Where to start.....

Old August 31st 04, 10:49 PM
Basic Wedge

Zach. I'll tell you right up front, I'm not a big fan of 50mm lenses. Being
so close to normal human vision, they don't offer a very compelling
perspective. I too have a 28-105mm zoom, and a 50/f1.4. The zoom covers that
focal length anyway, so the 50mm seldom comes out of the bag.

My advice is go long or go wide. Put your money toward a good, long zoom (to
at least 200mm, or better still, 300mm) or get a nice wide angle (24mm, or
better still, a 20mm). Any shots you take within these ranges will have more
visual impact than a 50mm could ever provide.

Rob

Old September 2nd 04, 01:31 AM
Zach Edwardson

Alex Wilde wrote in message ...
In message , Zach
Edwardson writes

Now a few questions, ok, a little more then a few, but I do thank you
in advance for any input..

Should the 50/1.4 be my next lens?

What about getting the 50 f/1.8, and spending the difference on a
tripod, as you don't mention owning one. An absolute must for landscape
shots, IMHO.

Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Autofocus Lens $ 74.95

vs.

Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Autofocus Lens $ 309.95

The difference, $235, should get you something decent from Bogen /
Manfrotto.

Thanks for the tips, you guys and the price have sold me that if i do
get a EF 50mm lens, its going to be the 1.8

BTW, it turned out to be a good setup - walmart development, no tripod
and i ended up with this
http://www.picturetrail.com/distorted_humor

which has made me quite happy. As a another question, I might get a
film scanner as it will save me money in the long run, what is a nice
effective scanner (it can be used and found on ebay, I am now on a
budget!) that can do both 35mm and slides?

once agian, thanks for all your great replies, it has helped me out
nicely.