Punography comments from Calvin Sambrook

Old May 12th 09, 08:11 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Calvin Sambrook

Default Punography comments from Calvin Sambrook

"tony cooper" wrote in message
On Mon, 11 May 2009 12:32:13 +0100, "Calvin Sambrook"
wrote:

Puns-Dont Be A Horses Ass-Cooper.jpg: I think this is probably a good
photo
in its own right but is spoiled by the mandate if you see what I mean.
Without the symbol it's got nice composition and the shooting angle
certainly grabs the attention!

Puns-Horse Of A Different Color-Cooper.jpg: Wonderful. I love this shot.
The choice of recolour, having the head on the major third and the offset
framing within the frame all work to draw my eye in and grab my attention.
Well done.

I like this photo
http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/photos...26_VCfu3-L.jpg , taken at
the same stable, better. This horse was not as easy to color, though,
so I whipped one off of the white one. (Not the same white horse as
the one in the field)

I'm humbled! Both of those are excellent photos. Did you just snap what
was there or what? In particular how is this second shot lit? It looks as
if you've got light from inside the stable especially on those bars.

Puns-Straight From The Horses Mouth-Cooper.jpg: This did nothing for me
I'm
afraid. The bridle in the top left is distracting as is the diagonal crop
(what's going on there?). There's just not any visual interest, nothing
pull me in.

It's not really a diagonal crop. When I was shooting the white horse
in the field, another horse had his muzzle under the lowest fence bar
and was munching grass from the other side. He had his head twisted
to do so. I couldn't think of a way, pictorially, to convey "the
grass is greener on the other side", so I noticed the one blade
sticking almost straight up. I did line it up a little in post. The
halter, not the bridle, was included to make it clear it was a horse.
With tighter cropping, I wasn't sure it would be recognizable.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

Old May 12th 09, 08:16 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Calvin Sambrook

"Mike Benveniste" wrote in message
On Mon, 11 May 2009 12:32:13 +0100, Calvin Sambrook wrote:

Pun_Mike_Benveniste.jpg: I quite like this shot as a piece of art in
itself. The nice crisp subject and the use of two very plain
backgrounds works.

Thanks for the kind words. Looking at it again, I got lazy on
the shadows on the easel.

I cant imagine what the pun is though.

Does it help to know that the spiky thing is an oriental fruit called
a Durian? I guess I just took a walk on the Wilde side.

--
Michael Benveniste -- (Clarification required)
Legalize Updoc.

That's brilliant. It's a shame it'll be worse each time I look at it
though, mind you there's a piece of fruit somewhere having a really good
time.

Don't beat yourself up about the shadows, no one else will even notice them!

Old May 12th 09, 08:40 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Calvin Sambrook

"Paul Furman" wrote in message
Calvin Sambrook wrote:

....snip...

Punography Calvin Sambrook.jpg: Mine of course and I'm not at all happy.
The basic concept has sort of worked but I wanted to produce something
with strong lines down though the legs, arms and rope. Failed. I would
have liked a more obvious look to the model's clothing. Without giving
the pun away that is supposed to be a pirate's outfit but I don't think
it's worked, I think we should have gone for a stereotyped "pirate
costume". I'm also still not sure about my choice of background. I used
this because it was sort of neutral while still looking like a street but
now I look again it's simply too cluttered with tiny detail, I think I'd
of been better off with someone's fence or something. On the good side I
did at least manage to get the important bits on thirds which has helped
a bit and Anna, my model, has sort of managed to look like she's pulling
pack against being dragged along.

It's a charming photo, I still don't get it though...
You must be in the UK, judging from the garden g.

Anna has always been desperate for a pet and now we have one called "Plank".
Plank doesn't get much excersise having been in the woodstore for quite some
time so he really needed a walk. Anna needed to dress as a pirate so she
could go ...

Walking the Plank

You're right about the UK. The garden is actually a neighbour's and I don't
think they could quite get their heads around why I was taking photos of
Anna dressed like that and holding a lump of wood on a rope. I suspect they
just think I'm mad!

....snip...

pun-Paul-Furman-2008-edgehill.net.jpg: Wow. This would probably of been
a nothingy, boring snap but the added blur works to really give it punch.
I like the composition and the sharpness and texture in the bricks (look
at the original size). Must admit though - I can't look at it for too
long as it makes me feel ill !
"Blurring the boundaries" by any chance?

I'll confess now that it's an archive from this past autumn.
'Tilt/Shift'
The ancient native American stone walls and geology have tilted & shifted
over the centuries, the focal plane is tilted with a T/S lens, 85/2.8
Nikkor, Chaco Canyon, New Mexico. I seldom do this extreme of a tilt but
the scene justifies it and I kind of like the dreamy shaman look. The
right edge should be cropped out though, the colors turn all dark brown &
mushy.

I just assumed you added the blur in post production, I'm well impressed to
find you did it in the camera. I like it even more now I know that!

Old May 12th 09, 08:46 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Paul Furman

Calvin Sambrook wrote:
"Mike Benveniste" wrote in message
On Mon, 11 May 2009 12:32:13 +0100, Calvin Sambrook wrote:

Pun_Mike_Benveniste.jpg: I quite like this shot as a piece of art in
itself. The nice crisp subject and the use of two very plain
backgrounds works.

Thanks for the kind words. Looking at it again, I got lazy on
the shadows on the easel.

I cant imagine what the pun is though.

Does it help to know that the spiky thing is an oriental fruit called
a Durian? I guess I just took a walk on the Wilde side.

--
Michael Benveniste -- (Clarification required)
Legalize Updoc.

That's brilliant.

Ha, yes, very good!

www.edgehill.net
www.baynatives.com

Old May 13th 09, 03:32 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Tony Cooper

On Tue, 12 May 2009 20:11:56 +0100, "Calvin Sambrook"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

Thank you. Just daylight. The two stall windows were at opposite
ends of the building, and the sun just illuminated the interior of the
darker horse's stall more.

Just a quick personal story...when my daughter was a young teenager, I
got her interested in photography by taking her somewhere and saying
"Find a photograph here". Rather than taking her to a photographic
opportunity, I pushed her into making an opportunity out of any
location. She's an avid photographer now.

I used this same philosophy on the mandate. I stopped at the stable
and said to myself "find the shots here". That's why they are all
three horse photos. I always shoot for the mandate rather than pick
photos from past shots that fit the mandate.

It's not really a diagonal crop. When I was shooting the white horse
in the field, another horse had his muzzle under the lowest fence bar
and was munching grass from the other side. He had his head twisted
to do so. I couldn't think of a way, pictorially, to convey "the
grass is greener on the other side",

At least it inspired Annika to come in with one.

Old May 14th 09, 06:26 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Tony Cooper

On Wed, 13 May 2009 07:07:55 -0700 (PDT), Annika1980
wrote:

On May 12, 10:32*pm, tony cooper wrote:

It's not really a diagonal crop. *When I was shooting the white horse
in the field, another horse had his muzzle under the lowest fence bar
and was munching grass from the other side. *He had his head twisted
to do so. *I couldn't think of a way, pictorially, to convey "the
grass is greener on the other side",

At least it inspired Annika to come in with one.

Actually, not.
This is the first time I've read your comments.
I did shoot my horse pic for the mandate, but decided not to submit it
because it didn't really fit the mandate since it wasn't a pun.

Sure you did.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida