LCD Resolution

Old March 6th 07, 02:24 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Magnusfarce

Default LCD Resolution

I want to upgrade my old LCD monitor to something newer and better, with
more emphasis on graphics quality than on gaming (speed). This is a work
machine, but I will be using it for photo and video viewing and editing as
well.
My question is this: monitors like the Viewsonic VP2030b offer much higher
resolution (1600 x 1200) than my old display (1280 x 1024), and I imagine
that I will have trouble working with Excel, Word, etc. at such high
resolutions. My understanding is that if I operate the new monitor at less
than its native resolution, graphics quality will suffer. I suppose that I
could switch back and forth, but I'd rather not. BTW, if it's a matter of
graphics processing power, I have a big CPU with a powerful graphics card
(eVGA 7800GT CO). Is it utterly pointless to buy a high rez monitor and
operate it at lower resolutions?

- Magnusfarce

Old March 6th 07, 03:13 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David J Taylor

Magnusfarce wrote:
[...]

Magnusfarce,

I found that during the first couple of days with my new 20-inch 1600 x
1200 Dell monitor, I was not as comfortable as with the 19-inch 1280 x
1024 display I had been using before. But it's OK now.

If your eyesight requires it, I would suggest trying out a monitor in the
shop before purchase. I am a glasses wearer and sit about 56cm from the
screen.

Cheers,
David

Old March 6th 07, 05:42 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
gowanoh

Under XP you can arrange for screen fonts to display larger regardless of
overall screen resolution. This will not affect graphic image processing.

Old March 6th 07, 06:02 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Magnusfarce

Thanks. I can find some of those controls for the desktop, etc., but is
there a global way to make all the apps do the same?

BTW, are you talking about the DPI settings under Settings/Advanced? I
haven't tried that yet, but I will.

- Magnusfarce (OP)

Old March 6th 07, 06:51 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

On Mar 6, 9:24 am, "Magnusfarce" wrote:
I want to upgrade my old LCD monitor to something newer and better, with
more emphasis on graphics quality than on gaming (speed). This is a work
machine, but I will be using it for photo and video viewing and editing as
well.
My question is this: monitors like the Viewsonic VP2030b offer much higher
resolution (1600 x 1200) than my old display (1280 x 1024), and I imagine
that I will have trouble working with Excel, Word, etc. at such high
resolutions. My understanding is that if I operate the new monitor at less
than its native resolution, graphics quality will suffer.

You're right, LCD monitors can't really operate at a setting other
than their native resolution. Still, based on the VP2030b model
number, I guess the new monitor is 20", right? That's definitely big
enough to run 1600x1200. This resolution would indeed be too high on,
for example, a 15" laptop screen. But 20" shouldn't be a problem.

Also, I wouldn't be worried about Excel and Word specifically. In both
those programs it's very easy to adjust at what magnification you're
seeing the document, so if the font is too small for you, you can zoom
in to 125% or 150% or whatever.

I would suggest going to your local computer store and finding a
display model computer with a 1600x1200 20" screen. Play around with
it in the store and see if the resolution works for you.

-Gniewko

Old March 7th 07, 10:56 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bucky

On Mar 6, 6:24 am, "Magnusfarce" wrote:
My question is this: monitors like the Viewsonic VP2030b offer much higher
resolution (1600 x 1200) than my old display (1280 x 1024), and I imagine
that I will have trouble working with Excel, Word, etc. at such high
resolutions. My understanding is that if I operate the new monitor at less
than its native resolution, graphics quality will suffer.

Well, for graphics editing, of course higher resolution is better. But
for regular office apps, not necessarily.

Is it utterly pointless to buy a high rez monitor and
operate it at lower resolutions?

for LCDs, yeah. although if your goal is to be able to sit farther
away from the monitor, it could still be useful to get a larger lcd
monitor and run at non-native resolution. since you're sitting further
away, the bluriness will not be as apparent.