Black and white portrait black bg

Old February 6th 07, 02:42 PM posted to rec.photo.technique.people
beeo

Default Black and white portrait black bg

Hi

I would like to have a portrait like this photo
http://www.danskfotografi.dk/media/b...rtraetfoto.jpg on my
website. It's black and white, with a black background but how is it
done?
Photoshop?

Tia for any hints or links

Old February 6th 07, 03:16 PM posted to rec.photo.technique.people
Randall Ainsworth

In article .com,
beeo wrote:

Well, it's awful portraiture. It's an attempt to recreate the old
character portraits of the 30s, 40s, and early 50s. But it belies the
single light principle. There should only be one main light source.
Old February 7th 07, 12:23 PM posted to rec.photo.technique.people
[email protected]

On Tue, 06 Feb 2007 06:16:32 -0800, Randall Ainsworth
wrote:

In article .com,
beeo wrote:

Well, it's awful portraiture. It's an attempt to recreate the old
character portraits of the 30s, 40s, and early 50s. But it belies the
single light principle. There should only be one main light source.

Why?
Old February 7th 07, 01:56 PM posted to rec.photo.technique.people
Randall Ainsworth

Why?

Because outside we only have one sun, and the practice through the
years has been to somewhat emulate that effect. Now, the photograph
that was linked to could be said to be using accent lighting. Still, it
is not flattering in most cases to use what's called balloon lighting
(as per the linked example).
Old February 9th 07, 07:12 PM posted to rec.photo.technique.people
Karl Winkler

On Feb 6, 6:42 am, "beeo" wrote:
Hi

I would like to have a portrait like this photohttp://www.danskfotografi.dk/media/billeder/portraetfoto.jpgon my
website. It's black and white, with a black background but how is it
done?
Photoshop?

Tia for any hints or links

That's not such a great photo, but think I understand what you are
asking. I doubt it was created in photoshop. Basically, the subject is
lit while in a dark room against a dark background. And by controlling
the spill of the lights, the subject is the only thing lit.

I did a self-portrait a few years ago with a similar approach he

http://www.karlwinkler.com/Philosophy.html

I used two lights (as did the photographer who did the picture in your
link) one main light to my right, and one spot to my left, above and
behind me (to give definition against the dark background). Part of
the key to this kind of approach is to position the lights and use
specific kinds of light modifiers to A) avoid spill to the background
areas, B) light the subject appropriately and C) give enough edge
definition to separate the subject from the background. One of the
best of this style I've seen done recently was a photo of Mickey
Rourke in Rolling Stone magazine a few years ago.

Hope this helps.

-Karl