Dimage Z1 upgrade

Old February 28th 07, 09:22 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Tim Dolan

Default Dimage Z1 upgrade

Thanks a lot David.
I should check the FZ5. I rarely use the LCD except for looking at the pics.
Thanks again,
Tim fm CT
"David J Taylor"
wrote in message k...
Tim Dolan wrote:
[]
Thanks David,
Wow ! I liked the Canon Powershot S3 a lot. Being
realistic though, I just may jump on the Canon Powershot S2. It
seems like it will be great. Thank you
Tim fm CT

They are super cameras, Tim. I went for the Panasonic FZ5 because of its
better lens, but see how they handle for you. Having the swivel LCD on
the Canon S2 is a nice bonus.

David

Old February 28th 07, 11:54 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
J. Clarke

On Wed, 28 Feb 2007 21:22:56 GMT, "Tim Dolan"
wrote:

Thanks a lot David.
I should check the FZ5. I rarely use the LCD except for looking at the pics.

FWIW, the FZ5 is two generations old--the current model is the FZ7 and
its replacement, due to ship in March, is the FZ8. They also have a
"big brother" family in which the current model is the FZ50. The FZ50
is far more convenient to use in manual mode, with focus and zoom
rings on the lens and separate aperture and shutter speed dials, but
it's also larger and lacks the tele-macro capability of the FZ7. The
FZ8 is pretty much like the FZ7 but they've added RAW mode and done
some fine tuning.

There are pretty decent reviews of the FZ7, FZ8, and FZ50 at
http://www.dpreview.com and the manuals for the FZ7 and FZ50 can be
downloaded from the Panasonic USA site.

Since you're in CT if you want to check out an FZ7 in the field let me
know and if we can find a mutually convenient time I'll be happy to
let you play with mine.

Thanks again,
Tim fm CT
"David J Taylor"
wrote in message k...
[]

Old March 1st 07, 10:33 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
David J Taylor

Tim Dolan wrote:
"David J Taylor"
wrote in
message k...
Tim Dolan wrote:
[]
Thanks David,
Wow ! I liked the Canon Powershot S3 a lot. Being
realistic though, I just may jump on the Canon Powershot S2. It
seems like it will be great. Thank you
Tim fm CT

They are super cameras, Tim. I went for the Panasonic FZ5 because
of its better lens, but see how they handle for you. Having the
swivel LCD on the Canon S2 is a nice bonus.

David

Thanks a lot David.
I should check the FZ5. I rarely use the LCD except for looking at
the pics. Thanks again,
Tim fm CT

Just be aware that the Panasonic FZ5 is the same generation as the Canon
S2 IS you mentioned. As J. Clarke comments, there are more recent
versions. You may save some money if the FZ7 is reduced following the
introduction of the FZ8.

David

Old March 2nd 07, 06:33 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Tim Dolan

"David J Taylor"
wrote in message . uk...
Tim Dolan wrote:
"David J Taylor"
wrote in
message k...
Tim Dolan wrote:
[]
[...]

Hi David and J.
Man, this is getting tough, I've been using my Dimage
z1 for quite a while now and have had a focusing problem since the
beginning. I even sent it in for repairs. When it focuses clearly it
produces nice pics. But the uncertainty is frustrating.
I have a tendency to really get tied up in specs etc. and
probably seek more than I actually need. But I would like good video
capabilities.
We travel a lot and I do end up banging the camera around
while it is on my neck, not wanting to put it in and out of the case. So my
wife is "suggesting" that I get something small. (as in back pocket size
maybe)
I found the Canon SD700 IS that looks pretty neat but a little
short on the zoom.
Then I looked at the Panisonic what is it? F7. Geeze, that
looks good but back to size issue.
Please tell me this. How the heck can the compact cameras takes
much quality pictures? Or do they?
Oh yes, because I have a few SD memory cards, I'm considering that
too.
Am I hopeless or what?
Tim fm CT

Old March 2nd 07, 09:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David J Taylor

Tim Dolan wrote:
[]
[...]

Tim,

If you want compact, SD cards, image stabilisation, and 28 - 200mm zoom
you can throw this one into the equation:

http://www.digicamreview.co.uk/ricoh..._r5_review.htm

but possibly not if you are in the US. Yes, these cameras can take good
pictures, but the take the best pictures if you understand and work within
their limitations (small sensor = works best at low ISO = needs good light
or longer exposure).

Focussing works best if you place a high-contrast object with significant
edge detail near the centre of the picture to focus, and then re-compose
your image. Different cameras will differ in their exact needs.

Cheers,
David

Old March 4th 07, 10:28 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Tim Dolan

"David J Taylor"
wrote in message . uk...
Tim Dolan wrote:
[]
[...]

OK. Canon Power Shot S3 IS it is!
What the heck. The only thing it doesn't have is a 28mm lens capability. I'm
told that I can get an adapter for that.
Ok, I'll now date myself. I just found my Minolta SRT 200,
camera case, goodies AND THE BATTERY IS STILL GOOD !! Any way I've got
55mm polarizing filter, and sky filter and uv filter, and a special effects
thing that has three prism like sections. Can I adapt these 55mm lenses to
the Canon?
Will they work?
Tim fm ct