Golden summer sunset

Old January 3rd 08, 04:12 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,aus.photo
Father McKenzie

Default Golden summer sunset

Even with the horizon out of level.

http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne...8280048&size=l

Old January 3rd 08, 04:31 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm, rec.photo.digital, aus.photo
[email protected]

On Jan 3, 2:12 pm, Father McKenzie wrote:
Even with the horizon out of level.

http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne...8280048&size=l

Nice work - good exposure choice, well composed. The horizon is
within about 0.5°, which is normally not that big a deal, but I think
those sweeping angled clouds somehow make the shot look more tilted
than it is.

Again, I would draw visitor's attention to *this* shot of Fr
MacKenzie's:

http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne...1371512&size=l

... Smashing!!
Old January 3rd 08, 04:41 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,aus.photo
Father McKenzie

wrote:
On Jan 3, 2:12 pm, Father McKenzie wrote:
Even with the horizon out of level.

http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne...8280048&size=l

Nice work - good exposure choice, well composed. The horizon is
within about 0.5°, which is normally not that big a deal, but I think
those sweeping angled clouds somehow make the shot look more tilted
than it is.

The clouds could be doing it or the paper clip one side of my monitor is
sitting on.

Again, I would draw visitor's attention to *this* shot of Fr
MacKenzie's:

http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne...1371512&size=l

... Smashing!!

I take it you like this one Mark? I wish I had gone in a few more
times to get some more shots but I couldn't be bothered with the crowds.
Old January 3rd 08, 04:53 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm, rec.photo.digital, aus.photo
[email protected]

On Jan 3, 2:41 pm, Father McKenzie wrote:
wrote:
On Jan 3, 2:12 pm, Father McKenzie wrote:
Even with the horizon out of level.

http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne...8280048&size=l

Nice work - good exposure choice, well composed. The horizon is
within about 0.5°, which is normally not that big a deal, but I think
those sweeping angled clouds somehow make the shot look more tilted
than it is.

The clouds could be doing it or the paper clip one side of my monitor is
sitting on.

yeah, that's probably it - can you remove that paper clip, and then
I'll take another look? (O;

http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne...xt=set-7215759....

... Smashing!!

I take it you like this one Mark? I wish I had gone in a few more
times to get some more shots but I couldn't be bothered with the crowds.

You've noticed? (O: Yep, I like it a lot. Reminds me of those huge-
wave-over-the-lighthouse images you often see as posters, but the dusk
colours just make that one a winner for me.
Old January 3rd 08, 05:55 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,aus.photo
Kevin McMurtrie

In article ,
Father McKenzie wrote:

Even with the horizon out of level.

http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne...8280048&size=l

Excellent! Is that a dark halo around the sun or the area before a wide
bright halo? It's not your average sunset.

--
I don't read Google's spam. Reply with another service.
Old January 3rd 08, 12:08 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm, rec.photo.digital, aus.photo
[email protected]

On Jan 2, 11:12*pm, Father McKenzie wrote:
Even with the horizon out of level.

http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne...8280048&size=l

You have some stunning images. Congrats!
Helen
Old January 3rd 08, 02:53 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,aus.photo
Mike

"Kevin McMurtrie" wrote in message
Father McKenzie wrote:

Even with the horizon out of level.

http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne...8280048&size=l

Excellent! Is that a dark halo around the sun or the area before a wide
bright halo? It's not your average sunset.

That's from overuse of photoshop.

Old January 3rd 08, 05:44 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,aus.photo
Mack

"Mike"wrote:
"Kevin McMurtrie" wrote
Father McKenzie wrote:
http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne...8280048&size=l

Excellent! Is that a dark halo around the sun or the area before a wide
bright halo? It's not your average sunset.

That's from overuse of photoshop.

OK. Tell me what caused this. It's a sunrise shot in early
September, in New England. I may have tweaked the levels
in photoshop, I don't recall. I do know that the original had
that ring around the Sun, right out of the camera.
The shot is over a year old, so as I said, I don't recall how
much I may have tweaked it. Not much, if memory serves.
My guess is ice crystals in the atmosphere.
Gear used is a Nikon D50, w/ Sigma 24-70 f2.8 zoom.
Might have had a PL or haze filter. Not sure.

http://i10.tinypic.com/6ynu8mt.jpg

--
Mack from Mass

Old January 3rd 08, 06:03 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
Paul Furman

Mack wrote:
"Mike"wrote:
"Kevin McMurtrie" wrote
Father McKenzie wrote:
http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne...8280048&size=l
Excellent! Is that a dark halo around the sun or the area before a wide
bright halo? It's not your average sunset.

That's from overuse of photoshop.

OK. Tell me what caused this. It's a sunrise shot in early
September, in New England. I may have tweaked the levels
in photoshop, I don't recall. I do know that the original had
that ring around the Sun, right out of the camera.
The shot is over a year old, so as I said, I don't recall how
much I may have tweaked it. Not much, if memory serves.
My guess is ice crystals in the atmosphere.
Gear used is a Nikon D50, w/ Sigma 24-70 f2.8 zoom.
Might have had a PL or haze filter. Not sure.

http://i10.tinypic.com/6ynu8mt.jpg

This site likely has an explanation:
http://www.atoptics.co.uk/
Old January 3rd 08, 09:11 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,aus.photo
D-Mac[_4_]

"Mack" wrote in message
"Mike"wrote:
"Kevin McMurtrie" wrote
Father McKenzie wrote:
http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne...8280048&size=l

Excellent! Is that a dark halo around the sun or the area before a wide
bright halo? It's not your average sunset.

That's from overuse of photoshop.

OK. Tell me what caused this. It's a sunrise shot in early
September, in New England. I may have tweaked the levels
in photoshop, I don't recall. I do know that the original had
that ring around the Sun, right out of the camera.
The shot is over a year old, so as I said, I don't recall how
much I may have tweaked it. Not much, if memory serves.
My guess is ice crystals in the atmosphere.
Gear used is a Nikon D50, w/ Sigma 24-70 f2.8 zoom.
Might have had a PL or haze filter. Not sure.

http://i10.tinypic.com/6ynu8mt.jpg

--
Mack from Mass

I'm not saying this photos is done like this but...
This sort of thing usually occurs when you try to increase the saturation
and contrast whilst in 8 bit mode. You can do a double "mask" with generous
feathering then blur the area to remove it but frankly, I see it as an
element of the photo. I'd leave it there.

Douglas