No Subject

Old November 3rd 05, 12:00 AM

Default No Subject

From: jimnjen not home NOSPAM yahoo
Subject: size of camera
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Wed, 02 Nov 2005 20:44:53 -0600

"Michael McCarthy" wrote:

Hi,
I wish to purchase a digital camera. The final prints will be in black and
white and be 11x14 (approximately) and museum quality prints (archival inks
on an epson printer). What size of megapixel camera should I purchase? How
do you figure that out?
Thanks in advance,
Michael

Museum quality at 11x14? Big! I can get decent 11x14's out of my 6.1
MP but they are not museum quality or anything close. Others have given
you the calculations. Even given all that, I have yet to see a BW
inkjet print that has wowed me the way well produced silver/gelatin does.
Epson's newest printers are getting close, but still no cigar in my
book,
I gave up even trying to do B&W in digital. My work wasn't even worth
a web page and searching the internet has not shown me anything great
either.. nice compositions, technically perfect, but BW digital is still
a Holy Grail and I have not found it and I have not found any one else
who has. Someone prove me wrong!
Go see an 11x14 made from a large negative (i.e., 2 1/4 or better yet
4x5 or 8x10) and none of the best cameras from Kodak, Canon or Nikon can
touch it. Pre digital, few people thought that an 35mm camera could make
a museum quality 11x14... and the worst 35mm film has a better
resolution than any digital on the market today. I will temper that, worst
film by the major manufacturers
So if you want digital 11x14, buy the highest resolution digital on the
market today, or save a ton of money, and buy a used Hasselbad film
camera.

--
Jim