Apple makes Macs run Windows XP -

Old April 6th 06, 04:46 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Default Apple makes Macs run Windows XP -

"bmoag" wrote in message
. com...
Even Dvorak has predicted Apple will switch to XP or Vista.
I personally think Apple is finally exiting the computer business, which
everyone thought happened 10 years ago. At 4% market share Apple is hardly
a raisin on a pie chart.

4% of the world market is huge business nonetheless.

Old April 6th 06, 06:20 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

bmoag wrote:

Even Dvorak has predicted Apple will switch to XP or Vista.
I personally think Apple is finally exiting the computer business,
which everyone thought happened 10 years ago. At 4% market share
Apple is hardly a raisin on a pie chart. And Apple is likely to lose
the suit brought against it by Apple Corp in England, which will have
worldwide repercussions for its sole remaining viable business,
Itunes/Ipod. The French also want to gut Itunes. Ipod/Itunes could
lose control of the entire European market which is larger than the
US market. Do you have Apple Computer stock in your portfolio? Not
even Apple is publishing software for its new Mactel OS and few, if
any, peripheral manufacturers are writing drivers for the Mactel OS.
This is not a flame: You have to be naive or stupid at this point to
buy one of the Mactel boxes and think you can get useful work out of
it. Apple is hardly even advertising the things anymore. You are
getting mediocre Intel hardware at an inflated Apple price with the
Apple warranty that is worse than most no-name pc clone providers
give. There is no useful software for that OS and almost no drivers
for existing or new peripherals. Existing Apple OS programs run via
an incredibly lame kludge. Apple should be where Microsoft is now
but Steve Jobs has to be considered one of the dumbest f*iug
businessman of all time for not opening up the platform the way
Microsoft and Intel did and for not switching to the x86 CPU years
ago. Its a wonder shareholders did not sue him and the Pepsi Cola guy
that followed Jobs for gross mismanagement of what should have been
one of the most valuable corporate assets of all time.

Troll-O-Meter Rating: 1.9/10 You've gotta do better.

--
Albert Nurick | Nurick + Associates - Web Design
www.nurick.com | Web Applications - Hosting
Old April 6th 06, 07:12 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Stan Horwitz wrote:
In article ,
"bmoag" wrote:

Even Dvorak has predicted Apple will switch to XP or Vista.

Dvorak makes lots of predictions and who knows, one of them may actually
prove to be true, but that prediction is not one of them. Dvorak works
in the mode where if he throws enough **** against his office wall, some
of it may eventually stick.

I personally think Apple is finally exiting the computer business, which
everyone thought happened 10 years ago. At 4% market share Apple is hardly a
raisin on a pie chart.

Yawn! The reality is, Apple's finances are the envy of all the other
computer manufacturers, and its been that way even before Apple entered
the mp3 player market.

And Apple is likely to lose the suit brought against it by Apple Corp in
England, which will have worldwide repercussions for its sole remaining
viable business, Itunes/Ipod. The French also want to gut Itunes.
Ipod/Itunes could lose control of the entire European market which is larger
than the US market.

The writing is on the wall. One of two things will happen. Apple (the
computer company) will win or lose that litigation. If Apple (the
computer company) loses, I am sure the two Apple companies will simply
strike some kind of license agreement where money will change hands and
life will go on for all concerned.

Do you have Apple Computer stock in your portfolio?

Not me. I work in the computer field, but I refuse to invest my money in
it. I do know some people who have invested in Apple (the computer
company). In deference to them, I watch Apple's stock price. Note that
since yesterday when this news about Boot Camp came out, Apple's share
price rose. Only time will tell if the price continues to rise.

Not even Apple is publishing software for its new Mactel OS and few, if any,
peripheral manufacturers are writing drivers for the Mactel OS.

That's simply not true. Go to http://www.apple.com and you can see tons
of software that Apple is publishing for its OS. I own some Apple
software such as iPhoto and iWork and it works fine on my new Intel-based
Mac.

This is not a flame: You have to be naive or stupid at this point to buy one
of the Mactel boxes and think you can get useful work out of it.

Not so. With a Mac, you now get the best of both worlds. You get Apple's
first rate customer service, its amazing OS, and the option to run
Windows XP. I am hard pressed to see anything bad about that situation.
Than again, I traffic in facts, which you seem to avoid.

Apple is hardly even advertising the things anymore. You are getting mediocre Intel
hardware at an inflated Apple price with the Apple warranty that is worse
than most no-name pc clone providers give. There is no useful software for
that OS and almost no drivers for existing or new peripherals. Existing
Apple OS programs run via an incredibly lame kludge.

Again, wrong, but you have already shown that you have no clue about what
you are talking about.

I agree with everything you said, except about Apple's finances being
the envy of other computer companies. Please don't tell me that Dell
envies Apple's financial status, because if they do, then they are
insane. That would be like Microsoft envying Adobe.
Old April 6th 06, 07:17 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

In article ,
Stan Horwitz wrote:

One of two things will happen. Apple (the
computer company) will win or lose that litigation. If Apple (the
computer company) loses, I am sure the two Apple companies will simply
strike some kind of license agreement where money will change hands and
life will go on for all concerned.

Some interesting reading:
http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2006/04...pple_week_two/

Lourens
Old April 6th 06, 07:37 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Bad news for Windows users, bad news for Mac users, bad news for everyone.
Why? Simple. If Apple switches to Windows, and eventually stops developing
their own OS, then OS innovation will stop. You think MS will innovate?
Right. Once there's no real competition for Windows, MS will tighten their
EULA and raise prices. Why? Why not? Once Apple users start running Windows,
what private developers will write for the Mac OS? Why write for 5% of the
market when you can write for 100%? Again, innovation will shut down. Bad
news all around...

wrote in message
news

Interesting topic.....

Discussion on!!!!!

Just dying to see all you ms/apple freaks go nuts lol

http://www.usenet.com

Old April 6th 06, 07:41 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

"bmoag" wrote in message
. com...
Even Dvorak has predicted Apple will switch to XP or Vista.
I personally think Apple is finally exiting the computer business, which
everyone thought happened 10 years ago. At 4% market share Apple is hardly
a raisin on a pie chart.

Dvorak also predicted that on-line shopping would never fly. He's a wave
riding moron who knows nothing.

And Apple is likely to lose the suit brought against it by Apple Corp in
England, which will have worldwide repercussions for its sole remaining
viable business, Itunes/Ipod. The French also want to gut Itunes.
Ipod/Itunes could lose control of the entire European market which is
larger than the US market.
Do you have Apple Computer stock in your portfolio?

I wish. Have you tracked their performance lately? Did you see the market
reaction to the XP on Mac announcement?

Not even Apple is publishing software for its new Mactel OS and few, if
any, peripheral manufacturers are writing drivers for the Mactel OS.
This is not a flame: You have to be naive or stupid at this point to buy
one of the Mactel boxes and think you can get useful work out of it.

Ever try to do color pre-press work on a WinTel box? Don't waste your time.
And I mean WASTE!

Apple is
hardly even advertising the things anymore. You are getting mediocre Intel
hardware at an inflated Apple price with the Apple warranty that is worse
than most no-name pc clone providers give. There is no useful software for
that OS and almost no drivers for existing or new peripherals. Existing
Apple OS programs run via an incredibly lame kludge.

Right. What do Pagemaker, Photoshop, Powerpoint, Word, Excel, and numerous
others have in common? Right, they started on the Mac.

Apple should be where Microsoft is now but Steve Jobs has to be considered
one of the dumbest f*iug businessman of all time for not opening up the
platform the way Microsoft and Intel did and for not switching to the x86
CPU years ago. Its a wonder shareholders did not sue him and the Pepsi
Cola guy that followed Jobs for gross mismanagement of what should have
been one of the most valuable corporate assets of all time.

Here again, you need a reality check. Apple is doing great!

Old April 6th 06, 07:56 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

In article ,
"Kinon O'Cann" wrote:

Bad news for Windows users, bad news for Mac users, bad news for everyone.
Why? Simple. If Apple switches to Windows, and eventually stops developing
their own OS, then OS innovation will stop.

That's a pretty sweeping assumption. Why would Apple stop developing
OSX? Next thing you'll claim is that Pepsi are doomed because they might
stop making flavoured sugar-water.

You think MS will innovate?
Right. Once there's no real competition for Windows, MS will tighten their
EULA and raise prices. Why? Why not? Once Apple users start running Windows,
what private developers will write for the Mac OS? Why write for 5% of the
market when you can write for 100%? Again, innovation will shut down. Bad
news all around...

Developers can write for both platforms simultaneously with Apples SW
now. Why refrain for compiling for both?

I can't see many Mac owners actually installing XP. Simple as it is, the
process is still too complex for most people and besides, XP is friggin'
expensive to buy.

--
~Dibley
Old April 6th 06, 10:13 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Bumper wrote:
In my thirty years of photography and twenty years of computers I don't
believe I have ever read anything from anybody who knew less on a
subject and was hell bent on proving it.

bmoag wrote:

Even Dvorak has predicted Apple will switch to XP or Vista.
I personally think Apple is finally exiting the computer business, which
everyone thought happened 10 years ago.

"Even" Dvorak?? Dvorak has been predicting doom for Apple for longer
than bmoag has been whingeing about the company.

Apple has hardly "switched" to XP, for one. The other "arguements" have
been refuted by me and others several times over the years.

For two, tell us how many shares of Apple you are willing to short?

Three: Can you please keep this to the Mac or Windows NGs?

--
John McWilliams
Old April 7th 06, 03:27 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

bmoag wrote:
Even Dvorak has predicted Apple will switch to XP or Vista.
I personally think Apple is finally exiting the computer business, which
everyone thought happened 10 years ago. At 4% market share Apple is hardly a
raisin on a pie chart.

And yet, BMW and Mercedes combined to not have that much market
share... Should they go out of business, too?

And Apple is likely to lose the suit brought against it by Apple Corp in
England, which will have worldwide repercussions for its sole remaining
viable business, Itunes/Ipod. The French also want to gut Itunes.

The French are not finished with Microsoft, though.

Ipod/Itunes could lose control of the entire European market which is larger
than the US market.
Do you have Apple Computer stock in your portfolio?
Not even Apple is publishing software for its new Mactel OS and few, if any,
peripheral manufacturers are writing drivers for the Mactel OS.

You mean software like Aperture, iLife, etc.?

As for peripherals, I suppose you have a long list of those will not
run on a Mac? No?

This is not a flame: You have to be naive or stupid at this point to buy one
of the Mactel boxes and think you can get useful work out of it. Apple is
hardly even advertising the things anymore. You are getting mediocre Intel
hardware at an inflated Apple price with the Apple warranty that is worse
than most no-name pc clone providers give. There is no useful software for
that OS and almost no drivers for existing or new peripherals. Existing
Apple OS programs run via an incredibly lame kludge.

You are right, it is not a flame. It is a troll and displays profound
ignorance.

Apple should be where Microsoft is now but Steve Jobs has to be considered
one of the dumbest f*iug businessman of all time for not opening up the
platform the way Microsoft and Intel did and for not switching to the x86
CPU years ago. Its a wonder shareholders did not sue him and the Pepsi Cola
guy that followed Jobs for gross mismanagement of what should have been one
of the most valuable corporate assets of all time.

Um, let's see: an architecture that will run both Windows and OS X is
"closed," but one that runs only Windows is "open." I suppose black is
white, too.

Old April 7th 06, 05:45 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

cjcampbell wrote:

bmoag wrote:
Even Dvorak has predicted Apple will switch to XP or Vista.
I personally think Apple is finally exiting the computer business, which
everyone thought happened 10 years ago. At 4% market share Apple is
hardly a raisin on a pie chart.

And yet, BMW and Mercedes combined to not have that much market
share... Should they go out of business, too?

First, Mercedes is not an automobile manufacturer, Mercedes is a brand name
of Daimler-Chrysler, which is one of the "big three". Next, BMW is a niche
player, they know they're a niche player, and they don't pretend that
they're going to knock GM out of the market.

And Apple is likely to lose the suit brought against it by Apple Corp in
England, which will have worldwide repercussions for its sole remaining
viable business, Itunes/Ipod. The French also want to gut Itunes.

The French are not finished with Microsoft, though.

And if Microsoft loses the entire French market, well, who cares? Apple and
the French deserve each other.

Ipod/Itunes could lose control of the entire European market which is
larger than the US market.
Do you have Apple Computer stock in your portfolio?
Not even Apple is publishing software for its new Mactel OS and few, if
any, peripheral manufacturers are writing drivers for the Mactel OS.

You mean software like Aperture, iLife, etc.?

Are they publishing software that runs natively on the Intel hardware?

As for peripherals, I suppose you have a long list of those will not
run on a Mac? No?

Have you list of that that will?

This is not a flame: You have to be naive or stupid at this point to buy
one of the Mactel boxes and think you can get useful work out of it.
Apple is hardly even advertising the things anymore. You are getting
mediocre Intel hardware at an inflated Apple price with the Apple
warranty that is worse than most no-name pc clone providers give. There
is no useful software for that OS and almost no drivers for existing or
new peripherals. Existing Apple OS programs run via an incredibly lame
kludge.

You are right, it is not a flame. It is a troll and displays profound
ignorance.

Pot, kettle.

Apple should be where Microsoft is now but Steve Jobs has to be
considered one of the dumbest f*iug businessman of all time for not
opening up the platform the way Microsoft and Intel did and for not
switching to the x86 CPU years ago. Its a wonder shareholders did not sue
him and the Pepsi Cola guy that followed Jobs for gross mismanagement of
what should have been one of the most valuable corporate assets of all
time.

Um, let's see: an architecture that will run both Windows and OS X is
"closed," but one that runs only Windows is "open." I suppose black is
white, too.

Well, let's see, that "innovative open architecture" is just a bunch of
chips bought from Intel. And the only reason that a standard PC won't run
OS/X is that Jobs has chosen to bugger the OS so that it won't boot from a
standard BIOS. Good try at spin-doctoring, but no cigar.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate