Maco Tp 64c: alternative developers

Old April 8th 06, 06:53 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

Default Maco Tp 64c: alternative developers

Hi all, I want to try Maco TP 64 C film. I know the suggested developer
is Maco Docufine LC, a low-contrast developer. From MSDS it is made by
HQ, sodium hydroxyde and sodium carbonate. Because of the difficult to
find it I'm looking for alternative developers, such as Rodinal, or
developers used for Kodak Tech Pan (Pota, Delagi, etc).

Thanks all

P.

Old April 9th 06, 02:58 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi all, I want to try Maco TP 64 C film. I know the
suggested developer
is Maco Docufine LC, a low-contrast developer. From MSDS
it is made by
HQ, sodium hydroxyde and sodium carbonate. Because of the
difficult to
find it I'm looking for alternative developers, such as
Rodinal, or
developers used for Kodak Tech Pan (Pota, Delagi, etc).

Thanks all

P.

From the ingredients listed Docufine sounds like a high
contrast developer for document copying. Very low contast
developers would not have _any_ of the three ingredients
listed.

--
---
Richard Knoppow

Old April 9th 06, 03:25 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi all, I want to try Maco TP 64 C film. I know the
suggested developer
is Maco Docufine LC, a low-contrast developer. From MSDS
it is made by
HQ, sodium hydroxyde and sodium carbonate. Because of the
difficult to
find it I'm looking for alternative developers, such as
Rodinal, or
developers used for Kodak Tech Pan (Pota, Delagi, etc).

Thanks all

P.

I found another MSDS at www.mahn.net/SIDocLCe.pdf Its in
German.
13047-13-7 4-Hydroxymethyl-4-methyl-1-phenyl-pyrazoliden 1-2
Xn 22-43

21799-87-1 Kalium-2,5-dihydroxybenzolsulfonat 1-2 Xi 36-43

111-46-6 Diethylenglykol 10 Xn 22

The first is Phenidone, the second is probably a sulphur
dioxide complex taking the place of potassium sulfite, the
third is diethylene glycol, a solvent to keep it all in
solution. The last 2 are common in concentrated liquid
developers.

The German MSDS indicates that there may also be Metol
and Sulfite in it but its worded strangely. There would be
no purpose to them in this developer.

The English MSDS you found is evidently an error, the
ingredients appear to be those of Docufine HC, the high
contrast version of the developer.

This is similar to Kodak Technidol Liquid. POTA, a
mixture of Phenidone and Sufite, is the original extremely
low contrast developer but there were reports of it
producing uneven development on Technical Pan. It may work
fine on this stuff.

There are a number of variations of POTA, this one is
typical.

Water at 125 F------------300 mL
Sodium Sulfite-------------30 g
Phenidone-----------------1.5 g
Water to make --------------1 Liter Use full strength.
Development time on the order of 10 to 15
minutes.

--
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA,

Old April 9th 06, 07:56 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

Richard Knoppow wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

I think the MSDS I've found is wrong, this is the link:

http://www.freestylephoto.biz/pdf/ms...ocufine_LC.pdf

Reading Anchell's book it is clear that HQ, as said in this topic, is a
high contrast developer. So surely it must not be used for low contrast
pourpose. So I'll try POTA or, as first attempt, very diluite Rodinal
(1+300) in a pseudo-static process, developing for 30 mins with only
three agitations: at the beginning and every 12 mins. If somebody
tried something else with this film, please let me know.
Thanks

P.

Old April 10th 06, 11:06 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

Nicholas O. Lindan wrote:

The mother of Technidol is POTA: Phenidone and sulfite.

There are variations by Crawley and others, ...

ME! POTA PRINT DEVELOPER! Interesting High Key
results. Sulfite it only or add some Carbonate.
Other additions make it look promising as an extended
range Contrast Control print developer. Dan