The "kit" lens revisited, is it as bad as they say?

Old August 26th 05, 03:17 AM
jean

"Colin D" a écrit dans le message de

jean wrote:

I have taken 2 pictures, one at f8 and the other at f16 with the

following
lenses:

Canon EFs 18-55 f4,5-5,6 ("kit" lens modified to fit on a 10D)
Canon EF 50mm f1,8
Canon EF 24-85 f3,5-4,5
Canon EF 35-80 f4-5,6
Canon EF 24-70 f2,8 L

So we have 4 zooms, 3 plastic cheapie lenses, one middle of the road

zoom
and a primo pro lens. The "kit" lens is one of the early ones which

came
with my Drebel, the newer ones are said to be better. I tried to put

all
lenses at 50mm and not move the tripod but there are still some slight
changes from one lens to the other.

The pictures are at http://www.pbase.com/jeandr/50mm_test

Now which is which?

Jean

PS These are all TIFF files and at about 4Mb each so a broadband

connection
is better for download. There is no EXIF to make sure no one cheats

(unless
I missed something embedded in the files which is quite possible)

Autofocus, or manually focused, with good eyesight? If autofocus,
forget comparisons.

Autofocus, good eyesight, 3 shots took the one that looked the best to my
good eyes with reading glasses. At that distance, I would think autofocus
would not be an issue.

Jean

Old August 26th 05, 06:18 AM
Colin D

RichA wrote:

On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 11:16:07 +1200, Colin D
wrote:

jean wrote:

[...]

Colin D.

Does that mean autofocus is erratic or never accurate?
-Rich

neither. autofocus is accurate - at least on Canons {:-), but with a
subject containing some depth, like these test shots, with large bushes
in the foreground, an oblique angle on the buildings, and a seven-point
focus system, who knows where the focus was. I wager most people looked
at the roof skyline or chimney, and I bet that wasn't the point of
focus. All this means the shots were demonstrating dof and not much
else.

Colin D.
Old August 26th 05, 08:00 AM
Stacey

jean wrote:

And to me too, I like my Canon stuff. I don't have a Nikon so I can't say
which is better or if it is better.

Most of the "canonites" have never used anything but a canon so have NO idea
what else is out there. Many of them started with a Canon autofocus 35mm
and have never used anything else.

--

Stacey
Old August 26th 05, 08:00 AM
Stacey

jean wrote:

I have taken 2 pictures,

And could you have blown the highlights out any more? Even the roof of the
house is blown to oblivion!

The pictures are at http://www.pbase.com/jeandr/50mm_test

If you want to post a "lens test", post some full rez crops of each one.

--

Stacey
Old August 26th 05, 08:01 AM
Stacey

jean wrote:

At that distance, I would think autofocus
would not be an issue.

You're assuming none of the lenses front or back focus.

--

Stacey
Old August 26th 05, 11:14 AM
Thomas Müller

Colin D wrote:

Jean

PS These are all TIFF files and at about 4Mb each so a broadband
connection
is better for download. There is no EXIF to make sure no one cheats
(unless I missed something embedded in the files which is quite possible)

Autofocus, or manually focused, with good eyesight? If autofocus,
forget comparisons.

Why? Maybe he should make 5 Shots, and select the worst, but if I buy an
autofocus lense, i want the autofocus to work properly.
Old August 26th 05, 11:51 AM
Colin D

Thomas Müller wrote:

Colin D wrote:

Jean

PS These are all TIFF files and at about 4Mb each so a broadband
connection
is better for download. There is no EXIF to make sure no one cheats
(unless I missed something embedded in the files which is quite possible)

Autofocus, or manually focused, with good eyesight? If autofocus,
forget comparisons.

Why? Maybe he should make 5 Shots, and select the worst, but if I buy an
autofocus lense, i want the autofocus to work properly.

See my answer to Rich about four posts back.

Colin D.
Old August 26th 05, 12:02 PM
dylan

"jean" wrote in message
[...]

How about ?

1- 50mm
2-18-55
3- 24-70
4- 24-85
5- 35-80

Old August 26th 05, 03:13 PM
jean

"Stacey" a écrit dans le message de
jean wrote:

And to me too, I like my Canon stuff. I don't have a Nikon so I can't

say
which is better or if it is better.

Most of the "canonites" have never used anything but a canon so have NO

idea
what else is out there. Many of them started with a Canon autofocus 35mm
and have never used anything else.

I started out with a Canon TL, and then moved to an FTb. My first digital
SLR was a Drebel and I was dissapointed with it's manual focusing abilities
just as I am with my current DSLR (10D) so I rely on the autofocus. I works
most of the time especially if only one focus point is selected. With
action shots, there is no way I could do better manually, AI servo mode is a
shot saver.

Jean

Old August 26th 05, 03:19 PM
jean

"dylan" a écrit dans le message de

"jean" wrote in message
[...]

40% you got two right. 1 and 3. Now if anyone cares about picking the two
remaining choices (#4 was given in a previous post).

Jean