Google Pixel 5 camera and photos issues

Old October 21st 20, 03:54 PM posted to comp.mobile.android,rec.photo.digital
Arlen Holder

Default Google Pixel 5 camera and photos issues

On Tue, 20 Oct 2020 10:48:50 -0700, The Real Bev wrote:

Mine, as reported by apps_packages_info, is version 6.1.012.220043556
o com.google.android.GoogleCamera

I had to go to google play to get this info; it used to be available
through the Settings menu. Hmph. Anyway, 7.5.107.326blablabla updated
Aug 13 2020.

Thanks for that information as it's critical to know the version of the
Google Camera app com.google.android.GoogleCamera because the 7.x version
definitely has more stuff than does the 6.x version ported to my Motorola.
o *Google Pixel 5 camera and photos issues*
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/comp.mobile.android/XE-Gl97h5HI

If anyone knows, offhand, of the 7.x port for non-Google Android phones,
please do let us know as I don't keep up with such stuff.

I'm updating all the apps that need it right now. It won't tell me how
many are being updated unless I set the screen fonts to smaller than I
actually want. Assholes never heard of word wrap?

Hehhehheh... as an octogenarian, I know the eye problems all too well.

In fact, I hadn't even thought of landscape until you mentioned it, but
_most_ of the app version reporting freeware tools truncate the version
info.

That's kind of why I recommend app_packages_info, because it will wrap
text, but I hadn't thought of landscaping it until you mentioned that.
o https://f-droid.org/en/packages/com.oF2pks.applicationsinfo/

Application Inspector also wraps the version text quite nicely:
o https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ubqsoft.sec01

See also:
o How do you find the unique app package real name on your Android device?
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/comp.mobile.android/4TcwyAcSPqM

o Freeware "App Inspector" by Ubqsoft [free, no ads, GSF independent] lists installed apps & their "secret" permissions [apparently]
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/comp.mobile.android/3MEPsDCDCSs

This is a constant annoyance. I really like ES File Explorer, but a lot
of the fonts it uses are too small and GREY for easy viewing. It's not
the only app like this, just the one I use most :-(

I gave up on ES File Explorer when they went over to the dark side a couple
of years ago. Maybe they've been cleaned up since?
o Google removes ES File Explorer from Google Play, by Carlos ER
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/comp.mobile.android/ES$20File$20Explorer|sort:date/comp.mobile.android/E55vZnUnjzU/bsN4kEdMAQAJ

On my system, I have a few file explorers, each a bit different
1. MiX
2. Amaze
3. OI File Man...
4. File Manager
5. Dir
6. Simple Explo
7. Files
8. X-plore
9. Cx File Expl...
10. FX

We should probably start a thread on the best file explorers.
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/comp.mobile.android/E55vZnUnjzU/EvAKVzC4AAAJ
--
Freeware requires everyone to pitch in because of the tests required.
Old October 21st 20, 06:00 PM posted to comp.mobile.android,rec.photo.digital
Arlen Holder

On Wed, 21 Oct 2020 09:49:42 -0700, The Real Bev wrote:

What I want mostly is a quick and easy transfer of photos and other
files between my phone and my computer. The operative words here are
QUICK and EASY with an absolute minimum of thumb-typing. NO
thumb-typing is best!

On Android, we need a tutorial on fully automatic Wi-Fi LAN photo sync!

I'm with you on quick, free, automatic, as you're quite well aware.
o The problem with Android is there are too many solutions to test out.

How I copy photos today has only one flaw, which is kind of a PITA though.
o I connect by USB and slide the photos/videos bidirectionally as desired

What's a PITA is that Windows takes a while to "enumerate" those files
o Noticeable when there are tens of thousands of photos to be slid over

What I should investigate are the "automatic" file-transfer solutions
o Particularly an automatic solution that works over the Wi-Fi LAN.

I started that quest more than a year ago, but haven't fully followed thru:
o Do you have a working freeware automatic sync between Android & Windows?
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/comp.mobile.android/7aOWwoEwsZ0
--
On Android, we need a tutorial on fully automatic Wi-Fi LAN photo sync!
Old October 21st 20, 06:05 PM posted to comp.mobile.android,rec.photo.digital
123456789

Arlen Holder posted:

I gave up on ES File Explorer when they went over to the dark side a
couple of years ago. Maybe they've been cleaned up since?

I still don't see the original ES File Explorer in the Google Play
Store though there are several lookalikes with ES in their name.

Google removes ES File Explorer from Google Play, by Carlos ER

Surprisingly ES File Explorer was never kicked out of the Amazon App
Store. However the version currently available there requires an
internal upgrade to 'Premium' if you want to do anything substantial
(like transferring internal files to a SD card). Fortunately (or
unfortunately depending on one's paranoia) many
original older ES versions still work just fine.

BTW the Amazon App Store can be sideloaded to most normal Android
tablets if one needs more variety than from the millions of apps
available in the other stores. But most of of Amazon's apps
won't run unless the app store is installed also. So you can't get rid of
the store and just use the app. And you thought Google was
sneaky...

On my system, I have a few file explorers, each a bit different 1.
MiX 2. Amaze 3. OI File Man... 4. File Manager 5. Dir 6. Simple Explo
7. Files 8. X-plore 9. Cx File Expl... 10. FX

Gosh Arlen I am truly amazed that 'Files by Google' isn't on your
list. It works great, perhaps even better than the sneaky old ES File
Explorer IMO...
Old October 21st 20, 06:41 PM posted to comp.mobile.android,rec.photo.digital
Arlen Holder

On Wed, 21 Oct 2020 10:05:35 -0700, 123456789 wrote:

On my system, I have a few file explorers, each a bit different 1.
MiX 2. Amaze 3. OI File Man... 4. File Manager 5. Dir 6. Simple Explo
7. Files 8. X-plore 9. Cx File Expl... 10. FX

Gosh Arlen I am truly amazed that 'Files by Google' isn't on your
list. It works great, perhaps even better than the sneaky old ES File
Explorer IMO...

We probably need a thread on the best Android freeware file manager apps.

Here are my ten file manager apps, ordered from best to worst, so far:
o https://i.postimg.cc/Hxj3qWZS/filemgr01.jpg

I test many apps, as you're well aware, where my approach is to install
those which are listed numerous times on the "ten best" lists (most of
those "reviews" are shills though - but it's what we have to work with).

Then, I use those apps.
o The instant they do something obnoxious, I delete them within a second.

When they do something "nice", I instantly move them further forward...
o And, if they're really useful, I change the name, e.g., to "use this!".

These ten file-manager apps are left simply because they weren't obnoxious:
Old October 21st 20, 07:07 PM posted to comp.mobile.android,rec.photo.digital
Frank Slootweg

123456789 wrote:
Arlen Holder posted:

I gave up on ES File Explorer when they went over to the dark side a
couple of years ago. Maybe they've been cleaned up since?

I still don't see the original ES File Explorer in the Google Play
Store though there are several lookalikes with ES in their name.

Exactly! Saying 'ES File Explorer' is mostly meaningless, because - as
you say - there are may others with 'ES' in their name, one of them even
'Es File Explorer', i.e. with a lowercase 's'.

Adding insult to injury, there are other apps with similar icons -
'ES' in a cloud, or 'EZ' in a cloud, or just 'ES' or ... ad infinitum.

See

https://play.google.com/store/search?q=ES%20file%20exporer&c=apps

I stopped counting how many there are.

Google removes ES File Explorer from Google Play, by Carlos ER

The 'original' one-and-only ES File Explorer had Google Play id
"id=com.estrongs.android.pop". That is the best/only way to uniquely
identify *which* 'ES File Explorer' one is talking about.

If you have the original one and do an 'About', it will say something
like

"About

Official website
www.estrongs.com
(C)2009-2015, ES APP Group"

The website still exists and has a version 4.2.2.9.2 APK.

It's kind of funny to see that the iOS version *is* still in the App
Store (change 'cn' in the URL to 'us' to see the English entry)!

And there's a Mac version! So Windows lusers, eat your heart out! :-)
(For some reason the iTunes Store hangs for me! Lucky escape!)

Surprisingly ES File Explorer was never kicked out of the Amazon App
Store. However the version currently available there requires an
internal upgrade to 'Premium' if you want to do anything substantial
(like transferring internal files to a SD card). Fortunately (or
unfortunately depending on one's paranoia) many
original older ES versions still work just fine.

So Android with the Amazon App Store, your device being somewhat like
an Apple wannabe! :-)

[...]
Old October 21st 20, 07:36 PM posted to comp.mobile.android,rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Arlen Holder

On Wed, 21 Oct 2020 10:52:42 -0700, The Real Bev wrote:

For some reason I can't see my computer via the LAN, only FTP.
One more weird thing which has been pondered over by genuine experts.

There is a _lot_ we can do on a mobile device using the power of Windows!
o Tutorial to run any Windows command directly on Android over either USB or Wi-Fi
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/comp.mobile.android/JrWLPRYO-TU

It's actually surprisingly shocking how much power Windows has on Android:
o From Windows, how can we open a command line on the Android filesystem?
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/comp.mobile.android/vmWWLzPHKt0

Look at this picture I just uploaded for you of my USB connections:
o https://i.postimg.cc/zf1t61KW/copyfiles02.jpg

Notice there is an iOS device, an iPod, an Android device, & others.
o From Windows, I slide files to/from any of those devices to/from Windows

Here's a screenshot I posted yesterday for another copy thread:
o https://i.postimg.cc/DZB9YDcR/copyfiles01.jpg

Most file copies are done from Windows/Linux - not from the device
o Where Windows/Linux can "see" the entire device visible file system

The key difference is that the "visible" file system is greater for Android
o And, for iOS devices, the "visible" file system is greater using Linux

And, for Apple products, it's usually one-way (by default)
o Although, for me, it's bidirectional read & write for both iOS & iPod

But that's because I know the tricks to make iOS & iPod fully read/write
o Which, interestingly, almost no Apple users ever seem to know.

Sometimes I "push" the files over the Wi-Fi LAN from the device though.
o For that, I set up a third-party SMB server on Android or iOS

o How to mount the entire mobile device file system on Windows
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/comp.mobile.ipad/ix8xgTcexAY/dlY4nLMfAgAJ

With ES File Explorer I created a 'shortcut' for the subdirectory that
contains my photos. I also created/found/whatever an FTP connection to
a subdirectory on my computer. I tap the shortcut, select SELECT ALL,
tap COPY, tap the 'hamburger' at upper left, tap the FTP connection and
tap PASTE. I used to have a shortcut for the FTP subdirectory, but that
doesn't work any more. This is just as easy.

I agree it's trivial to copy files to/from Android to/from Windows/Linux:
o How do you copy photos over USB from Android to Windows?
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/comp.mobile.android/X9sUE-ATG94

As you noted, for some tasks, even ancient FTP works well for file copies.
o FTP can even be used to "mount" the device as a Windows drive letter.

Which means, from Windows, you can make shortcuts to do neat copying stuff.
o Tutorial: How to connect Android to Windows as a drive letter over a Wi-Fi LAN for free simple reliable bidirectional copy
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/comp.mobile.android/9Lu2_dPsu6o

You'd think SMB would work better with Windows, but there are limits:
o What's the best way to forward SMB TCP port 445 to something higher than 1024 on Windows?
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/comp.mobile.android/3QQ8bAZeXNI

o Do you know of a free Android SMBv2 (or SMBv3) client?
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/comp.mobile.android/tl3Q05QGyAw

o How can I modify a Windows shortcut to mount as a specified drive letter?
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/alt.comp.freeware/6pwyTqYAhE0

o Does freeware exist on Windows that will mount (as a drive letter) Android connected via USB as MTP?
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/alt.comp.freeware/TaIlIMK2Nuw

o KDE Connect is a keeper for sending & receiving files over your Wi-Fi LAN to/from any desktop to/from any Android phone!
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/comp.mobile.android/4x1rf1JefW8

o Does anyone have libmtp freeware currently working on Linux or Windows who can show us how to COPY files to/from unrooted Android over USB using libmtp?
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/comp.mobile.android/8ICXfG2MIrs

o Why would SMB seem to be more reliable than WebDav or FTP or KDEConnect, etc., for Wi-Fi "network connections" between Android & Windows?
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/comp.mobile.android/KAr3I1KY8Gg

I have separate shortcuts for the native Camera app and the OpenCamera
app that doesn't change mode stupidly. I suppose I could combine the
two, but I'd just as soon leave defaults alone when it doesn't actually
hurt.

Then I delete the photos from my phone, possibly moving a few of them to
the SAVE subdirectory.

That seems like a usable system.
o For me, the only PITA is how long Windows takes to enumerate many photos.

I should set up a freeware Wi-Fi LAN based _automatic_ photo copy.
o I just haven't attacked that problem set in earnest yet.

What's a PITA is that Windows takes a while to "enumerate" those files
o Noticeable when there are tens of thousands of photos to be slid over

Linux. I just use my windows computer for stuff that requires windows
-- mainly just tax software and the occasional Garmin update.

Linux works quite well, and not only with Android.
o Linux turns the entire visible file system of iOS devices read/write!

o How to mount the entire mobile device file system on Linux
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/comp.mobile.android/6PQmYWSk34I

In fact, Linux works best with iOS - far better than does even Windows:
o Simultaneously slide Windows Linux iOS Android files back and forth over USB at 7GB per minute speeds using 100% native devices (no proprietary software needed)
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/comp.mobile.android/WohhLOTCYKw

o An elegant solution to managing digital files on ANY iOS, Android, Windows, or Linux device SIMULTANEOUSLY over USB using zero additional software (other than the native OS)
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/alt.comp.freeware/H6T7KqzR_ww

What I should investigate are the "automatic" file-transfer solutions
o Particularly an automatic solution that works over the Wi-Fi LAN.

shudder As soon as I discovered that the Pixel was automatically
sending my photos to Google I turned that off. I transfer photos to my
computer, edit them, and upload the edited versions (smaller, FREE
storage) to Google Photos.

Understood. When I say "automatic", I mean local to my own LAN only.
o Do you have a working freeware automatic sync between Android & Windows?
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/comp.mobile.android/7aOWwoEwsZ0

I _never_ want to put anything on the net that I don't have to!

o Do people of reasonable technical ability store their private data on the Internet (if so, for what gain?)
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/comp.mobile.android/mBIZ-8jGdmk

I started that quest more than a year ago, but haven't fully followed thru:
o Do you have a working freeware automatic sync between Android & Windows?
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/comp.mobile.android/7aOWwoEwsZ0

Ew.

I need to check to see if I can see my computer via LAN if I hook it up
via USB...

I'm confused whose "file manager" you're speaking about in that sentence:
a. Do you try to see Windows' file system from Android? (which you can do)
b. Do you try to see Android's file system from Windows? (it's the default)

Which direction are you _trying_ to see the other device from?
A. From Android?
B. From Windows?

o When you plug in your phone to usb on your computer, does your file system mount on Windows 10?
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/comp.mobile.android/qxztHvQevDY
--
The entire Android filesys can be "mounted" as a drive letter on Windows.
Old October 21st 20, 07:59 PM posted to comp.mobile.android,rec.photo.digital
123456789

Frank Slootweg wrote:

The 'original' one-and-only ES File Explorer had Google Play id
"id=com.estrongs.android.pop". That is the best/only way to uniquely
identify *which* 'ES File Explorer' one is talking about.

If you have the original one and do an 'About', it will say
something like

Official website www.estrongs.com (C)2009-2015, ES APP Group"

And email is per my Amazon app copy.

BTW the Amazon store also has ES Task Manager by the same outfit.

The website still exists and has a version 4.2.2.9.2 APK.

My Amazon app is version 4.2.1.2. Not surprised as many of my Amazon
apps are several versions behind their Play Store twins. Many times
that's a good thing...

And there's a Mac version! So Windows lusers, eat your heart out!
:-)

Unfortunately since my W10 laptop went up in flames I'm Windowless. I'm
kinda surprised that I don't miss it all that much. This Chromebook
pretty much does the job for my very basic needs. Unfortunately all the
Chromebook has is the Play Store so no ES File Explorer. And no
sideloading allowed (for my safety of course)...

So Android with the Amazon App Store, your device being somewhat
like an Apple wannabe! :-)

Yup. I got Fire tablets with the Play Store installed and normal Android
tablets with the Amazon App Store installed. If I could figure a way to
have the iOS store of course I'd do it...
Old October 21st 20, 07:59 PM posted to comp.mobile.android,rec.photo.digital,comp.sys.mac.apps
Arlen Holder

On 21 Oct 2020 18:07:34 GMT, Frank Slootweg wrote:

Official website
www.estrongs.com
(C)2009-2015, ES APP Group"

The website still exists and has a version 4.2.2.9.2 APK.

It's kind of funny to see that the iOS version *is* still in the App
Store (change 'cn' in the URL to 'us' to see the English entry)!

And there's a Mac version! So Windows lusers, eat your heart out! :-)
(For some reason the iTunes Store hangs for me! Lucky escape!)

Thanks for that information, Frank, as I avoid ES File Explorer ever since
I heard from Carlos that it had gone over to the dark side (it was probably
secretly on the dark side all along though - they likely got me already).
o https://i.postimg.cc/Hxj3qWZS/filemgr01.jpg

Looking at your links, here's what it looks like with 'cn' instead of 'com'
o https://i.postimg.cc/X7b6g3CK/filemgr02.jpg

Mac: (the link uses the "itmss" protocol apparently, whatever that is)
o https://apps.apple.com/cn/app/id1499026047

iOS:
o https://apps.apple.com/cn/app/id1441621965
o https://i.postimg.cc/CxMyWNJz/filemgr03.jpg

Android:
o http://s.duapps.com/apks/own/ESFileExplorer-V4.2.2.9.2.apk
Name: ESFileExplorer-V4.2.2.9.2.apk
Size: 23647579 bytes (22 MiB)
SHA256: 8ADBCD5CD2F4E0EE2317D02FA2F04C032DE3E36685E74276C2 E30A29BC1AA80B
--
We all need to each of us together when choosing the best freeware.
Old October 22nd 20, 12:28 PM posted to comp.mobile.android,rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Paul[_10_]

The Real Bev wrote:
On 10/21/2020 11:36 AM, Arlen Holder wrote:
On Wed, 21 Oct 2020 10:52:42 -0700, The Real Bev wrote:

With ES File Explorer I created a 'shortcut' for the subdirectory that
contains my photos. I also created/found/whatever an FTP connection to
a subdirectory on my computer. I tap the shortcut, select SELECT ALL,
tap COPY, tap the 'hamburger' at upper left, tap the FTP connection and
tap PASTE. I used to have a shortcut for the FTP subdirectory, but that
doesn't work any more. This is just as easy.

I agree it's trivial to copy files to/from Android to/from Windows/Linux:
o How do you copy photos over USB from Android to Windows?
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/comp.mobile.android/X9sUE-ATG94

I've never wanted to do that. I haven't figured out the proper syntax
to suck in files from my windows machine (I used to be able to do that,
but Something Has Changed) with my linux machine so if I want to copy my
tax pdfs to the windows machine I just do it from the windows machine
with copy+paste.

What I should investigate are the "automatic" file-transfer solutions
o Particularly an automatic solution that works over the Wi-Fi LAN.

shudder As soon as I discovered that the Pixel was automatically
sending my photos to Google I turned that off. I transfer photos to my
computer, edit them, and upload the edited versions (smaller, FREE
storage) to Google Photos.

Understood. When I say "automatic", I mean local to my own LAN only.
o Do you have a working freeware automatic sync between Android &
Windows?
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/comp.mobile.android/7aOWwoEwsZ0

I _never_ want to put anything on the net that I don't have to!

It's handy putting my edited photos on the net. I can just give people
links if I want to show them a photo. I really hate the way google
photos does that now. I used to enable people to permanently view whole
subdirectories (or the entire account), but now all the google-generated
links die after 6 months. I suppose I can just do the link separately,
though. Why did I not think of that until just this minute?

I need to check to see if I can see my computer via LAN if I hook it up
via USB...

I'm confused whose "file manager" you're speaking about in that sentence:
a. Do you try to see Windows' file system from Android? (which you can
do)
b. Do you try to see Android's file system from Windows? (it's the
default)

Windows is out of the picture. Transfers are between linux and android
only. "File manager" refers to Android's ES File Manager.
Computer=linux. I use a command in an xterm to do copies.

Which direction are you _trying_ to see the other device from?
A. From Android?
B. From Windows?

o When you plug in your phone to usb on your computer, does your file
system mount on Windows 10?
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/comp.mobile.android/qxztHvQevDY

I haven't tried mounting the phone to my linux computer, although I do
that with my Nook reader. It's a nuisance to mount and unmount other
filesystems so I try to do it as little as possible. Windows
automounts, but if linux will do that I don't know about it and I
wouldn't want to do it anyway. I also close applications individually
when I shut my computer off...

On Linux, try

cat /proc/filesystems

If mtpfs isn't listed there, then it's probably a fuse file system
that needs to be installed. MTP is good for a variety of
devices doing media transfer, but doesn't handle everything.
MTP is the follow-on to PTP (picture transfer protocol).

My point and shoot digital camera is USB mass storage, and so
doesn't need MTP to get files off.

MTP has the "advantage", that both processors (a desktop and
the processor inside the device) can use the storage at
the same time. Whereas USB mass storage, only one can have
exclusive access at a time, and the other has to wait. But
it's a rather clunky kind of thing, and not about to
win any prizes. Google added a couple options to it, to
try to make it more granular.

Automounting, most of the time, is a double click and done
thing. And a lot of the mounting can be done that way.
(The mountpoint, a MKDIR, is done for you.)
There are other cases, forensic recovery, where manual
mount commands in command line, still have to be crafted.

Paul