How can I get flat image of can labels?

Old October 22nd 10, 12:03 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

Default How can I get flat image of can labels?

On 2010-10-21 09:24:08 -0700, Mark F said:

I'm looking for software that would stitch together pictures that
I take of the label on a paint can and give me a "flat" combined
image.

I would rotate the can 30 to 60 degrees between pictures.

I think that a panorama stitching program or PhotoShop plug
in would be able to do the job, but the images will be distorted
and might be beyond the range of what a typical panorama
program can correct for.

(I don't want to have to take more than 60 images to keep the
distortion down, and if I could remove the labels and flatten
them before photographing or scanning, then I would use that
route instead.)

Certainly with 40 to 60 degree rotations of the can you could get away
with as few as 8-10 shots allowing for overlap. However there is going
to be the issue of cylindrical distortion on the left & right of each
exposure, and that is going to create problems with any panorama or
photomerge software..
If this is your last resort, I would do a few things as part of the process;
1: can centered on some type of "lazy Susan" turntable device.
2: camera in fixed position on tripod.
3: each image should be cropped along the vertical edges, removing the
distorted major areas using the rectangular select tool. Maintain an
overlap.

Doing that you should be able to piece something together with
photomerge, but I wouldn't hold out too much hope.

You might consider trying to float the labels off the cans after
soaking in a bucket of mild soap solution. After removal rinse, dry, &
scan.
....or if the label is too large for the scanner bed, mount on a backing
and shoot.

Good luck.

Savageduck