Aperture indication in Contax camera with Yashica lens 24mm/2.8

Old June 13th 06, 11:04 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

Default Aperture indication in Contax camera with Yashica lens 24mm/2.8

I just bought a 24mm/2.8 Yashica lens and put on my RTSII
Contax camera.
Although the maximum aperture of the lens is 2.8, in the
viewfinder is indicated the aperture 1.4
If I turn the aperture-ring on the lens to 16 (minimum) , in
the camerea then is indicated 8. So also two stops less
then on the lens. Is the lense faulty? How can I fix this?

Kind regards, Peter Janssen

Old June 15th 06, 10:10 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

Peter Janssen wrote:
I just bought a 24mm/2.8 Yashica lens and put on my RTSII
Contax camera.
Although the maximum aperture of the lens is 2.8, in the
viewfinder is indicated the aperture 1.4
If I turn the aperture-ring on the lens to 16 (minimum) , in
the camerea then is indicated 8. So also two stops less
then on the lens. Is the lense faulty? How can I fix this?

Kind regards, Peter Janssen

Hi Peter,
Take a look at the rear of the lens and you should see a metal lug,
normally held on by two screws. This sets the camera's open aperture
setting, so that closing the lens closes from that setting. The screw
holes are elongated to allow adjustment and it sounds to me like they
are out by quite a way. If you see what I have described, then all you
have to do is loosen the screws, move the metal lug along a bit
(anticlockwise as you look at it, if memory serves me) and tighten them
up again. With a little trial and error you can get it just right.
If, however, you look and say "what metal lug?" it may be that it's
missing completely. If it is, you should see two small screws or screw
holes close together, where the black metal plate is held to the lens
body, around the rear glass element.
All this is from memory, as all my C/Y gear is now gone, but I hope it
helps.
Mark

Old June 15th 06, 10:48 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

One thing I should have added is that it doesn't affect the operation -
metering and everything will be fine, only the aperture display is
wrong.
Mark

Old June 15th 06, 11:21 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

On 15 Jun 2006 14:48:02 -0700, "Mark" wrote:

One thing I should have added is that it doesn't affect the operation -
metering and everything will be fine, only the aperture display is
wrong.
Mark

Thanks for your clear answer.

Kind regards,