Canon A70, A75, S230 can record 3 minutes video at 640 x 480 withhacked firmware

Old January 6th 05, 02:51 AM
tomcas

Default Canon A70, A75, S230 can record 3 minutes video at 640 x 480 withhacked firmware

Canon A70, A75, S230 can record 3 minutes video at 640 x 480 after
applying this firmware hack. Without it you are limited to 30 seconds.
I just flashed the firmware on my A70 after tweaking the standard
factory firmware file per the instructions and it worked like a champ.
No dropped frames or filled buffer with a standard 256MB SanDisk.
Thanks jplauril.

http://nostromo.dynalias.org/canonhacking/
Old January 6th 05, 03:04 AM
Tom

"tomcas" wrote in message ...
Canon A70, A75, S230 can record 3 minutes video at 640 x 480 after
applying this firmware hack. Without it you are limited to 30 seconds.
I just flashed the firmware on my A70 after tweaking the standard
factory firmware file per the instructions and it worked like a champ.
No dropped frames or filled buffer with a standard 256MB SanDisk.
Thanks jplauril.

http://nostromo.dynalias.org/canonhacking/

Fantastic! Now if only someone could hack the S1 to record videos
over 1GB.....

BTW I get a login prompt on this page. Am I missing anything by
not logging in?

Tom

Old January 6th 05, 03:43 AM
tomcas

Tom wrote:
"tomcas" wrote in message ...

Canon A70, A75, S230 can record 3 minutes video at 640 x 480 after
applying this firmware hack. Without it you are limited to 30 seconds.
I just flashed the firmware on my A70 after tweaking the standard
factory firmware file per the instructions and it worked like a champ.
No dropped frames or filled buffer with a standard 256MB SanDisk.
Thanks jplauril.

http://nostromo.dynalias.org/canonhacking/

Fantastic! Now if only someone could hack the S1 to record videos
over 1GB.....

BTW I get a login prompt on this page. Am I missing anything by
not logging in?

Nope,You will not miss anything. I have the A70 already hacked firmware
if anyone needs it.

Tom

Old January 6th 05, 06:25 PM
Edwin Bont

Please upload a file. (that guy is so paranoid).

Old January 6th 05, 06:25 PM
Edwin Bont

Please upload a file. (that guy is so paranoid).

Old January 6th 05, 09:35 PM
cambium

What is the reason for limiting video? Someone said it was because some
designs of sensors are not supposed to be exposed to light for too long a
period - can this be true?

Old January 7th 05, 12:34 AM
tomcas

cambium wrote:
What is the reason for limiting video? Someone said it was because some
designs of sensors are not supposed to be exposed to light for too long a
period - can this be true?

Maybe, but I doubt it.
1) These models can already record 3 minutes video from the factory
albeit at lower resolution.
2) Only the individual clips are time limited. As soon as the clip is
stored, which is only a couple of seconds with a fast card, you can
immediately begin recording again.
3) Other models using the same sensor can record from 11 minutes at even
higher frame rates to over an hour at lower resolutions at a clip.
4) Taking a picture of say for instance the sun or a intensely bright
light would be even much more damaging, yet it does not seem so.
5) Movie cameras and high end web cams can operate continuously, yet
utilize the same type sensors.
6) Many of these cameras can function as web cams by design for
unlimited durations.

Old January 7th 05, 07:30 AM
cambium

All your points make good sense - I agree it can't be the reason I was
told.

So... why can the Canon S1 IS take unlimited (to card max) high quality
video, while the Nikon 8080 is limited to one minute? I can see no obvious
explanation.