Best cds for backup

Old September 25th 04, 10:17 PM
Andrew Marsh

Default Best cds for backup

Hi all. I am sure that this has been asked many times , but I am not getting
very far with the local camera shops. What are the best types of cdrs or
cdrws to backup my tiff files on. No one in my area seems to be aware of any
problems with cds going bad. I have about 2000 family photos and and the
scans are a 1 time deal before the pics get dispersed.
Thanks.

Old September 26th 04, 12:00 AM

Andrew Marsh wrote:
Hi all. I am sure that this has been asked many times , but I am not getting
very far with the local camera shops. What are the best types of cdrs or
cdrws to backup my tiff files on. No one in my area seems to be aware of any
problems with cds going bad. I have about 2000 family photos and and the
scans are a 1 time deal before the pics get dispersed.
Thanks.

Use only mutsui standard, or licensed technology
(e.g. the kodak gold CDs were mitsui):

http://www.inkjetart.com/mitsui

The cheaper the CD, the higher probability it will not last long.

Don't trust one media. Get a good USB hard drive and back up to
it too (cheaper per megabyte than quality CDs). Make 2 sets
of CDs and store one off site in case of fire/flood.

Roger

Old September 26th 04, 02:41 AM
JK

"Roger N. Clark (change username to rnclark)" wrote:

Andrew Marsh wrote:
Hi all. I am sure that this has been asked many times , but I am not getting
very far with the local camera shops. What are the best types of cdrs or
cdrws to backup my tiff files on. No one in my area seems to be aware of any
problems with cds going bad. I have about 2000 family photos and and the
scans are a 1 time deal before the pics get dispersed.
Thanks.

Use only mutsui standard, or licensed technology
(e.g. the kodak gold CDs were mitsui):

I like using Fuji CDRs. They are made by Taiyo Yuden in Japan.
Make at least two sets of backups, and store them in different
places.

http://www.inkjetart.com/mitsui

The cheaper the CD, the higher probability it will not last long.

Don't trust one media. Get a good USB hard drive

Hard drives(as well as other magnetic media) aren't good for long
term backups. They are good for short term backups that are done
frequently. Another option for longer term backup is DVDR.

Old September 26th 04, 05:19 AM

Andrew Marsh wrote:

Hi all. I am sure that this has been asked many times , but I am not getting
very far with the local camera shops. What are the best types of cdrs or
cdrws to backup my tiff files on. No one in my area seems to be aware of any
problems with cds going bad. I have about 2000 family photos and and the
scans are a 1 time deal before the pics get dispersed.
Thanks.

Use only mutsui standard, or licensed technology
(e.g. the kodak gold CDs were mitsui):

I like using Fuji CDRs. They are made by Taiyo Yuden in Japan.
Make at least two sets of backups, and store them in different
places.

1) do you have data on the longevity of Fuji CDR? In the data
I've seen, only the mitsui process has good longevity.

http://www.inkjetart.com/mitsui

The cheaper the CD, the higher probability it will not last long.

Don't trust one media. Get a good USB hard drive

Hard drives(as well as other magnetic media) aren't good for long
term backups. They are good for short term backups that are done
frequently. Another option for longer term backup is DVDR.

Again, where is the data on this? Do not confuse magnetic
media like tape with hard drives. Tape overlays each other
and has print thfough, and with a flexible meduim, is less
stable. A hermetically sealed hard drive is a very diffferent story.
Again, do not rely on one media type for backup.
DVDs: where is the longevity data (I have yet to see anything).
See:
http://www.inkjetart.com/mitsui/dvd.html

Old September 26th 04, 11:33 AM
larrylook

Andrew Marsh wrote:
[...]

The hard drive isn't a bad idea IMHO. It's fast to do back ups, and you
don't have a lot of cd's lying around. If the ext hard drive dies, buy a
new one immediately and repeat your backing up. If your int computer hard
drive fails, get a new int hard drive and put a copy back on it. Whan you
upgrade to new computer in 2 yrs, put a new copy there from the ext hard
drive. Now it's backed up twice. The new computer will come with two 200
gb hard drives -if you can afford it then.

Old September 26th 04, 02:07 PM
Paul.

First of all don't place any trust in compact discs or the DVD disc - they
scratch and go mouldy and their entire data holding surfaces are their to be
abused by the 'elements' and they are tin and flimsy.

The most reliable future proofed backup option for digital photographers
would be a tape drive in my opinion. That is what the computer industry uses
and they have been backing up on them for decades. They still use tape
drives in the era of the DVDR and firewire hard drive. Think about it -
tapes can be chewed up and still used, snapped and rejoined. Don't buy IBM
though - they are constantly upgrading the format of their tapes and tape
drives making the one you buy obsolete so you have to buy a new one and
can't read what you've already got.

I would suggest an external Sony DAT tape backup drive as DAT seems to have
plenty of inertia.

Old September 26th 04, 02:56 PM
Rita Ä Berkowitz

"Paul." wrote in message

First of all don't place any trust in compact discs or the DVD disc - they
scratch and go mouldy and their entire data holding surfaces are their to
be
abused by the 'elements' and they are tin and flimsy.

Paul, any storage media that is subjected to the "elements" will eventually
fail. It's in how well you take care of them. I have commercially produced
music CDs from when they first came out in the early to mid 80s without a
scratch or any other problem with them.

The most reliable future proofed backup option for digital photographers
would be a tape drive in my opinion. That is what the computer industry
uses
and they have been backing up on them for decades. They still use tape
drives in the era of the DVDR and firewire hard drive. Think about it -
tapes can be chewed up and still used, snapped and rejoined. Don't buy IBM
though - they are constantly upgrading the format of their tapes and tape
drives making the one you buy obsolete so you have to buy a new one and
can't read what you've already got.

For the average consumer tape is surly not the way to go due to high cost
and high unreliability. The only reliable tape solution would be AIT than
DLT, but the cost is prohibitive for most consumers. As for tapes being
repaired after being chewed up, this holds true for analog tapes were you
would only lose that one small portion of data. DAT tapes will be fully
hosed after a repair and will need reformatting to be made useful again, if
you would be brave enough to reuse them.

Plus, in the computer industry, most enterprise users use tape libraries if
they are using tape at all. They have implemented backup strategies and
contingency plans to take into consideration bad tapes and failed hardware.
Most consumers don't have this luxury.

I would suggest an external Sony DAT tape backup drive as DAT seems to
have
plenty of inertia.

While I agree Sony makes one hell of a good DAT drive I still wouldn't use
one. The inherent unreliability of tape combined with the mind numbing
slowness of a DDS4 drive makes it a poor choice.

For me, my backup strategy revolves around 146GB U320 SCSI SCA drives in hot
swap trays. It's extremely fast, cheap, and reliable. The best part is I
don't need any other equipment and I can transfer data to any machine that
has a SCSI controller.

I also have all my digital pictures backed up to CD and stored in a safe
place as well. I just append new files and burn a CD when I get enough
images to fill the CD.

Rita