next door to my office.

I'd like to put up an AC powered camera in there, that would
wirelessly transmit to a receiver that would go into my computer via
USB port.

I'd like to be able to watch, and maybe record videos of their
singing and antics, without interrupting them, by doing this.

I understand X10 stuff is cheap junk, but what is there that won't
cost a lot, yet would still be reliable, that would enable me to do
this?

Something like this perhaps;

"http://search.stores.ebay.co.uk/fire-shoot-store_usb-receiver_W0QQfci
ZQ2d1QQfclZ4QQfsnZfireQ5fshootQ20storeQQfsooZ1QQfs opZ1QQsaselZ52695717
8QQsofpZ0"

Wouldn't I need the U.S. version? Do we have different standards than
UK?

Old December 14th 08, 07:09 PM posted to rec.photo.marketplace.digital,rec.photo.digital
Neil Ellwood

On Sat, 13 Dec 2008 20:45:38 -0600, Angela Marsh wrote:

Neil Ellwood wrote :

On Sat, 13 Dec 2008 02:34:03 -0600, Angela Marsh wrote:

I have some pet birds in their own room, next door to my office.

I'd like to put up an AC powered camera in there, that would
wirelessly transmit to a receiver that would go into my computer via
USB port.

I'd like to be able to watch, and maybe record videos of their singing
and antics, without interrupting them, by doing this.

I understand X10 stuff is cheap junk, but what is there that won't
cost a lot, yet would still be reliable, that would enable me to do
this?

Why not get one of the cameras designed for nest boxes?

I'd like to be able to pan around the room. We have 6 birds to watch.

Make yourself a rotating mount.

--
Neil
reverse ra and delete l
Old December 20th 08, 03:49 AM posted to rec.photo.marketplace.digital,rec.photo.digital
Sarah Houston

Matt Ion wrote :

Angela Marsh wrote:
I have some pet birds in their own room, next door to my office.

I'd like to put up an AC powered camera in there, that would
wirelessly transmit to a receiver that would go into my computer via
USB port.

I'd like to be able to watch, and maybe record videos of their
singing and antics, without interrupting them, by doing this.

I understand X10 stuff is cheap junk, but what is there that won't
cost a lot, yet would still be reliable, that would enable me to do
this?

Take a look at some of D-Link's wireless network cameras:
http://www.dlink.com/products/category.asp?cid=58&sec=1

It may require you add either a wireless adapter to your PC, or a
wireless router to your internet connection (if you don't already
have one)... the latter is probably easier, and cheaper.

I'm more interested in one with a simple RF link to a receiver with USB
to my computer.