where to process my 35mm film in N. Virginia/Fairfax?

Old March 26th 06, 05:22 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

Default where to process my 35mm film in N. Virginia/Fairfax?

It's been a few years since I last used my Contax 35mm film camera. One day
I took the camera out and shot a 24exp roll in one hour.

Was expecting that my good old camera will give the excitement again but I
was so disappointed.

Not because the camera or film is bad, it was the RitzCamera who screwed up
my precious moment.
While taking my film processing order, they suggested an add on
service--burn the pictures on CD. I took that and believed it makes perfect
sense to keep a digital copy as well.

Guess what, they scanned my film into super low resolution (around 200K per
picture I remember) digital image and then print my pictures from there.
That is a joke, why would I leave my 7MP digital camera at home and took
pictures with film camera but eventually got the result of 1.2MP quality
"digital" picture?

Maybe I have not been to today's camera store for too long and not knowing
the way of processing these days...

Where can I find someone who knows what is a film to process my stuff in N.
Virginia/Fairfax?
I really like to give my good old buddy--RTS III some exercises.

Thank you for sharing your experiences.

Old March 26th 06, 07:19 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

"harry" wrote in message
[...]

If you still have the film, you can have it scanned again, or buy a scanner
and scan it again yourself. I am 70, and I have a lifetime of saved
film....I wonder how many young photographers today will feel that way when
they are 70, and are looking back on a "lifetime" of digital images?

Old March 26th 06, 07:31 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

For this roll of film, yes, I can scan it.
What I am looking for is someone recommended by the NG to process my future
film/print processing.
Or I should totally forget about using 35mm from now?

Old March 26th 06, 08:34 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

"harry" wrote in message

Where can I find someone who knows what is a film to process my stuff in
N. Virginia/Fairfax?

Do try out Dale Labs www.dalelabs.com

I've used them for over 3 decades, and their processing is top shelf. They
will still make OPTICAL prints, using $10,000 enlarging lenses, and they
video analyze each print. Popular Photography listed them as one of the ten
best photo labs in America.

They are amateur-friendly. You do not have to be a volume shooter or a
professional to use them, and I cannot think of a single order that they
ever handled for me that was unsatisfactory.

They are located in Florida and they are oriented toward mail-orders. This
is the kind of lab that you won't find just anywhere--but if you can put up
with the additional time your film is in transit I believe that you will be
very happy with what you get back.

The wrong photofinisher can negate all the good you have done by using
first-class lenses and excellent technique. And the quality of the
enlarging lens is a factor that is often ignored. Dale does a professional
job, and uses first-rate processing equipment (if memory serves me correctly
they use Swiss-made processing equipment, with a temperature that is kept
within 1/4 of a degree of the specs). Last time I looked they had an online
tour of their processing plant. You really should try them just once.

Old March 26th 06, 10:23 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

"harry" wrote in message
For this roll of film, yes, I can scan it.
What I am looking for is someone recommended by the NG to process my
future film/print processing.
Or I should totally forget about using 35mm from now?

Well, I can only tell you what makes me feel comfortable....I like having
both. The digital image, and the slide or film negative. So, I am sticking
with my film camera, and film. (at least, as long as film is still
available). I scan my film images into my computer, clean them up as
necessary with Photoshop, and store them on my hard disk and CD's. Just
having them digitized would not be enough....I sleep well knowing that I
have those slides in a metal box, and there will always be newer and better
scanners capable of digitizing them as necessary......

Old March 26th 06, 10:30 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

"Jeremy" wrote in message
"harry" wrote in message

[...]

But I am looking forward to the day when I can process my own slide film
with my own chemicals in a temperature controlled environment, then scan
them myself, and print them into 8 x 10's or larger with my own color
printer, and be completely independent of others. (other than the equipment
and film manufacturers, of course) At that point, I won't have to worry
about some teenager thinking about his/her sex life instead of my pictures.

Old March 26th 06, 11:11 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

William Graham wrote:
But I am looking forward to the day when I can process my own slide film
with my own chemicals in a temperature controlled environment, then scan
them myself, and print them into 8 x 10's or larger with my own color
printer, and be completely independent of others. (other than the equipment
and film manufacturers, of course) At that point, I won't have to worry
about some teenager thinking about his/her sex life instead of my pictures.

You have taken a look at Nova and Jobo processors, right? They give you
the temperature control (plus more). They also aren't particularily
expensive.

--
Sander

+++ Out of cheese error +++
Old March 26th 06, 11:21 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

"Sander Vesik" wrote in message
William Graham wrote:
But I am looking forward to the day when I can process my own slide film
with my own chemicals in a temperature controlled environment, then scan
them myself, and print them into 8 x 10's or larger with my own color
printer, and be completely independent of others. (other than the
equipment
and film manufacturers, of course) At that point, I won't have to worry
about some teenager thinking about his/her sex life instead of my
pictures.

You have taken a look at Nova and Jobo processors, right? They give you
the temperature control (plus more). They also aren't particularily
expensive.

Yes, I know that I could start doing it right now, but I still need a decent
printer, and right now, I've got about a zillion slides to scan into my
computer with my new KM-5400. My chief problem is time, and not money, but I
do have to confine myself to "one toy at a time".....:^)

Old March 27th 06, 01:08 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

I could not find Fuji mailer for print, only slide is available. An I
prefer to take photo with Fuji film.

What about ordering Fuji or Kodak processing mailers from B&H Photo? You
drop your exposed film into the envelope and mail it. The slides or
prints come back shortly via mail. You'll get a relatively high quality
of processing quality.

Old March 27th 06, 08:05 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

harry wrote:

Where can I find someone who knows what is a film to process my stuff in N.
Virginia/Fairfax?
I really like to give my good old buddy--RTS III some exercises.

Well, its not in Fairfax, but its not far. They do have a mail-in
option:

http://www.nationalgeographic.com/labs/index.html

Hope that is of some help. The prices are not unreasonable if the
quality is good. Good luck!

Michael J Hoffman