120 film near SFO

Old July 10th 08, 02:59 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
John McWilliams

Default 120 film near SFO

Paul Furman wrote:
John McWilliams wrote:
Alan Browne wrote:
Alan Browne^ wrote:
Hi,

I'll be arriving at SFO next week.

Is there a good store with 120 near the airport?

Velvia 100, 100F, E100G, ...

Thanks,
Alan

Thanks to all who replied.

So far, only Calumet has all the film types I want in stock and have
reserved them without pre-payment for me.

I've got to call Keeble & Shuchat yet. That would be pretty
convenient as we're driving south, not north when we get the car.

They have a collection of cameras lining a few walls, and a small
exhibit area. Two store fronts within a block or so of one another.
Calumet is fine, but a bit dry and chain-ish.

I think you'd like K$S.

Calumet's SF store is kind of a cool industrial warehouse artist loft
thing, strictly pro supplies, equipment rental, overpriced studio space,
I get my ink & paper there but yes it's definitely a chain.

K/S is a pretty big old time camera shop in a nice old-town small-town
area in Palo Alto with a heck of a lot more interesting stuff to gawk
at. I went there for an m42 screwmount adapter once.

Adolph Gasser is an old relic South of Market near the financial
district with a film counter downstairs, lots of locked glass displays
on the main floor & the repair window upstairs. I went there for years
for specific slide films when I was doing landscape architecture work at
offices downtown.

Photographer's Supply is a bare bones film counter packed between the
warehouses South of Market. This is where the art students buy film with
spare change they just panhandled g, and pros.

Pro Photo I haven't been to but sounds like a great quirky mess of a
shop. Lots of studios in that area: Dog Patch, around the other side of
Potrero Hill. I talked to one guy on the phone before & some friends
like them.

Nice summary, leaving out only my fav, The Looking Glass almost in the
heart of Beserkeley.
It's sad that Gasser had one too many employees who couldn't make the
transition.

--
john mcwilliams
Old July 10th 08, 06:13 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Father Kodak

On Tue, 08 Jul 2008 18:01:15 -0700, Hamish Reid
Ah, Kaufmann's! Of course, I have that typically snobby Berkeley / City
view of the world that ends somewhere around South City and restarts at
Palo Alto :-).

What's so snobby about that view?

Unless I'm completely wrong, you can still get lots of film products
at K&S. They still have their darkroom department, but now it's on
the second floor of their main store, the bottom being devoted
entirely to digital.

Father Kodak
Old July 11th 08, 01:55 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Alan Browne

John McWilliams wrote:
Alan Browne wrote:

I've got to call Keeble & Shuchat yet. That would be pretty
convenient as we're driving south, not north when we get the car.

They have a collection of cameras lining a few walls, and a small
exhibit area. Two store fronts within a block or so of one another.
Calumet is fine, but a bit dry and chain-ish.

Dry and chainish, reserving the film I want w/o pre-payment is better
than warm and individual with only 1/3 of the films I want...

(Such, alas, is the true state of film).

I think you'd like K$S.

No doubt. OTOH, my SO is armed with finite patience and the trip is 19
days... I'm not going to use up too much of it on day one.

So if K&S don't have all of the films, I won't be dropping in...

(I phoned them earlier today, they have K100G and Velvia 100 but not
Velvia 100F in 120 format).

Cheers,
Alan.

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old August 9th 08, 06:05 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Alan Browne

Default 120 film near SFO - K&S

John McWilliams wrote:

They have a collection of cameras lining a few walls, and a small
exhibit area. Two store fronts within a block or so of one another.
Calumet is fine, but a bit dry and chain-ish.

I think you'd like K$S.

Yes, both K&S locations had a lot of vintage cameras, mostly up above
the cabinets behind the counters. My SO, however, had no patience for
my perusing. She also saw me lusting at the 135 f/2.8 STF [T4.5] and
knew she had to drag me out of there.

The price of 120 film was atrocious. I signed the CC slip w/o looking
at the price. $67 for two 5-paks of 120! (Velvia 100 and E100G).
Thankfully I had brought another 10 rolls or with me.

I guess that's the K$S store.

I rented a 40mm lens for the Hasselblad on the other side of the street.
(K&S). Very friendly and helpful service. I had considered renting
the same lens in Montreal for the trip which came to about $275 for the
near 3 weeks (Photo Service). It was $142 tax in at K&S. They asked
for a $4500 deposit which I agreed to, and then they didn't take the
deposit.

I complimented the fellow on K&S fine service and he commented, "Hmm, we
don't get complimented often." (See below). It's pretty sad when an
employee makes comments like that and clearly the fault of management.

When I brought the lens back I warned them that it had gotten a lot of
dust on the trails and told them to vacuum the surfaces to get the dust
out of the cracks. They said they'd get it cleaned. Can't see how
they'd make a profit on me (unless they have in-house cleaning).

I took my exposed film in to K&S as well. $6.00 / roll, uncut.

I asked how much for 15 rolls, strip cut, sleeved and mailed to Montreal.

The lady's attitude was not: "let's see ...", but "We don't cut film."

U-turned out of there ... guess that's why some people call K&S "Keep it
and Shove it."

Still, glad I went there overall. But I would recommend that people in
the area shop carefully. They are not the best value and are in some
cases a bit arrogant and rude.

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old August 9th 08, 06:26 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Lawrence Akutagawa

"Alan Browne" wrote in message
John McWilliams wrote:

[...]

Alan -

May I strongly suggest that you forward this post of yours to the K&S folks?
I'd do it, but it would be not be right for me to be the one doing it. I
think that the K&S folks would greatly benefit from this kind of feedback
and - hopefully - appreciate receiving it. Here are the email addresses at
K&S, at the very bottom of this page -

http://www.kspphoto.com/activepages/to_reach_us.html

Old August 9th 08, 06:40 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
David Nebenzahl

On 8/9/2008 10:05 AM Alan Browne spake thus:

Yes, both K&S locations had a lot of vintage cameras, mostly up above
the cabinets behind the counters. My SO, however, had no patience for
my perusing. She also saw me lusting at the 135 f/2.8 STF [T4.5] and
knew she had to drag me out of there.

The price of 120 film was atrocious. I signed the CC slip w/o looking
at the price. $67 for two 5-paks of 120! (Velvia 100 and E100G).
Thankfully I had brought another 10 rolls or with me.

I guess that's the K$S store.

[...]

I took my exposed film in to K&S as well. $6.00 / roll, uncut.

I asked how much for 15 rolls, strip cut, sleeved and mailed to Montreal.

The lady's attitude was not: "let's see ...", but "We don't cut film."

U-turned out of there ... guess that's why some people call K&S "Keep it
and Shove it."

Still, glad I went there overall. But I would recommend that people in
the area shop carefully. They are not the best value and are in some
cases a bit arrogant and rude.

Your experience jibes with reality. I used to live in Palo Alto
(actually East Palo Alto, which is actually in a different county from
Palo Alto and is one of the poorest cities on the Peninsula, compared to
affluent Palo Alto), used to shop (very infrequently) at K & S, and got
exactly the same read as you. Sky-high prices, for the most part. Lots
of great stuff to drool over, if you're into that. And the ultimate snob
attitude, which seems to come with the territory (what we used to call
"Shallow Alto"[1]).

I'm disappointed you didn't stop in at Kaufmann's in San Mateo. If they
had the film you'd wanted, you would have paid a *lot* less for it there.

[1] Reminds me of an amusing incident years ago, where dowdy Redwood
City up the road a bit from Palo Alto put up a big billboard along
Highway 101 that offended lots of Shallow Altans. It read "Redwood City:
Palo Alto without the attitude!".

It drags itself out of the dark abyss of pish, and crawls insanely up
the topmost pinnacle of posh. It is rumble and bumble. It is flap and
doodle. It is balder and dash."

- With apologies to H. L. Mencken
Old August 10th 08, 05:47 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Alan Browne

Lawrence Akutagawa wrote:
Alan -

May I strongly suggest that you forward this post of yours to the K&S folks?

I've been mulling that over.

May I suggest that you snip posts in the future?

Cheers,
Alan

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old August 10th 08, 06:20 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
SMS

Alan Browne wrote:

When I brought the lens back I warned them that it had gotten a lot of
dust on the trails and told them to vacuum the surfaces to get the dust
out of the cracks. They said they'd get it cleaned. Can't see how
they'd make a profit on me (unless they have in-house cleaning).

They do have in-house cleaning.

Still, glad I went there overall. But I would recommend that people in
the area shop carefully. They are not the best value and are in some
cases a bit arrogant and rude.

Yeah, I've bought stuff there, but sometimes it's difficult. They have a
big sale once a year, but when you go in to get something, if you can
tear the employees away from their gabfest with the manufacturer's rep,
you find they're out of stock.
Old August 10th 08, 06:22 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
SMS

David Nebenzahl wrote:

[1] Reminds me of an amusing incident years ago, where dowdy Redwood
City up the road a bit from Palo Alto put up a big billboard along
Highway 101 that offended lots of Shallow Altans. It read "Redwood City:
Palo Alto without the attitude!".

Plus Deadwood City still has their "Climate Best By Government Test"
sign up.