Is late October/early November too late for fall colors in Northerrn Maine?

Old June 28th 04, 09:53 PM
jcoulter

Default Is late October/early November too late for fall colors in Northerrn Maine?

Richard wrote in :

I'll be in New York on the 26th. October for two days and would like
to head up afterwards to Northern Maine, Baxter etc. for beavers,
moose etc.

Will I be way too late for the fall colors and will it be very cold?

TIA,

Richard.

You will be almost too late for color in NY!
Old June 29th 04, 01:34 PM
B Vaughan

On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 21:31:39 +0100, Richard wrote:

I'll be in New York on the 26th. October for two days and would like
to head up afterwards to Northern Maine, Baxter etc. for beavers,
moose etc.

Will I be way too late for the fall colors and will it be very cold?

Also I don't think you can count on seeing moose. I've been to Maine
several times and always tried to spend some time in places where
there was a higher probability of seeing moose. But I have never
managed to see one.

--------
Barbara Vaughan

My email address is my first initial followed by my last name at libero dot it.
Old June 29th 04, 03:05 PM
Bob F.

The best way to see moose in Maine is to drive at high speed through the
winding country roads on the border between NH and Maine, especially at
night. Usually a moose will appear in front of you before you have a chance
to stop or even slow down. To see a beaver, you'll need to visit a swamp,
or a singles bar, but this isn't recommended in Maine.

Cold in Maine in late October? No, usually its mild, with temps in the mid
60's, a light breeze blowing leaves all over the place. You might bring a
light sweater, but shorts and t-shirts are usually the order of the day. Be
sure to bring some sunscreen as the rays can get pretty strong on some of
those late fall afternoons!

Old June 29th 04, 05:03 PM
Jo Cohen

Also I don't think you can count on seeing moose. I've been to Maine
several times and always tried to spend some time in places where
there was a higher probability of seeing moose. But I have never
managed to see one.

--------
Barbara Vaughan

My email address is my first initial followed by my last name at

libero dot it.

Go to Greenville, Jackman or Kakadjo in the Moosehead Lake area. Take
the back roads. Go early around dawn, or at dusk. Look for anywhere
there is water, streams, or willow (moose eat it) at the side of the
roads. You can't miss them! If in doubt, ask the locals!

Jo

Old June 30th 04, 03:01 AM
Francis A. Miniter

B Vaughan wrote:
On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 21:31:39 +0100, Richard wrote:

I'll be in New York on the 26th. October for two days and would like
to head up afterwards to Northern Maine, Baxter etc. for beavers,
moose etc.

Will I be way too late for the fall colors and will it be very cold?

Also I don't think you can count on seeing moose. I've been to Maine
several times and always tried to spend some time in places where
there was a higher probability of seeing moose. But I have never
managed to see one.

--------
Barbara Vaughan

My email address is my first initial followed by my last name at libero dot it.

I remember in 1986 seeing an article in the newspaper (with
picture) about moose being airlifted into Maine from
Newfoundland to increase the population there. You are
probably wondering "what is wrong with this guy that he
remembers newspaper articles from 18 years ago." Well,
there was the picture of the moose in the swing under the
helicopter, but mostly it was the name of the Newfoundland
wildlife ranger who was in charge of the project. I had
just been to his house on the Avalon peninusla to see his
wildlife artwork less than two months before.

Francis A. Miniter

Old July 1st 04, 12:19 PM
Paddleman

Colors in Upsate NY, depending on the weather, are usually best seen in first
two weeks of October. It's still just a gamble and you won't reaaly know til
you get there.
Regards,
Gary
Old July 3rd 04, 10:34 PM
Paddleman

If you can leave on short notice, there is a outdoor store in Keene/Keene
Valley, just south of Lake Placid, which will let you know the conditions in
the area for hiking/climbing. I assume they would also let you know about the
upcoming weather and colors if you call them. The Mountaineer (518) 576-2281.

Regards,
Gary
Old July 4th 04, 07:02 PM

In message ,
Richard wrote:

I'll be in New York on the 26th. October for two days and would like
to head up afterwards to Northern Maine, Baxter etc. for beavers,
moose etc.

Will I be way too late for the fall colors and will it be very cold?

It may be too late for northern Maine, but it is a bit early for NYC
area (peaks about a week into November, IIRC), so someplace in-between
should be peak.
--

John P Sheehy