which 35mm cameras used real prisms?

Old August 2nd 06, 01:37 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
joe mama

Default which 35mm cameras used real prisms?

i know the nikon Fs did, but what about the older Pentax line? Specifically
the Spotmatics?

thanks....

Old August 2nd 06, 02:06 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Bandicoot

"joe mama" wrote in message
i know the nikon Fs did, but what about the older Pentax line?
Specifically the Spotmatics?

Very few SLRs until very recently used other than a 'proper' pentaprism.
Certainly all the Spotmatics did - as did all Pentaxes I can think of
subsequently. I hear that maybe the new K100D uses a 'pentamirror', in
which case that's the first Pentax I know of to use such an abomination:
let's hope it's also the last to do so!

Peter

Old August 2nd 06, 12:18 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
jeremy

"Bandicoot" wrote in message
"joe mama" wrote in message
i know the nikon Fs did, but what about the older Pentax line?
Specifically the Spotmatics?

Very few SLRs until very recently used other than a 'proper' pentaprism.
Certainly all the Spotmatics did - as did all Pentaxes I can think of
subsequently. I hear that maybe the new K100D uses a 'pentamirror', in
which case that's the first Pentax I know of to use such an abomination:
let's hope it's also the last to do so!

Peter

Did the programmable line use real prisms, specifically the P3/P3n/P30/P30t
??? I have a few models from that line and I have wondered about that.
Couldn't find anything in the literature that disclosed that information.

Old August 2nd 06, 03:02 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Warren B. Hapke

Bandicoot wrote:
: ...
:

: Very few SLRs until very recently used other than a 'proper' pentaprism.
: Certainly all the Spotmatics did - as did all Pentaxes I can think of
: subsequently. I hear that maybe the new K100D uses a 'pentamirror', in
: which case that's the first Pentax I know of to use such an abomination:
: let's hope it's also the last to do so!

The Pentax ZX-M (MZ-M in Europe) uses a pentamirror, and several of
the lower-end ZX/MZ autofocus film bodies also use pentamirrors. I
have a ZX-M, and the view finder is fairly bright, but at the cost of
relatively low magnification. I can focus it accurately (and I'm in
my 50s), but it's not nearly as nice as the viewfinders in my MX and Super
Program cameras, which have real pentaprisms.

Warren B. Hapke

: Peter

Old August 2nd 06, 03:05 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Scott Schuckert

In article 3S%zg.7713$oz.4208@trnddc07, jeremy
wrote:

Did the programmable line use real prisms, specifically the P3/P3n/P30/P30t
??? I have a few models from that line and I have wondered about that.
Couldn't find anything in the literature that disclosed that information.

It's really like pulling teeth to get the manufacturers to admit the
use of "pentamirrors" Even with a factory rep, in person, at a show I
kept getting evasions. This puts me off - if they just said "Yes, it's
not a solid pentaprism, but this way it's 3 oz lighter and $30 cheaper"
that would be OK.

Why does it matter? Because a real prisim is BETTER, especially if
you're focusing visually, and in my opinion worth the difference in
cost and weight. It's quite striking to compare two similar cameras
(but with and without this compromise) side-by-side.

But the manufacturers would prefer to have you believe their camera is
just magically cheaper and lighter, to have a competitive advantage.
It's only after you own the thing the darker and slightly distorted
viewfinder begins to bother you - but they've already cashed your
check...
Old August 2nd 06, 06:01 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Drew Saunders

In article ,
Scott Schuckert wrote:

It's really like pulling teeth to get the manufacturers to admit the
use of "pentamirrors" Even with a factory rep, in person, at a show I
kept getting evasions. This puts me off - if they just said "Yes, it's
not a solid pentaprism, but this way it's 3 oz lighter and $30 cheaper"
that would be OK.

Mamiya uses mirrors in the 645E and the AE Reflex finder for the
645ProTL (same finder, the 645E just has a non-interchangeable finder).
I know the question is about 35mm, but at least Mamiya fesses up to
using mirrors, provided you know that "reflex" refers to a mirror. I
have a 645E and the mirror finder works well enough. Looking at the
stats for the 645 Pro TL finders, the Reflex is 9.7 oz and the AE Prism
is 11.5 oz. Strangely enough, the Reflex costs more than the AE prism at
B&H.

See http://www.mamiya.com/cameras.asp?id=1&id2=30 and
http://www.mamiya.com/cameras.asp?id=1&id2=21

Drew

--
Drew W. Saunders

dru (at) stanford (dot) eee dee you
Old August 2nd 06, 06:07 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
jeremy

"joe mama" wrote in message
i know the nikon Fs did, but what about the older Pentax line? Specifically
the Spotmatics?

thanks....

Having limited my SLR shooting to Pentax M42 all these years, I only
recently learned that some cameras did not have real prisms!

Mike Johnston had an informative article on this:

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/co...03-03-16.shtml

Old August 2nd 06, 07:43 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Jim

"jeremy" wrote in message

"joe mama" wrote in message
i know the nikon Fs did, but what about the older Pentax line?
Specifically the Spotmatics?

thanks....

Having limited my SLR shooting to Pentax M42 all these years, I only
recently learned that some cameras did not have real prisms!

Mike Johnston had an informative article on this:

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/co...03-03-16.shtml

The cheaper Canon and Nikon cameras used the so called penta mirror to save
cost and weight. Such an arrangement is not as bright as a pentaprism.

Jim

Old August 2nd 06, 09:25 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
jeremy

"Jim" wrote in message
.. .

"joe mama" wrote in message
i know the nikon Fs did, but what about the older Pentax line?
Specifically the Spotmatics?

thanks....

Having limited my SLR shooting to Pentax M42 all these years, I only
recently learned that some cameras did not have real prisms!

Mike Johnston had an informative article on this:

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/co...03-03-16.shtml

The cheaper Canon and Nikon cameras used the so called penta mirror to
save cost and weight. Such an arrangement is not as bright as a
pentaprism.

Jim

True, but they had the advantage of no mirror slap.

Old August 2nd 06, 10:20 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Mark Roberts

jeremy wrote:

"Jim" wrote in message
. ..

The cheaper Canon and Nikon cameras used the so called penta mirror to
save cost and weight. Such an arrangement is not as bright as a
pentaprism.

True, but they had the advantage of no mirror slap.

Um, no. Pentamirror cameras have just as much mirror slap as
pentaprism cameras. (And it often sounds nastier - and upsets
sharpness more - because the lower mass of the camera body absorbs
less.)

--
Mark Roberts Photography & Multimedia
www.robertstech.com