Do people still actually use Apple 2?

Old February 10th 05, 05:51 AM
A.J.

Default Do people still actually use Apple 2?

Kevin McMurtrie wrote:
Do people still actually use Apple 2? Why are there so many active
groups for computers that have not been made in so many years.

Serious
questions.

Kevin

I sure use the Apple 2! My biggest reason is actually quite
sentimental. It is the computing platform that I was introduced to as
a child and I credit it for helping guide me to a career in software
development. I also love programming the 6502 and trying to employ
"tricks" to carry out important functions (like drawing on the
double-high-resolution graphics screen).

Has anyone else noticed that ever since Windows 95 was released,
personal computing really hasn't really changed much? Back in the
1980s we were blessed with a diversity of computing platforms, all of
which were fun to use and program in addition to having a ton of useful
productivity applications. We had the Commodore 64, 8-bit Apple II,
early Macintosh, Amiga, Atari ST, and Apple IIGS. I never did care for
the IBM PC and its myriad of clones back in the '80s -- it seemed to
lack the "personality and soul" that the other machines had. Now, it
seems that it's impossible to get away from the Wintel world, and it's
been the same type of architecture, software, and applications ever
since then.

I long for those days...

--A.J.

Old February 10th 05, 06:53 AM
Davoud

A.J.:
Now, it seems that it's impossible to get away from the Wintel world...

A few have managed to escape.
http://www.annapolisappleslice.com/who.html mentions a dozen or so of
the 30 million individuals or organizations that have found it quite
easy to avoid Wintel.

Davoud

--
usenet *at* davidillig *dawt* com