More Hollywood misrepresentation of the law and photogs

Old April 19th 21, 10:47 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Neil[_9_]

Default More Hollywood misrepresentation of the law and photogs

On 4/19/2021 3:57 AM, RichA wrote:
The TV show, "The Rookie" shows cops arresting a photographer who was:
-On a public sidewalk.
-Shooting a picture of someone on a street.

The woman in question had been receiving notes from someone, not threatening so one more reason they had no legal right to arrest anyone.

.

What's "legal" got to do with it?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/police-in-minnesota-round-up-journalists-covering-protest-force-them-on-the-ground-and-take-pictures-of-their-faces/ar-BB1fLgmf

--
best regards,

Neil
Old April 19th 21, 02:39 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill W

On Apr 19, 2021, Neil wrote
(in article ):

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/po...journalists-co
vering-protest-force-them-on-the-ground-and-take-pictures-of-their-faces/ar-BB
1fLgmf

What makes one a journalist? Can’t anyone just say he is? I would suspect
that at least some rioters have decided they are immune to arrest if they
just use a badge saying “journalist”. How many fake credentials are out
there? On top of that, I’m sure the authorities feel even the legit press
is firing up the crowds. So they’re ****ed.

Old April 19th 21, 03:23 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Neil[_9_]

On 4/19/2021 9:39 AM, Bill W wrote:
On Apr 19, 2021, Neil wrote
(in article ):

[...]

What about any of that makes their actions legal?

I doubt that a CNN producer, who was part of that group, would have
difficulty proving his legitimacy as a journalist.

--
best regards,

Neil
Old April 19th 21, 06:47 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill W

On Apr 19, 2021, Neil wrote
(in article ):

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/po...up-journalists
-co
vering-protest-force-them-on-the-ground-and-take-pictures-of-their-faces/ar
-BB
1fLgmf

What makes one a journalist? Can’t anyone just say he is? I would suspect
that at least some rioters have decided they are immune to arrest if they
just use a badge saying “journalist”. How many fake credentials are out
there? On top of that, I’m sure the authorities feel even the legit press
is firing up the crowds. So they’re ****ed.

What about any of that makes their actions legal?

I’m not taking sides here, I’m just saying that the police do not have to
treat as a journalist someone representing himself as a journalist, if he is
not really a journalist. And they do have a right to confirm his claims. The
whole issue of press credentials seems a bit murky in the first place. The
people running events or the police supposedly issue credentials, but how do
you issue credentials for a riot? Things aren’t always black and white.
This really is something I have always wondered about. Why can’t I just
carry an expensive camera, claim I’m a journalist, and get access I
wouldn’t normally get to places? And there is a website - one of the first
search hits - that just issues “press cards”. Pay some money, and
you’re in. They look official.

Old April 20th 21, 12:15 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article ,
RichA wrote:

If someone does interfere with an arrest or investigation, arrest them. But
if it's just a photog following the law, not in the way, not egging on (like
some of the supporters of scummy criminals we see)
then there is no reason for a cop to go after them.

yes there is.

they might photograph the cop doing something they shouldn't be doing,
which could go viral, resulting in the cop being suspended and/or face
criminal charges.

it's also why cops have been known to 'forget' to turn on their own
body cameras or 'mistakenly' turn them off.

assuming they have body cameras, that is. police unions do not want
them, for reasons that should be obvious.
https://news.wttw.com/2018/01/08/why...fighting-city-
over-body-cameras
Last month, the Chicago Police Department announced a goal
achieved one year ahead of schedule: outfitting all of its patrol
officers with body cameras.

But the Fraternal Order of Police * the union representing the bulk
of Chicagos 12,000 rank-and-file police officers * is fighting the
measure.
Old April 20th 21, 05:40 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
geoff

On 20/04/2021 5:47 am, Bill W wrote:
On Apr 19, 2021, Neil wrote
(in article ):

[...]

That pretty weak reasoning. Sounds like clutching at straws to justify
your rather tenuous claims.

geoff
Old April 20th 21, 06:05 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill W

On Apr 19, 2021, geoff wrote
(in ):

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/po...d-up-journalis
[...]