External Flash sync

Old April 9th 06, 09:23 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Default External Flash sync

Hi folks, are there any digital cameras out there for ordinary
amateurs {as opposed to rich professionals} that have an external
flash socket? I have a fairly reasonable, even if dated, studio flash
set-up which i would like to be able to use with didital cmeras as my
35mm film cameras are coming to the end of their useful life. Any
(reasonable) suggestions would be welcome.

TIA

Ant.
Old April 9th 06, 09:49 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Ant wrote:
Hi folks, are there any digital cameras out there for ordinary
amateurs {as opposed to rich professionals} that have an external
flash socket? I have a fairly reasonable, even if dated, studio flash
set-up which i would like to be able to use with didital cmeras as my
35mm film cameras are coming to the end of their useful life. Any
(reasonable) suggestions would be welcome.

TIA

Ant.

You need to check the "trigger voltage" of your studio flash as anything
over 12 volts can severely damage a digital camera. Some flashes have
trigger voltages as high as 600 volts. Charge up the unit and measure the
voltage across the contacts at the cable end or at the hotshoe contacts.

Old April 9th 06, 10:26 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

On Sun, 09 Apr 2006 20:23:40 GMT, Ant wrote:

Hi folks, are there any digital cameras out there for ordinary
amateurs {as opposed to rich professionals} that have an external
flash socket? I have a fairly reasonable, even if dated, studio flash
set-up which i would like to be able to use with didital cmeras as my
35mm film cameras are coming to the end of their useful life. Any
(reasonable) suggestions would be welcome.

TIA

Ant.

If the trigger voltage is OK you can get a hotshoe to sync cable
converter. Allternatively stick a bit of IR film over the camera
flash and use the IR flash to trigger a slave adaptor with sync
socket. Works well for me.
John Wilson

Remove characters from e-mail address to reply
www.yachtsnet.co.uk - full service online yacht
brokerage with full details and multiple photos
of all boats. Free classified adverts for small
boats and genuinely useful marine links.

Old April 10th 06, 05:41 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

On Sun, 09 Apr 2006 20:23:40 GMT, Ant wrote:

Hi folks, are there any digital cameras out there for ordinary
amateurs {as opposed to rich professionals} that have an
external flash socket?

Not too many with a socket, but there are numerous P&S cameras
from manufacturers such as Canon, Fuji, Panasonic, Sony, Olympus,
Kodak and others that have a hot shoe that would allow you to easily
use your studio flash. And you wouldn't even need a hotshoe if you
get a slave module to trigger the studio flash, but you'd probably
want to get one that allows preflashes to be filtered out.

Old April 10th 06, 12:32 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Ant writes:
Hi folks, are there any digital cameras out there for ordinary
amateurs {as opposed to rich professionals} that have an external
flash socket? I have a fairly reasonable, even if dated, studio
flash set-up which i would like to be able to use with didital
cmeras as my 35mm film cameras are coming to the end of their useful
life. Any (reasonable) suggestions would be welcome.

Every DSLR I know of come with a hot-shoe. I use a cheap $30 radio
slave in the hot-shoe to trigger external flashes. This removes any
worries about high studio flash trigger voltages that some claim can
damage a DSLR.

Here is my write up cheap radio slaves:
http://hannemyr.com/photo/gt301b.html
Sigma SD10, Kodak DCS460, Canon Powershot G5, Olympus 2020Z