Share beauties of Canadian Rockies

Old October 22nd 03, 01:56 AM
PWW

Default Share beauties of Canadian Rockies

Do you use Adobe Photoshop?

--
PWW (Paul Wayne Wilson)
Over 1,000 Photographs Online at,

On 10/21/03 8:46 PM, in article ,
"Carole" wrote:

I'll have to look into watermarking. I've never done it, but I'm sure
there has to be some place on the web where you can learn how to do this?

PWW wrote:
All those special ways to stop copying just doesn't work very well. It seems
that there are ways around all of them. That is why I recommend putting a
visible watermark on each and every image I put on the web. And use a lower
resolution image of not to big of size. I just figure that I have to get my
images out in front of clients and and accept a few thefts from my lower
rez, smaller watermarked images might make them think twice about taking my
images without my permission. I will still go after every single copyright
infringement that I can.

Old October 22nd 03, 04:31 AM
Phil Stripling

Carole writes:

Just wondering....I just added a photo section to my website. I put a
"no right click" javascript on all the photo pages with a friendly kind
of message that says it you would like a copy to contact me Is that
enough to stop people from stealing my photos? I know about Digimarc,
but I'm not working at present, so $$ are rather tight.

Post the URL of your site, and I'll post copies I've made of the photos. I
am sorry to say that I have a one-button mouse, so right click and wrong
click don't work for me. And yes, Digimarc is very expensive -- not aimed
at good amateurs or solo pros.

What does everyone else do to protect their work, but also get it out
there for people to see?

The sad fact is that if it is on the Web it can't _really_ be protected. I
include a copyright notice in each photo, but my stuff is still stolen and
used on other sites. Use low resolution photos, put a copyright notice in
each photo, and provide a link somewhere on your photo pages to a page on
your site where people can easily get information on how to license the use
of your photos. Low res photos will prevent people from making quality
prints, but my experience is that people want photos for their Web sites,
so they don't care too much about quality. Note that this is my experience
with my travel site; I'm not a pro and don't have professional quality
images on the Web.
Old October 22nd 03, 04:55 AM
Carole

Yes, I have 5.0. Someday when I have money I'll get the new one ))

PWW wrote:
Do you use Adobe Photoshop?

Old October 22nd 03, 11:00 AM
PWW

That might be to old for me to comment on. I am sure you can still do it
with PS 5.0 but it might be one photo at a time. With PS 7.0 I know you can
make a droplet and watermark a whole folder of photos at once.

The basic way I do it is. I make all my photos the same dimensions. With the
only difference being Vert or Horiz. Then I open 1 photo with the smallest
edge, (bottom of a Vert being the smallest edge) and make a layer with my
watermark. I then size it, place it and tweak it (opacity), to the effect I
want. I save this file as a PS file and named it 400pxl PSF template. That
way I can open it when ever I want. I then go to the layer that has the
watermark and select all and do a "copy". That saves the watermark in the
clipboard (on a Mac, I am sure Windows has a similar function). From then on
as long as you do not "copy" anything else. You can open any of the Photos
you are ready have sized correctly and do a "paste". And viola. The
watermark is on that one. Save and do the next one. And so on.

With a "droplet" you can make PS actions to do all this for you
automatically. But I do not know if PS 5.0 has that capability.

Hope that helps some.
--
PWW (Paul Wayne Wilson)
Over 1,000 Photographs Online at,
http://PhotoStockFile.com

On 10/21/03 11:55 PM, in article
, "Carole"
wrote:

Yes, I have 5.0. Someday when I have money I'll get the new one ))

PWW wrote:
Do you use Adobe Photoshop?

Old October 22nd 03, 05:06 PM
Jim

Not realy. If they have any browser savoy they can 1) grab it from
cach 2) disable javascript 30 use an old browser.

Having said that, I would guess that 90%+ of the uses buy a PC and use
what's been pre-loaded. So for these casual users it is effective.

Jim

* Check-out my web site at: http://SwensonStudio.com *
* landscape and travel photographs, featuring sunsets *

Carole wrote in message ...
Just wondering....I just added a photo section to my website. I put a
"no right click" javascript on all the photo pages with a friendly kind
of message that says it you would like a copy to contact me Is that
enough to stop people from stealing my photos? I know about Digimarc,
but I'm not working at present, so $$ are rather tight.

What does everyone else do to protect their work, but also get it out
there for people to see?

ralford wrote:
Question - is there any "value" to reduced sized web photos? Certainly a
print couldn't be made of any commercial value, IMHO.

Also, with respect, I find your (PWW) copyright across the heart of the
picture very distracting.

Cheers,

rma

"PWW" wrote in message

You have some nice images in there. I might make them smaller, and easier

see.

I would also recommend putting a some sort of visible watermark on your
images otherwise they might end up in someone elsešs portfolio.

--
PWW (Paul Wayne Wilson)
Over 1,000 Photographs Online at,
http://PhotoStockFile.com

On 10/19/03 11:41 PM, in article , "Shu"
wrote:

Sept 2- - Oct 4, 2003, I hiked in Canadian Rockies for two weeks.
Now the photo web for my hiking trip is up on-line.
You are cordially invited to visit the new photo gallery. Hope you will
enjoy the beauties of Canadian Rockies.

http://128.111.124.127/ssr/CanadaRockies.htm

Ronald

Old October 22nd 03, 05:57 PM
Jim

The software (shareware) that I looked at was picture-shark. You can
down load it from download.com. It will watermark images a directory
at a time. You can also do it in PS, but I think it only does one
image at a time. When you have a lot of images the directory feature
is a must.

Old October 22nd 03, 08:49 PM
Carole

Thanks Paul, I'll give it a try. As soon as I find a job and get caught
up, PS 7.0 is on my wish list. I went to a Photoshop seminar for
photographers last summer and was really impressed with the things I saw

Old October 22nd 03, 10:37 PM
Liz

In message
Carole wrote:

Just wondering....I just added a photo section to my website. I put a
"no right click" javascript on all the photo pages with a friendly kind
of message that says it you would like a copy to contact me Is that
enough to stop people from stealing my photos?

No.
On RiscOS, we save with the middle button, so that doesn't work at all.

Liz

--
Virtual Liz at http://www.v-liz.co.uk
Kenya; Tanzania; India; Seychelles
Old October 29th 03, 09:05 PM
Jim Hutchison

Beautiful pictures; quite stunning.

Your guest book is broke....

jim h

http://www.jamesphotography.ca

More than photographs: free downloads, prizes, a bit of humour...