Corel announces PaintShop Pro X5 - DPReview

Old September 9th 12, 04:42 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Mayayana

Default Corel announces PaintShop Pro X5 - DPReview

| I don't mind them asking me to pay what they think its worth to me.
| The problem is that they seem to think it's worth twice as much to
| most of the world as it is to residents of the US. I object to having
| to pay (sometimes much) more that US$1000 when I know that if I lived
| in the US I could buy it from Amazon for between US$500 and US$600. I
| know they are ripping me off and I resent that.

You're very forgiving. By those standards, if
you're stuck in the desert and a man with a
tanker truck full of water offers you a glass in
exchange for all of your belongings, you'd consider
that fair... just so long as he doesn't give a
similar glass of water to someone else for less.

I try to take the approach of simply not doing
business with people who exploit others out of
greed. That's the only way to stop them. MS Office
and PS/CS* are absurdly priced simply because
they're amoral operations and they can get away
with price gouging.

Old September 9th 12, 05:35 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Wolfgang Weisselberg

nospam wrote:
In article , Wolfgang
Weisselberg wrote:
nospam wrote:

I typically use contrast/brightness/saturation/hue/
cutting and patching selections/ etc. To my mind something
like a higher quality contrast or brightness function would
be notable, if such a thing is even possible. (I'm not so
sure it is. Those functions are plain math.)

actually it's more than just math.

It is? What else is it --- living pixies, kept in slavery?

the point is that it changed. the math for brightness/contrast in
pre-cs3 is different than cs3 and later.

THE POINT IS that *you* claimed "it's more than just math" and
now *you* backpaddle like mad and agree that it is JUST math.

-Wolfgang
Old September 9th 12, 05:41 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Wolfgang Weisselberg

Eric Stevens wrote:
On Thu, 6 Sep 2012 20:29:22 +0200, Wolfgang Weisselberg
wrote:

Alan Browne wrote:
On 2012.09.05[36] 14:40 , Bruce wrote:
Corel has announced PaintShop Pro X5, the latest version of its photo

Gimp is better.

Especially when it runs on the machine, but PaintShop does not.

What machine are you referring to?

The difference between the group of hardware and software The
Gimp can run on and the group of hardware and software PaintShop
runs on.

-Wolfgang
Old September 9th 12, 06:02 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Wolfgang Weisselberg

Mayayana wrote:

I suppose I should be grateful that my frying pan, my
power drill, and my pants are not all similarly priced on the
basis of how useful they are to me, rather than on the basis
of what they cost to produce.

They are not priced on the basis of production costs.
They are priced on what the market will bear.

-Wolfgang
Old September 9th 12, 06:52 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Wolfgang Weisselberg

David J. Littleboy wrote:

Adobe and Microsoft and Apple all run local operations in each country as
independent companies responsible for local sales and service. And their
head offices only service the US market. And Amazon won't ship software,
cars, or breakfast cereals to Japan (or other countries).

http://preview.tinyurl.com/9q544bu
http://preview.tinyurl.com/9knnnym
http://preview.tinyurl.com/9etdenj
http://preview.tinyurl.com/8u9gcom

That's Germany.

http://preview.tinyurl.com/8tqlx32
http://preview.tinyurl.com/8cdxrl8

That's Japan.

OK, no software in Japan (except for maybe magazines with
DVDs) and cars aren't the ones you'd commute to work with
either ...

.... but you apparently can get breakfast cereals.

Yep, you might want to use your local amazon.COUNTRY site.

-Wolfgang
Old September 9th 12, 07:01 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Wolfgang Weisselberg

PeterN wrote:

Razor blades cost more than a razor.

Yet they are priced so that they're marginally cheaper than buying
a new razor with blades, at least in the per blade cost.

A piece of copper wire is not very expensive. Neither is a glob of
silicone. Both are components of the cheap computer.

Only if said computer's implanted in the female breast.
Otherwise they prefer sand.

Oh, and the dexterious Japanese schoolgirls needed to delicately
thread the copper through the silicon in the convoluted paths
needed to capture and hold the computrons need to be paid, too ---
which means there's more cost than just the raw materials.

The cloth for your pants costs much less than your pants.

Wear cloth instead of pants.

Last time I
looked, chickens aren't paid for their eggs.

But they are. No eggs, no food, no survival.

-Wolfgang
Old September 9th 12, 07:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Wolfgang Weisselberg

Eric Stevens wrote:
On Fri, 7 Sep 2012 17:15:22 +1000, "Trevor" wrote:
"Eric Stevens" wrote in message

If you go back up the thread and have a look at the headers you will
see:

[...]

So you don't actually read what is written, only the headers? I guess that
explains it then. Seems like a very weird passtime though!

You are flanneling. The evidence of the headers is that you responded
to the wrong article and now you are trying to say that the postman
should ignore the address and pay attention only to the presumed
intent of the author.

What did you expect? It's Trevor! If you throw clues his way,
he thinks the idea is to lob them right back over the net.

-Wolfgang
Old September 9th 12, 10:04 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Sun, 9 Sep 2012 11:42:52 -0400, "Mayayana"
wrote:

| I don't mind them asking me to pay what they think its worth to me.
| The problem is that they seem to think it's worth twice as much to
| most of the world as it is to residents of the US. I object to having
| to pay (sometimes much) more that US$1000 when I know that if I lived
| in the US I could buy it from Amazon for between US$500 and US$600. I
| know they are ripping me off and I resent that.

You're very forgiving. By those standards, if
you're stuck in the desert and a man with a
tanker truck full of water offers you a glass in
exchange for all of your belongings, you'd consider
that fair... just so long as he doesn't give a
similar glass of water to someone else for less.

They might get away with that only if they had the only tanker full of
water in the desert.

I try to take the approach of simply not doing
business with people who exploit others out of
greed. That's the only way to stop them. MS Office
and PS/CS* are absurdly priced simply because
they're amoral operations and they can get away
with price gouging.

There is no link between amorality and the ability to get away with
what you call 'price gouging'. It was long ago pointed out to me that
there is no link between the cost of production and the price at which
you can sell an object. Price is a matter of how you position yourself
in the market and in their own separate ways Microsoft and Adobe have
positioned themselves very well. I don't like it but (except for the
early years of Microsoft) I don't blame them.

Eric Stevens
Old September 9th 12, 10:32 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Mayayana

| There is no link between amorality and the
| ability to get away with
| what you call 'price gouging'.

No. I said their prices are exploitively high because
they're amoral *and* they can get away with it.

| It was long ago pointed out to me that
| there is no link between the cost of production
| and the price at which you can sell an object....
| I don't blame them.
| --

So whatever anyone can get away with.... You
respect them for that? There's no such thing as
price gouging? In that case, can I interest you in a
glass of water? I'm running
a special today for New Zealanders. Only 7 easy
payments of $79.99 each. (Plus shipping and handling,
processing fee, single order adjustment fee, currency
translation fee, and parcel insurance fee.)