Broken Nikon N90 -- Repair, Replace, or Upgrade?

Old November 9th 05, 05:40 AM
Father Kodak

Default how digital + film work together was: Broken Nikon N90

On Tue, 08 Nov 2005 22:25:15 GMT, "Norm Dresner"
wrote:

"Father Kodak" wrote in message
.. .
On Tue, 08 Nov 2005 14:39:58 GMT, "Norm Dresner"
wrote:

[snip]

Let's be honest. The D70 is only 6 MP and that's only at the low ISO
ratings. When the ISO is raised, the image quality falls -- only somewhat,
not drastically, but it's still degraded. ISO 100 color negative film is
"rated" at about 24 MP and 400-800 film runs more than half of that, still
considerably more than the D70 can deliver. Also, I feel that the dynamic
range of good film still exceeds that of the digital sensors.

Still a bit of an issue, I agree.

When we were in Italy -- before the N90 died -- I had the N90 loaded with
400/800 film and the N90s loaded with 100/160. I switched between the two
depending on whether we were inside or outside of the churches and other
buildings. Fortunately, with my Bronica, all I had to do was switch film
backs.

Did you carry ALL of this at one time, yourself? I find it a chore
with the two F2 bodies plus all those lenses.

Another reason that I'm still using film is the 1.5x multiplier on the
effective lens focal length. When I want really wide angle shots, the Sigma
14mm on the film body is better than anything I can get for the digital that
will also work on film bodies.

Agree 125%. That is the main reason I'm holding out on going
camera-digital (as opposed to scanning slides and negatives).

On other trips, I've loaded one film body with 400 color negative and the
other with Kodachrome 64.

Yeah, that's my style also, except that my high speed film is
Ektachrome @ 1600. Hardly ever need to use a flash. Don't know why I
carry around the darn thing sometimes.

Kodak

Norm

Old November 9th 05, 02:13 PM
Norm Dresner

wrote:

. ..
wrote:

[...]

I have a Lowepro AW Wheeled Trekker backpack which everything 35mm fits
into for transport -- it weights around 21# but that's not a awful lot to
pack. When I'm actively shooting, at least two camera bodies and lenses are
out of the bag and it loses at least 25% of it's weight. Of course. it's
still around my neck, but it's distributed differently. When I take the
Bronica too, it's in a separate bag my wife carries. Exactly which bag and
how much is packed in it depends on where we're going.
But there were times in Sienna and Rome last week when I had two Nikon
bodies with lenses and the Bronica S2 and a Gossen Luna Pro meter hanging
around my neck while I was hauling the pack on my back. Needless to say,
there were some places I simply didn't fit into ;-))

Norm

Old November 11th 05, 09:10 PM
Father Kodak

wrote:

"Father Kodak" wrote in message
On Tue, 08 Nov 2005 14:39:58 GMT, "Norm Dresner"
wrote:

[snip]

Did you carry ALL of this at one time, yourself? I find it a chore
with the two F2 bodies plus all those lenses.

I have a Lowepro AW Wheeled Trekker backpack which everything 35mm fits
into for transport -- it weights around 21# but that's not a awful lot to

I also have a Trekker, but not a wheelie model. I use it when I go
nature hiking. Otherwise, all my gear goes into a bag that hangs off
my (tired, aching, sore) shoulder. Much faster "access" that way for
different lenses, the other body, the spot meter, filters, etc. Or
even (!!) rolls of film.

pack. When I'm actively shooting, at least two camera bodies and lenses are
out of the bag and it loses at least 25% of it's weight. Of course. it's

Yeah, me too at times. It screams, "Tourist!!" If you're in some
parts of Italy, it screams, "Hey kids, rob ME first."

In Rome, somewhere in the Forum area, I was set up on by a gang of
10-year olds who were walking just a bit too close to me. I grabbed
one of my Nikon bodies (with lens), gripped the leather shoulder strap
and started swinging it over my head, while shouting at the kids in
English. I don't think they understood a damn word of English, but
they sure understood the "body English." I still have all my gear.

still around my neck, but it's distributed differently. When I take the
Bronica too, it's in a separate bag my wife carries. Exactly which bag and

Lucky you. My wife *** might *** carry a few rolls of film, or help
me to change a lens. Maybe another argument for digital is that CF
cards are lighter and smaller than 35 mm rolls.

how much is packed in it depends on where we're going.
But there were times in Sienna and Rome last week when I had two Nikon

Sienna, Great place. Especially the central plaza.

bodies with lenses and the Bronica S2 and a Gossen Luna Pro meter hanging
around my neck while I was hauling the pack on my back. Needless to say,
there were some places I simply didn't fit into ;-))

Norm

I've gone on vacations where my camera gear weighed more than my
luggage.

Father Kodak

Old November 11th 05, 09:15 PM
Father Kodak

Default Broken Nikon N90 -- Repair, Replace, or Upgrade?

On Wed, 9 Nov 2005 08:11:35 +0200, DD wrote:

In article ,
says...

The F2 is simply amazing in terms of its engineering and I really must
put some film in mine again soon. I only wish I had a better focussing
screen for it. I have the one with the grid lines and it isn't the best
for manual focussing.

You can always find F/F2 focusing screens for sale on eBay. Not
cheap, though, but a good selection.

My two F2 bodies are still going strong after 30 years of (sometimes
light) usage. I recently bought some specialty items for my F2s like
a 6X mag viewfinder because I expect to use the F2 for "unusual stuff"
with film even after I've gone digital.

"Unusual" is like b&w transparency, closeup work with my bellows, IR,
making b&w slides from negs (type 5302 film). I'm

I also bought some of the Nikon AM-1 metal film cartridges which are
great for bulk-film loading. Back in the day, all my b&w was
bulk-loaded and home-processed. All Kodak. Hence my nickname.

Father Kodak