Corel announces PaintShop Pro X5 - DPReview

Old September 11th 12, 12:03 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

Default Corel announces PaintShop Pro X5 - DPReview

On Mon, 10 Sep 2012 17:55:34 -0400, Alan Browne
wrote:

On 2012.09.10 06:23 , Eric Stevens wrote:

If you can read the headers in the thread, please tell me where I am
wrong.

Eric, I think you've banged your head out enough on this one. Your
facts are clear and right.

Trevor's pomposity is only exceeded by his poor netiquette and evasion
of the truth.

I agree. I'd shut up until Michael Adams put in his pennyworth. I've
realised there is another way to tell what has been going on and I've
posted on that subject. As far as I am concerned, having done that,
I'm finished.

Eric Stevens
Old September 11th 12, 12:09 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne

wrote:

On 2012.09.10 06:23 , Eric Stevens wrote:

If you can read the headers in the thread, please tell me where I am
wrong.

Eric, I think you've banged your head out enough on this one. Your
facts are clear and right.

Trevor's pomposity is only exceeded by his poor netiquette and evasion
of the truth.

I agree. I'd shut up until Michael Adams put in his pennyworth.

I think Michael was just trying to be helpful and likely hadn't
witnessed the ugly beginning.

I've
realised there is another way to tell what has been going on and I've
posted on that subject. As far as I am concerned, having done that,
I'm finished.

Phew - then ignore my other post.

--
"C'mon boys, you're not laying pipe!".
-John Keating.
Old September 11th 12, 12:36 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Mon, 10 Sep 2012 17:33:28 +1200, Eric Stevens
wrote:

On Sun, 09 Sep 2012 19:56:23 -0400, PeterN
wrote:

--- snip ---

Actually, I have just installed Paint Shop Pro X5. I have only dabbled
with it but it looks as though it might be starting to cover some of
Photo Shop's ground. The RAW conversion has worked very well so far
but I do miss the entirely non-destructive editing of NX2.

So far I'm quite impressed. There are lots of functions which enable
me to do all kinds of useful things. My only comment so far is that
just as Photoshop tends to give it's own characteristic 'look' to an
image, so too does Paint Shop Pro and I think this is a little too
easily overdone.

Eric Stevens
Old September 11th 12, 12:36 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Trevor[_2_]

"Eric Stevens" wrote in message
news
On Mon, 10 Sep 2012 09:45:33 +1000, "Trevor" wrote:
"Eric Stevens" wrote in message
. ..

So you don't actually read what is written, only the headers? I guess
that
explains it then. Seems like a very weird passtime though!

You are flanneling. The evidence of the headers is that you responded
to the wrong article and now you are trying to say that the postman
should ignore the address and pay attention only to the presumed
intent of the author.

I responded to the THREAD, I included NOTHING from you. Get over
yourself!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you genuinely believe that, and from the intensity of your reply
you seem to, either you have missed an article or you are suffering
from one of the bugs to which Outlook Express is prone.

Did you in fact see all the articles which I mentioned when I set out
the relationship between the various message IDs and the references
set out in the headers?

Did you actually read what I wrote?

Trevor.

Old September 11th 12, 12:43 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Trevor[_2_]

"michael adams" wrote in message

[...]

In his original reply Tevor was responding directly to the OP.
There was nothing in his original reply to indicate that
he'd even read your post.

This fact is obvious to everyone excepting yourself it would
seem.

This is Usenet, and believe it or not, nobody is forced to
respond to any other particular poster's messages if they don't
want to. That includes your posts. Freedom of expression
doesn't automatically confer a right of audience.

This has nothing to do with Outlook Express or any other
NewsReader for that matter. On the other hand it might well
be, that users of particular NewsServers might experience
delays in recieving messages at certain times.
Perhaps you're confusing the two.

michael adams

Thank you, I'm glad someone gets it.
What I'm puzzled by is how much effort Eric goes to to keep this issue going
when it seems entirely unimportant to me, and the rest of usenet I'm sure.

Trevor.

Old September 11th 12, 01:02 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
PeterN

wrote:

On 9/9/2012 5:32 PM, Mayayana wrote:
| There is no link between amorality and the
| ability to get away with
| what you call 'price gouging'.

No. I said their prices are exploitively high because
they're amoral *and* they can get away with it.

| It was long ago pointed out to me that
| there is no link between the cost of production
| and the price at which you can sell an object....
| I don't blame them.
| --

So whatever anyone can get away with.... You
respect them for that? There's no such thing as
price gouging? In that case, can I interest you in a
glass of water? I'm running
a special today for New Zealanders. Only 7 easy
payments of $79.99 each. (Plus shipping and handling,
processing fee, single order adjustment fee, currency
translation fee, and parcel insurance fee.)

Is buying the program a matter of life % death.
If no, competitive forces in the marketplace will adjust prices.

Actually, I have just installed Paint Shop Pro X5. I have only dabbled
with it but it looks as though it might be starting to cover some of
Photo Shop's ground. The RAW conversion has worked very well so far
but I do miss the entirely non-destructive editing of NX2.

I occasionally dabble with Corel Painter. I get some interesting
effects, and the program dos most of the work.

--
Peter
Old September 11th 12, 01:03 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
PeterN

On 9/10/2012 2:28 AM, Wolfgang Weisselberg wrote:
PeterN wrote:

Is buying the program a matter of life % death.

Considering that one more or less needs, say, Office, to read
all the stuff customers send one ... it may well be life or death
for a company, and food or depending on charity for an individual.

MS provides free readers.
WordPerfect reads MS files, just fine,

If no, competitive forces in the marketplace will adjust prices.

Always assuming the marketplace has the semblance of a level
field or at least an angled plane one could climb up on ...

-Wolfgang

--
Peter
Old September 11th 12, 11:58 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

--------Sun,-09-Sep-2012-16: 45:31 -0700 (PDT)
From: "Trevor"
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Subject: Corel announces PaintShop Pro X5 - DPReview
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2012 09:45:33 +1000

Eric Stevens
Old September 11th 12, 02:18 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Wolfgang Weisselberg

PeterN wrote:

Is buying the program a matter of life % death.

Considering that one more or less needs, say, Office, to read
all the stuff customers send one ... it may well be life or death
for a company, and food or depending on charity for an individual.

MS provides free readers.
WordPerfect reads MS files, just fine,

For both you need to buy Windows.
And I doubt WordPerfect can read every Office file.

Microsoft used the Windows monopoly to force people to buy MS-DOS
(instead of any other DOS), using spurious error messages.
This was illegal, as the courts judged.

Now it uses it's file format monopoly to force people to buy
Windows.

-Wolfgang
Old September 11th 12, 02:19 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Wolfgang Weisselberg

Eric Stevens wrote:
On Mon, 10 Sep 2012 08:23:26 +0200, Wolfgang Weisselberg
Eric Stevens wrote:

Of course there is such a thing as price gouging. The point is that if
you sell at too large a margin above cost you leave room for someone
to come in underneath you. What both MS and Adobe have done is so
shape the market it is not possible for someone to easily slip in
underneath them.

What about a company that constantly takes decisions that are
detrimental to it's users and customers but help cementing their
position as a quasi-monopoly?

What would that be called?

Microsoft?

So you say that Microsoft is a bad thing for their users and
consumers?

-Wolfgang