Where was I? Oh, yeah, "Interesting" comments (long)

Old September 29th 09, 04:29 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
Frank ess

Default Where was I? Oh, yeah, "Interesting" comments (long)

Just to inject a little (photographic) life into this political group,
please find attached my obligatory commments on the entries in Mr
Bowser's "Interesting" challenge. I say "obligatory" because it seems
to me posting an entry into a Shoot-In commits one to pay attention to
his own work, and to that of others, and to return the favor that the
commitment implies others will grant him, as well.

My tentative evaluation of the entire collection of images was, "Eric
Stevens Two, Bowser One, The Rest Of US Zero.

Int Eric Stevens 2
http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/116994990

This is not one of the Two. It contains interesting stuff, somthing to
set my gaze and mind wandering; the viewpoint interferes with the
wander. Like many of the things we have to look past to make sense of
impressions, if there is too much substance too close, the depths may
get lost.

Int Eric Stevens 4
http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/116994999

Now this is another matter. The depth is there, there are enough items
of semi-familar (or imagined) function to keep the eye and imaginer
busy for a while, and all leading to a somewhat enigmatic focus with a
large capacity for symbolism. Not an easy photo to make, and surely a
satisfying one for me.

Int E Stevens Old
http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/116995006

Less is more. Good evocation of a long-dormant memory set. Possible to
conject a lot into the few picture elements.

Int BobCoe 1
http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/116995011

Can you feel the hum? Something about those nether wavelengths and
some elemental shapes. Nice. Satisfying but ... not really fulfilling.

Int BobCoe 2
http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/116995019

Here's another with a plethora of detail to view, but the assortment
takes little time to sort, and once you've seen one trick, it may be
time to look for a different pony.

Int BobCoe 3 Old
http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/116995025

Oh, good! A covered bridge in color! No, wait, it's mosquitos in
flight! Really, very evocative, but I am distracted or put off by the
circle thing. Is it my eye, or is the horizon a bit tilted? I only say
that because I need something to say.

Int MarthaCoe 1
http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/116995031

I like to look at this because of the not-sharp shadows and the
cut-off bench. There must be something really interesting in there,
but I'm not seeing it, I guess.

Int MarthaCoe2
http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/116995037

The colors match my expectations for this kind of picture. I'd like
the lower left corner to not be cut off by the light-colored line, and
I'd like the barrier to exit nearer the lower right corner and to be a
bit more below my sight line. As in the previous shot, nature and its
soft boundaries and man and his hard edges always make good tension.

Int MarthaCoe 3
http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/116995041

Nature presents some hard transitions, too. Nice cutting of energy
lines by the white and dark elements. These are often difficult to
crop, what with so many possible inclusions. I don't want my round bud
snipped by the edge of the frame; reminds me too much of the
vulnerability of living things.

Interesting Almost Real Cooper
http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/116995046

There is an aura about this that makes me want to cry a little. One of
those fairy-tale, turned-to-stone, lost-potential stories, I suppose.
Kind of the opposite pole from the thrill of success. But it's all
over in a minute. Another mystery solved. Next ...

Interesting Bob Sosenko
http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/116995051

I'm sorry if I have an insultingly short attention span. I'm
interested in cars, but distanced by the air-brushed effect. Oh, says
I, a racing Ferrari cockpit. (Looks like a MAD magazine illustration,
eh?) Silver State?

Interesting - bobFlint 1
http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/116995055

There is some heavy action here. The Earth is sucking big time, and
this stuff is fighting it with everything it's got. I'm a little
claustrophobic, so I'll move on, if you don't mind.

Interesting - BobFlint 2
http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/116995060

I do NOT want to go into your ditch. Nice report though.

Interesting - Bob Flint 3
http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/116995060

I get it! And there is some cool motion in there among the inanimate
objects, too. Interesting.

Interesting Savageduck 01
http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/116995073

I enjoy a good aircraft armament picture, even though I don't believe
this one. Were they really chromed? C'mon.

Interesting Savageduck 02B
http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/116995078

I could have said "P-51" without prompting; during WWII this was one
of my two favorite airplanes. The other was the P-38 "Lightning",
which may have loaned its name to this particular airship, which I
would have called a "Mustang".

Interesting Savagduck 03
http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/116995083

Love those torquey old radial engines. There were two biplanes flying
daily, "shooting landings" or giving rides, flying over my house under
the Montgomery Field flight path. I pointed out the slow-flying,
slow-turning engine sound to my wife. The next day one of them had a
"hard landing", no injuries, but there is just one flying now. I
mentioned that to one of my old coworkers who was a Marine Pilot in
WWII, and he said he knows what they tell people to fly those planes:
"No turns over five degrees!" I suppose that means something to
fliers. Photographically speaking, nice but I'll move right along ...

Interesting TimConway
http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/116995087

Airplane engine. Nice semi-document, not alot of art in it, my view.
"Semi-" because it's not close enough for detail, at this distance
just meaningful to the knowledgeable.

Interesting TimConway2
http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/116995092

This IS interesting, to me, because of the colors and the conflict in
edges. Like the many-daisy problem, where to crop without interrupting
flow? Tough call.

Interesting TimConway3
http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/116995097

Cool shot. I admire the inpired execution, and the contortions
required to make it come alive. You DIDN'T kill that plant, did you?

Interesting by Calving Sambrook
http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/116995103

Nice one; a little contrived, maybe; another one worthwhile in terms
of payoff for effort. I wish there was some other placement for the
arm and elbow (that interferes with my trajectory into the top shelf)
without jeopardizing the reacher.

Interesting Solomon Peachy 1
http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/116995106

Couple-three mysteries in there, but I'm not interested enough to work
them out.

Interesting Solomon Peachy 2 old
http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/116995112

Yes, definitely interesting. Seemingly a simple enough image, nice
tones and gradations, and plenty of room for conjecture. How many
thumb rings in your family? The spread fingers: some cigarette smokers
in hers? Pyromaniacs? Could you please ask her to tell about the
internal monologue that was going on at this moment? Thank you.

int bowser 1
http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/116995118

Hey, it's recorded for posterity.

int bowser 2
http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/116995126

Don't get me started on animal abuse, pretentiousness, arrogance,
self-consciousness.

int bowser 3
http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/116995131

Why is this one that earned a point? I dunno. I hear bells ringing,
see lights flashing, echoes of happy hours spent at (guess?) pinball
machines. Cool shadings, sharp transitions, too. strikes a chord,
somehow. Weeks later and I still enjoy looking at it in general and in
specific elements. Yes, at least one point.

int simon1, int simon2
http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/116995137
http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/116995141

Bugh (sic) pictures. I guess it's a natural urge to commit bugh
photography. I succumb myself, from time to time, but I admit, unless
the shots are technically outstanding ... I'll move on, if you don't
mind.

inter Frank ess 01
http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/116995145

I like regularity, randomness, color, unsolveable mysteries (how much
of that dull section up in the right is leaves from other plants, how
much from the bearing plant, how much spider web, how much
unidentified matter?) I'll take credit for r, r, and c, but no point.

inter Frank ess 02
http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/116995148

This guy is doing his last wheeze on the "shorty" antenna of my car,
parked in the driveway of our home. My wife calls them "Mayates", her
Spanish word for this (or a similar) bugh, which she and her playmates
in the mountains of Chihuahua, Mexico, used to capture and fly like
kites, with a piece of thread as line. The background is a car cover,
the apparent fuzz balls are out-of-focus pieces of vegetable matter
from eucalyptus trees, which are very nice for the twenty minutes a
year they aren't dropping leaves, flowers, buds, bark, or branches.
The camera is a sealed P&S, so cleaning the sensor isn't a likely
occurrence.

inter Frank ess 03 old
http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/116995151

A bit of a tradition at the Coronado School Of The Arts at Coronado,
California High School: Graphics Arts students present a tableau of
their works, during graduation week. This is my granddaughter's work.
She earned scholarships and prizes, and is now at university,
presumably learning it takes more than talent to prosper.

interesting CD Cooper
http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/116995155

I feel very confident this is not going anywhere. I have an idea what
it does, and might be able to name that tune. Interesting in an
abstract, non-involving sense.

interesting flea market choice2 Cooper
http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/116995159

Bombarded by "stuff". George Carlin. If I were in the market for some
African Stuff, I might spend more than a few seconds at this.
Otherwise, too many daisies.

si lunabella
http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/116995162

Always a sucker for textures and contrasts, this creeps in on little
flamingo (amputated) feet. I think it's the peach icecream vibes that
touch the taste buds back in the corners of my mouth. Are these guys
getting enough shrimp in their diet?

Miss Victoria dominatrix
http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/117003140

In my line of business I had some dealings with quite a few people who
show the kind of weariness I sense in this lady's pose and expression.
The interesting part is, to me, that she and they are/were not what
they looked like, all the way through. I have forgotten what sage said
it, but "A sign of maturity is the ability to be comfortable in
multiple roles". I'd say she looks pretty comfortable, if tired.
Choose content over "technical excellence", every time. Well depicted,
as we always expect.

SI int Alan Browne 1
http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/117003142

Very polished, interesting like posed portraits, I don't see much life
in it, but there's nothing wrong with that. Makes me want to rebel
against the strictures of aspect ratio cropping.

SI int Alan Browne 2
http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/117003144

Must be the low angle of the sun, that not-white look of the white
stuff, eh? I'm interested in how the painted line relates to the line
where one kind of pavement ends and another begins. Generous Canada
said, "Sure, we'll do the extra bit; might take a little stretching of
the mix, though".

SI int Alan Browne 3
http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/117003146

Nice empty-chair feeling, with or without the line, or the story that
makes it "interesting".

interesting_Paul-Furman_2009-08-08-baca_0036228
http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/117078181

The attack of the mutant rhubarb. Paul has this facility for getting
your perception to proceed through space, and making it juke this way
and that. Here's some sharp strands, some sharp splashes, some blurred
and uncertain features, plenty to exercise your eyes and explainer
mechanisms. Odd, but interesting.

interesting_Paul-Furman_2009-08-13-shiprock_18_PBF7755
http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/117078183

See what I mean about whipping your perceptual focus around? I have to
admit to being a Shiprock fan, but a guitar isn't part of my
stereotype of native American desert life.

interesting_Paul-Furman_2009-08-15-area-51_0039518
http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/117078184

I've done a good deal of traveling throughout the West, and seen
thousands of acre-feet of this mirage water. Some of it is realistic
enough to make you blink and blink and blink. Hard to nail down,
well-captured here, and I think I will move on before the tumbleweeds
dry out and begin motorvatin.

--------

You'll realize from my comments that I pretty much view "technical
excellence" as a bonus, not a requirement, or even a point of
interest, sometimes. How do you get to MOMA? Content, content,
content. I idolize the Three Tenors, but for meat on the bones, give
me Joe Cocker or Chuck Berry (among others).

Talking about the proffered works, rolling them around in my mouth, so
to speak, has spurred me to make a couple of point awards I hadn't
anticipated after first look:

http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/116995097 TimConway3 old, and
http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/116995112 Solomon Peachy 2 old each
merit a point.

That makes the sco "Eric Stevens Two, Bowser One, Tim Conway One,
Solomon Peachy One, The Rest Of Us Zero". Maybe we'll try harder, next
time? Or, as I advised many of my hypercritical clients, "Relax into
your life, see its boundaries from a Navajo point of view, 'Walk In
Beauty'".

Thank you for your kind attention.

--
Frank ess

"Perhaps I'm old and tired, but I always think the chances of
finding out what really is going on are so absurdly remote
that the only thing to do is to say 'Hang the sense of it'
and just keep yourself occupied".
-- Slartibartfast

Old September 29th 09, 06:17 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
Bowser

"Frank ess" wrote in message
Just to inject a little (photographic) life into this political group,
please find attached my obligatory commments on the entries in Mr Bowser's
"Interesting" challenge. I say "obligatory" because it seems to me posting
an entry into a Shoot-In commits one to pay attention to his own work, and
to that of others, and to return the favor that the commitment implies
others will grant him, as well.

My tentative evaluation of the entire collection of images was, "Eric
Stevens Two, Bowser One, The Rest Of US Zero.

int bowser 1
http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/116995118

Hey, it's recorded for posterity.

Big. Steel. Dogs. What's not interesting about that?

int bowser 2
http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/116995126

Don't get me started on animal abuse, pretentiousness, arrogance,
self-consciousness.

But the dog seemed to like the custom-knit sweater...

int bowser 3
http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/116995131

Why is this one that earned a point? I dunno. I hear bells ringing, see
lights flashing, echoes of happy hours spent at (guess?) pinball machines.
Cool shadings, sharp transitions, too. strikes a chord, somehow. Weeks
later and I still enjoy looking at it in general and in specific elements.
Yes, at least one point.

Ah. I love it. I don't care why I earned that point, but I'll take it. I
don't get many, and can't afford to waste one.

If I had been paying closer attention when shooting, I might have moved my
feet, and my son's feet out of the frame.

Old September 29th 09, 07:14 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
Paul Furman

Frank ess wrote:
Just to inject a little (photographic) life into this political group,
please find attached my obligatory commments on the entries in Mr
Bowser's "Interesting" challenge. I say "obligatory" because it seems to
me posting an entry into a Shoot-In commits one to pay attention to his
own work, and to that of others, and to return the favor that the
commitment implies others will grant him, as well.

Thanks for your (frank) comments Frank g and interesting perspective
on the set. That freshened my view of them. I get the point about
content, though some of these are just technical geekoid interesting
without any thoughts about fine art or the human condition. I agree my
Nevada mirage shot is really not worth much more than: 'oh, that's what
it looks like frozen & zoomed in', hmm... whatever... g. The other
category for this mandate could've been called "weird", which is also
interesting, maybe cheapened a bit by the cheap shot/shock factor but
that can be done well too, sometimes.

My tentative evaluation of the entire collection of images was, "Eric
Stevens Two, Bowser One, The Rest Of US Zero.

Ouch, I don't think we did that bad. It's interesting how we differ in
our like or revulsion for some of these.

inter Frank ess 01
http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/116995145

I like regularity, randomness, color, unsolveable mysteries (how much of
that dull section up in the right is leaves from other plants, how much
from the bearing plant, how much spider web, how much unidentified
matter?) I'll take credit for r, r, and c, but no point.

Blech. Sorry, I do get the style and intent though, just this one
doesn't work for me at all.

inter Frank ess 02
http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/116995148

This guy is doing his last wheeze on the "shorty" antenna of my car,

This is quite a nice shot.

inter Frank ess 03 old
http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/116995151

A bit of a tradition at the Coronado School Of The Arts at Coronado,
California High School: Graphics Arts students present a tableau of
their works, during graduation week. This is my granddaughter's work.
She earned scholarships and prizes, and is now at university, presumably
learning it takes more than talent to prosper.

Nah, you don't learn that in college.

This got one of *my* stingy three points for the set, though others
thought it was lame shrug.

interesting_Paul-Furman_2009-08-08-baca_0036228
http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/117078181

The attack of the mutant rhubarb.

OK, yeah, this slips in on the 'weird' banner... willow roots in an
alpine stream.

interesting_Paul-Furman_2009-08-13-shiprock_18_PBF7755
http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/117078183

See what I mean about whipping your perceptual focus around? I have to
admit to being a Shiprock fan, but a guitar isn't part of my stereotype
of native American desert life.

Chucki Begay & the Mother Earth Blues Band...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_pfx1Mfqe0
they do some great renditions of BB King, Hendrix, Allman Brothers, etc
but I ended up using an original of hers with more local flavor.

interesting_Paul-Furman_2009-08-15-area-51_0039518
http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/117078184

I think I will move on before the tumbleweeds..

Point taken, I appreciate the perspective.

www.edgehill.net
www.baynatives.com

Old September 29th 09, 07:59 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
Paul Furman

When is the next one due?
'Best of the month' as I recall...
I'm guessing this Sunday morning?

--
Paul Furman
www.edgehill.net

Old September 30th 09, 12:53 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
Bowser

"Paul Furman" wrote in message
When is the next one due?
'Best of the month' as I recall...
I'm guessing this Sunday morning?

October 25th. I wanted everyone to have a chance at foliage pix. At least
those of us in North America. Then we can settle in for a long winter's
sleep.

--
Paul Furman
www.edgehill.net

Old September 30th 09, 02:13 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
Russell D.

Bowser wrote:

"Paul Furman" wrote in message
When is the next one due?
'Best of the month' as I recall...
I'm guessing this Sunday morning?

October 25th. I wanted everyone to have a chance at foliage pix. At
least those of us in North America. Then we can settle in for a long
winter's sleep.

--
Paul Furman
www.edgehill.net
www.baynatives.com

I've got one. Let's go.

Russell
Old September 30th 09, 03:54 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
BobS

Interesting Bob Sosenko
http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/116995051

I'm sorry if I have an insultingly short attention span. I'm
interested in cars, but distanced by the air-brushed effect. Oh, says
I, a racing Ferrari cockpit. (Looks like a MAD magazine illustration,
eh?) Silver State?

Frank,

No air brush - HDR and the effect was used to get a nitty-gritty look.
Hmmmm, no mention of my lighting and the diffuse
interreflections....now that hurts.

By the way, your sensor is in dire need of a cleaning - or is that bug
droppings.....;-)

Bob S.

Old September 30th 09, 04:47 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
Frank ess

BobS wrote:
Interesting Bob Sosenko
http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/116995051

I'm sorry if I have an insultingly short attention span. I'm
interested in cars, but distanced by the air-brushed effect. Oh,
says I, a racing Ferrari cockpit. (Looks like a MAD magazine
illustration, eh?) Silver State?

Frank,

No air brush - HDR and the effect was used to get a nitty-gritty
look. Hmmmm, no mention of my lighting and the diffuse
interreflections....now that hurts.

By the way, your sensor is in dire need of a cleaning - or is that
bug droppings.....;-)

Bob S.

Ferrari and "nitty-gritty", eh? I dunno ...

The sensor is in a sealed P&S camera, Panasonic Lumix LX1. The fuzz
balls behind the bug are out-of-focus eucalyptus tree droppings. I
actually did clone out one that overlapped the antenna rod. It seemed
distracting. I guess I should have swept all the diffuse detritus out
of the picture.

--
Frank ess
Excited about the 12th of November at Petersen Automotive Museum:

Old September 30th 09, 02:53 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
Allen[_3_]

Frank ess wrote:
snip

int bowser 2
http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/116995126

Don't get me started on animal abuse, pretentiousness, arrogance,
self-consciousness.

You don't know much about dogs, do you? I've never known a dog that
didn't love to have its head in the slipstream.

And speaking of pretentiousness--what a perfect example you created with
your seemingly endless post!

Allen
Old September 30th 09, 08:25 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
Frank ess

"Allen" wrote in message
Frank ess wrote:
snip

int bowser 2
http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/116995126

Don't get me started on animal abuse, pretentiousness, arrogance,
self-consciousness.

You don't know much about dogs, do you? I've never known a dog that
didn't love to have its head in the slipstream.

And speaking of pretentiousness--what a perfect example you created
with your seemingly endless post!

Allen

Thank you. It's a dirty job, but since there isn't a surfeit of
volunteers, I accepted the challenge. Glad to see you appreciated it.
Which of the uninteresting "Interesting" submissions was yours? None
of them? Well, put up a URL and I'll do a definitely endful post about
it. Fair?

I know a good deal about dogs, and even more about how the laws of
physics generate consequences to living beings' flesh envelopes in
moving vehicle accidents. Someone is going to mention that it seems
the dog is strapped to the lady. Even worse; not only does the dog get
to leave its skin on the pavement, it gets squished. (Raspberry sound)

--
Frank ess
Qui me amat, amat et canem meam