Which basic graduated ND filter?

Old September 27th 04, 09:45 PM
Colin Jones

Default Which basic graduated ND filter?

Hi - I have seen recommendations on the most basic filters you need.
One of these is to have a graduated neutral density filter.

Unfortunately there appear to be various different styles - for
example the Cokin page here http://www.cokin.com/ico3-p6-8.html has
five different '121' filters.

Which would be the best general purpose graduated filter if you were
only buying one? (Or do you need more than one?)

Cheers.
Colin.
Old September 27th 04, 11:50 PM
me

I recommend the Hitech hard edge .6ND grad. It fits the Cokin P holder and
measures 85mm x 107mm. This is a more useful size than the 85mm square
Cokin ND grad because you can shift the filter up or down to better fit the
scene.

Hitech filters: http://www.2filter.com/prices/htpackages.html

Hitech and Cokin at B&H:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=14&Submit.y=8

How to article on ND grad filters: http://www.photofocus.com/zine2/zine9.htm

om...

Old September 28th 04, 02:49 AM
David Hardin

I also use the Hitech grad ND's. I have 2 & 3 stop hard and soft edge.
Frequently find myself using 2+3 in combination. I'm satisfied with the
quality and think the larger size works well.

Old September 28th 04, 01:44 PM
Bandicoot

"Colin Jones" wrote in message
om...
Hi - I have seen recommendations on the most basic filters you need.
One of these is to have a graduated neutral density filter.

Unfortunately there appear to be various different styles - for
example the Cokin page here http://www.cokin.com/ico3-p6-8.html has
five different '121' filters.

Which would be the best general purpose graduated filter if you were
only buying one? (Or do you need more than one?)

I don't particularly recommend the Cokin ones - they seem not entirely
neutral in colour to me - though they're easy and cheap to find used, so
this might be a good way to experiment and see what you find most useful.
HiTech is a much better low cost maker, and Kood are very cheap but I think
still a little better than Cokin. Singh Ray and Lee are the Rolls Royce
versions. Sinar also makes these, in a couple of sizes, and these can be
found used.

Really it is useful to have more than one, but you could start with one and
experiment. The Cokin range seems a bit confusing to me: most manufacturers
have a simpler scheme that has ND values of .3 .6 and .9 which equal a one,
two and three stop difference (and some makers also have the half stop
values in between) and make them in hard and soft 'cut' versions.

Which one you want really depends on the scene, but I find a .6ND hard cut
is probably the one I use most often - though if I had a .45ND I might use
that one more. The hard cut is actually slightly easier to use than the
soft transition, though it won't help much if you have a very irregular
horizon line.

When using an ND grad., be sure to stop the lens down to the taking aperture
while you adjust the filter up and down in the holder: the 'right' position
varies with aperture so if you set it with the lens wide open it is likely
to come out in the wrong place on the final frame.

Singh Ray has reproduced a very helpful article on this by Galen Rowell on
their website at:

http://www.singh-ray.com/srgnd2.html

Hope this helps,

peter

Old September 29th 04, 01:48 PM
Jim

"David Hardin" wrote in message m...
I also use HiTech, I have 2 stop hard and soft and 1 stop soft. If I
was onlt getting one I'd start with the 2 stop soft.